Old 29 March 2011, 05:31   #41

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
I was a passenger on the Pride of Bilbao when she ran down the Ouzo ,I was on deck within the hour before she ran the yatch down. It was pitch dark and the curtains around the chart area were open and the lights blazing,I walked up to as far as I could get to the bridge on both sides and could see no one on watch.
At the subsequent enquiry I believe that this was confirmed and also that the single person on watch was wearing reactolite glasses and due to the unshielded white lights on the bridge could not see properly as his night vision was doubly impaired.
Several radars were running but presumably not being looked at.
In my opinion as a sailor and powerboater someone should have gone to jail for a long time for manslaughter. Three sailors drowned,all were wearing lifejackets all of which worked.
The ship was not keeping a proper lookout.
Possibly the same in this case,In my opinion if your employer wants you to take risks that may lead to you killing someone then you should get another job.
If I had stayed on deck for another hour then I might have seen something and been able to alert the crew,but I didn't.

Old 29 March 2011, 05:58   #42

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
trawling in the shipping lanes
is that illegal? I have a dutch friend, skipper of a huge trawler that trawls along the traffic seperation lanes. He has the ferry timetables in the wheelhouse and trawls for Horse Mackerel (scad) which when frozen go off to Africa.

Old 29 March 2011, 06:20   #43

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun View Post
I was a passenger on the Pride of Bilbao when she ran down the Ouzo ,I was on deck within the hour before she ran the yatch down. It was pitch dark and the curtains around the chart area were open and the lights blazing,I walked up to as far as I could get to the bridge on both sides and could see no one on watch.
At the subsequent enquiry I believe that this was confirmed and also that the single person on watch was wearing reactolite glasses and due to the unshielded white lights on the bridge could not see properly as his night vision was doubly impaired.
Several radars were running but presumably not being looked at.
In my opinion as a sailor and powerboater someone should have gone to jail for a long time for manslaughter. Three sailors drowned,all were wearing lifejackets all of which worked.
The ship was not keeping a proper lookout.
Possibly the same in this case,In my opinion if your employer wants you to take risks that may lead to you killing someone then you should get another job.
If I had stayed on deck for another hour then I might have seen something and been able to alert the crew,but I didn't.
I would second that too Bosun ,having travelled a number of times on the ship ,i too noticed that at times there seemed to be no one to be visibly seen on watch on the bridge , I did also hear from a passenger (as my wife was a bit concerned that no one was driving) that at times they use people from the whale watch brigade onboard to act as look outs .
Old 29 March 2011, 06:29   #44

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Yeah Ok i'l bite.....

So what your saying is the ferries deliberately leave the channel/shipping lanes risking potential grounding to 'play' with the fisherman?.....or is it maybe a case of the fishermen laying pots and trawling in the shipping lanes because they know theres is a better chance of a good catch?...hmmm interesting one.

Simon
no it's true, they have a fair amount of space most of the time and the channel is wide enough, god knows the red jet doesn't even follow deep water channel most of the time, with all the space they have, if they see us fishing or any other fisherman they'll cut him close
Old 29 March 2011, 06:59   #45

Length: 7m +
I love a good debate, sounds like were getting into horror stories, if you want some I have a few, when I was in my early twenties I worked for various cruise lines for nearly 8 years and have plenty of scary stories; here are a few

1. We used to hit whales crossing the gulf of mexico, some would get stuck on the bow - oops
2. We changed from English Coxswains to another nationaility to save money, two days after this was done and we were in Alaska going up the inside passage in a narrow stretch of water I marvelled at how close we were heading for the near bank, 20 seconds later the ship turned extremely hard to avoid the bank - oops
3. Coming out of Portland Oregan after a $250K small refirb we hit a stretch of water where two currents meet, ship listed 42degrees and $150K of damage was done to the shops onboard and other area's - oops
4.A women had an argument with her husband and threatened to jump overboard , he said go on then and she did, luckily a deck hand saw her and we were in Carribean at midnight on a clear evening with smooth seas, manage to find her and pick her up after 45minutes, ship listed heavily on the announcement and damage was done to several areas due to the hard turn, chairs etc falling over.She and her husband were disembarked from the ship at the next port and the Captain sent a letter to the airline they were flying back with to inform them of their recreational tendancies - oops
5. We hit a few fishing vessels in Alaska in the inside passage, not much room but im surprised the bridge did not spot them.
6. A number of large bumps when docking
7. A couple of incidents with buckled deck plating in Routh Weather
8. A lifeboat fell on a crew member while training
9. Several suicides from crew jumping overboard
10. A few engine fires, two cinema fires
11. Several times at lifeboat staions for real but never had to abandon ship
12. A few broken windows in routh weather
13. The funniest one was a cadet at the wheel of one of the lifeboats that was used as a tender to take passengers ashore, he turned round to talk to a passenger and the lifeboats wheel fell off...

Most people don't realise how dangerous being at sea can be. I am saddened by the ferry incident, I am hoping perhaps Condor and other Ferry companies will eventually learn from this incident. Reading alot of teh stories about ferries on this it sounds very scarry indeed. I don't think the media has picked up on the issue of the Fog and speed as yet.
Old 29 March 2011, 07:32   #46

Town: Jersey
Length: no boat
I'm new to all this boating malarky! But should the fishing boat have had an AIS or something similar? Or is it not law for a small and slower craft?
Old 29 March 2011, 07:33   #47

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy00 View Post
I'm new to all this boating malarky! But should the fishing boat have had an AIS or something similar? Or is it not law for a small and slower craft?
Not law for anything under 300 gross tons.

More fishing vessels are fitting transmitters, but it is purely voluntary.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:07   #48

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Do we know if the fishing vessel was fitted with radar, if so how didn't spot the cat?
Old 29 March 2011, 08:29   #49

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
More fishing vessels are fitting transmitters, but it is purely voluntary.
More so the boats that fish the channel, not so much the boats that fish down this way. Plus some that do have ais turn it off so as not give away their position to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Do we know if the fishing vessel was fitted with radar, if so how didn't spot the cat?
Too busy fishing no doubt, although could have set up a collision zone alarm to alert them if anything came their way
Old 29 March 2011, 10:03   #50

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Fishing

This was a very sad incident and condolences to the French family of Granville.

This incident was not on a shipping lane but was on a well trodden route by the condor, with modern aids they are probably not far off the same track day in day out especially on this St Malo Jersey route. This can be seen on any AIS tracking sites.

It was a whelk fishing boat, if it was hauling at the time the speed of the vessel would of been less than 2 knots. They probably heard the roar of the condor as well as the foghorn from some distance and may have mistakenly assumed the condor could 'see' them on RADAR and would make a suitable adjustment.

Had an alarm been set for a half mile alert on RADAR this would of given less than 1 minute for the fishing vessel to do anything. They would of had to cut their lines to make way or start shooting the gear (itself a dangerous part of the job). This would also be a bad decision as it would be unexpected by the Condor crew had they been aware of the fishing boat and already be giving it room. The bridge of an Incat is not a place you would hear a fog horn from the fishing vessel. I think they have bridge voice recorders onboard which hopefully will reveal the exact happenings on the day.

I will await the full report following any investigation and hope that the company's 'safety culture' is not a contributing factor.