Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 September 2005, 09:58   #91
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Just got back from a fortnights holiday and I find this slagging match going on! I have heard many good and one bad report (Nofears) of Olmec tubes. I have no idea whether Ed did or did not splash the V-type design but by discussing it on a public forum it puts both companys in a bad light. Considering the V-type market and clientele I would expect this issue to be dealt in a more professional manner.

regards

Alex
__________________

__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 10:16   #92
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
richard sorry about the wrong year this was the info i was given by my insurers in reply to the question by nofear . jono you seem to have it wrong i started negotiations with prosport a few months before will left olmec and made our first tube for them the week before will joined me .i have no sour grapes towards olmec ive just gained some of his customers and on the prosport thread commented on ospreys being good boats which olmec tube . i do find it wrong though that people can splash / copy someone elses hull and get away with it whatever baggage is involved the reasons for this are one i consider it to be theft and two if the person splashing the hull does not have the correct input from the designer you stand the chance of incidents like the rib breaking in st ives happening which is bad news for all in the trade .
P.S. im to sweet to have sour grapes
__________________

__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 10:36   #93
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
richard sorry about the wrong year this was the info i was given by my insurers in reply to the question by nofear . jono you seem to have it wrong i started negotiations with prosport a few months before will left olmec and made our first tube for them the week before will joined me .i have no sour grapes towards olmec ive just gained some of his customers and on the prosport thread commented on ospreys being good boats which olmec tube . i do find it wrong though that people can splash / copy someone elses hull and get away with it whatever baggage is involved the reasons for this are one i consider it to be theft and two if the person splashing the hull does not have the correct input from the designer you stand the chance of incidents like the rib breaking in st ives happening which is bad news for all in the trade .
P.S. im to sweet to have sour grapes


I wasn't going to go any further on this but there are few things I'd like to pick up on.

Do you know that the "St Ives" RIB broke up because of anything other than bad workmanship? If so could you tell us why it broke?

Do you know that Ed "splashed" a hull? I take it you know that Ed certainly had a V type hull in his works and what happened to that hull.

I am quite sure that you were "under negotiation" prior to Will leaving Olmec. Did Will make tubes for ProSport when he was with Ed? Does he make them now? Did Will bring the ProSport tube patterns with him when he left Ed?




I have often heard the expression, one that I'm quite taken with... “There are three sides to this story...Yours, His and the Truth...."

.
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 10:46   #94
Member
 
ribraff's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,209
Now here i was all geared up to put in my side of the story which i am sure many people would like to hear. Having read your post Jono i think you are right. This is an issue between David Farmer (Domino) and myself.
For that reason i do find it odd Mr Tilley that you seem to be screaming louder than anyone else on this issue.
__________________
Hypalon Tubes built in-house,retubing, repairs, Accessories
www.ribtube.co.uk
ribraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 11:38   #95
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
jono my comment was that you stand a chance of incidents like the st ives one happening perhaps i should have said greater chance .is it not better to try and limit these incidentswhether caused by lack of technical input or bad workmanship . i now know the man who was paid by olmec to make the mould from the v type hull .when i was approached by prosport to quote for their tubes i informed ed and actually quoted a higher price than him .will and ed both made prosports tubes will does not make them now and did not need to bring patterns as i had previously designed patterns whilst at ribeye prior to ed starting in business all patterns i have designed are signed copy right p a tilley if you have any more questions please feel free to ask
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 12:20   #96
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
jono my comment was that you stand a chance of incidents like the st ives one happening perhaps i should have said greater chance .is it not better to try and limit these incidentswhether caused by lack of technical input or bad workmanship .
What you intimated was that the hull was splashed and because the designer didn't have any input, it failed. So, why did that particular boat break apart? Was it a design flaw or poor workmanship? How many designers actually oversee the laminating of the genuine article ? I'll exclude Humber here, because the ol' fellow still takes a keen interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
i now know the man who was paid by olmec to make the mould from the v type hull
.

Well, good for you. Do you know why? Do you know how many boats came out of the mould? You are beginning to sound like a man with a grudge, despite your protestations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
when i was approached by prosport to quote for their tubes i informed ed and actually quoted a higher price than him .will and ed both made prosports tubes will does not make them now and did not need to bring patterns as i had previously designed patterns whilst at ribeye prior to ed starting in business all patterns i have designed are signed copy right p a tilley if you have any more questions please feel free to ask
I didn't ask whether or not Will "needed" to bring the patterns, Just whether he did or not.
So, whilst working for Ribeye, you designed patterns for ProSport? Did Ribeye agree to you taking the patterns with you when you left? Does the intellectual property of drawings and design not vest itself in the Company for which the designer works, or has all that changed now?
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 12:46   #97
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
jono i was trying to intimate that a hull with proper design input should be better than a copied item but you cannot always rule out the fact that there will be occasional bad workmanship .will did not bring templates / patterns from olmec and i paid for all of the tube equipment and materials that i had from ribeye it was a very good price as they no longer had need of them and it was a great help in starting my business .and yes i do know why ed copied the hull now but in my opinion think it is a separate issue
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 16:24   #98
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
however, since I’ve got a minute or two
More like an Hour or Two

Do you have your secetary type these post for you???
__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 16:43   #99
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
More like an Hour or Two

Do you have your secetary type these post for you???
Feck off, Shorty... or I'll tell everyone ya can't kickstart yer motorbike...ya whimp!
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 16:45   #100
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
i paid for all of the tube equipment and materials that i had from ribeye
A good thing to hear. So, Ribeye used to tube ProSports did they? Bloody Hell..it's a right convoluted world is this boat business...
__________________

__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.