Old 10 July 2018, 17:00   #11

Town: Maybole
Boat name: Greylag
Make: AVON Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 70hp
Hi Kaz,
You need to watch the rear section of the Searider floor as it thins down in the last 300mm from the transom to one layer of plywood: if you look and or feel up through the rear drain outlet of the hull you will see what I mean. Better use jeffs' idea and use an inflatable seat but in front of the jockey unit - that way you will see they are OK. Best wishes iain

Old 11 July 2018, 13:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Ahh thanks that has helped me to understasnd. So i use the sikaflex to create a false floor which i position the seat on and use the self tappers to fix the seat to the sikaflex which will harden and secure it. That sounds like my best option, thank you.
No. Unless I am reading it wrong.
You will apply sikaflex to the floor (or seat base) and then screw the base to the deck which compresses the still wet sika. It is a very good adhesive as well as sealant so glues the seat and seals any gap. It is very important you use a proper marine adhesive for this and not just some bathroom sealer. https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/maib-repo...ck-seats-12819
Old 11 July 2018, 17:41   #13

Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
RIBase
To give you an idea of the strength of Sikaflex..I was removing a console that was held in place with self tappers and Sikaflex, I removed all the self tappers and placed a strop through the console to lift it out with a tractor. I lifted the WHOLE boat up off the trailer when trying to lift console.

I had to cut it out in the end.
Old 11 July 2018, 18:10   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
To give you the opposite story - I know someone who glued down all the bearers for a floating floor in the wheelhouse of a boat. When everything dried, you could just peel off the bearers and the Sikaflex. There was apparently insufficient time to prepare the substrate although it turned out that there was sufficient time to do it twice!
Old 12 July 2018, 04:27   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
To give you an idea of the strength of Sikaflex..I was removing a console that was held in place with self tappers and Sikaflex, I removed all the self tappers and placed a strop through the console to lift it out with a tractor. I lifted the WHOLE boat up off the trailer when trying to lift console.

I had to cut it out in the end.
+1 although i didnt have a tractor to hand i cut it with a multi tool then used hardwood wedges to crack the seal and thats a joint between a fiberglass jockey seat and a flow coated floor.replaced with shock seats on aluminum bases stuck down the same way with no probs.