Kaz

Town: Bridgwater
Boat name: Dory
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard yamaha 30hp
fixing in seats

Hi all,

I'm after some advice about fixing seats into my rib. It's a 4 metre avon searider with a double jockey seat. I want to fix another seat in the back but am not sure how to fix the seat to the floor. Any advice on the type of seat and hoe to fix it in would be greatly appreciated?

It will be used to carry passengers and as a fishing seat. I dont want a bench seat unless it has a back to it for comfort.

Thanks.

Kaz
Old 09 July 2018, 23:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
There's not a lot of room in an SR4 for another jockey, you might be stuck with a bench.
At least the underside of a bench gives you storage room.

Sikaflex 291i and stainless self-tappers for fitting,or you could glass it in if you're feeling confident.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2018, 23:38   #3
Kaz

Agreed, I measured 40mm between engine and jockey including leaving a bit of room and wondered whether i could get a single captains seat in that swivels but wasn't sure how to fix it? If i used self tappers would this not cause a potential leak. Forgive my lack of knowledge but I am new to boat owning so learning as I go. :-)
Old 10 July 2018, 00:01   #4

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
FWIW I bought my used rib from the manufacturer and wanted more seating.
They said "sikaflex and self tappers" is where it's at now.
If it was new from factory, they would be glassed in.
So, if done correctly either is fine as a method of installation.
(I went for the OEM spec and had them glassed)

The under-seat storage is great but we've yet to fill every seat so measure need against expectation with a cold anti-social eye
Old 10 July 2018, 00:07   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
A swivel captains seat will likely break the deck (and if it doesn't it'll be unstable) -it's quite thin on an sr4.

Sikaflex 291i is a polyurethane flexible marine sealant.Screw the new seat base down onto a bed of sikaflex. It'll squeeze into every available gap as the screws tighten. (masking off where the base will go with WIDE masking tape will help as well, Sikaflex goes a long way)
it's a very very strong way of fitting a console.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 00:19   #6

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Aww

At the risk of showing my ignorance of SeaRiders..although I expect to remedy this very soon........
Would you be better off putting the additional passenger sitting on the tube? Not ideal, but lots if sailing clubs manage quite well.
To me Ribs, below a critically expensive length, are one directional. You face forward in the seat. Everything else is a battle between your ankles/knees and the boat.
Cluttering the deck space with an additional seat may frustrate you when fishing when you want to move about.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:02   #7
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
A swivel captains seat will likely break the deck (and if it doesn't it'll be unstable) -it's quite thin on an sr4.

Sikaflex 291i is a polyurethane flexible marine sealant.Screw the new seat base down onto a bed of sikaflex. It'll squeeze into every available gap as the screws tighten. (masking off where the base will go with WIDE masking tape will help as well, Sikaflex goes a long way)
it's a very very strong way of fitting a console.
Ahh thanks that has helped me to understasnd. So i use the sikaflex to create a false floor which i position the seat on and use the self tappers to fix the seat to the sikaflex which will harden and secure it. That sounds like my best option, thank you.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:08   #8
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
At the risk of showing my ignorance of SeaRiders..although I expect to remedy this very soon........
Would you be better off putting the additional passenger sitting on the tube? Not ideal, but lots if sailing clubs manage quite well.
To me Ribs, below a critically expensive length, are one directional. You face forward in the seat. Everything else is a battle between your ankles/knees and the boat.
Cluttering the deck space with an additional seat may frustrate you when fishing when you want to move about.
Thanks for your reply. I will mainly be using the boat to take friends out for some fun, some are a little nervous and would feel safer sat in the boat as apposed to on the tubes. I will also be taking my dad out on a couple of fishing trips.
Old 10 July 2018, 09:50   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
have you thought of an inflatable seat pack it away when not in use

https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/colle...nt=10589327495
Old 10 July 2018, 13:59   #10

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Just on the Sikaflex.

291i is a multi-purpose sealant and adhesive. If you are really trying to glue them down, 292i is a better bet but the key to successful bonding using either of these products is decent preparation.
Old 10 July 2018, 21:00   #11

Town: Maybole
Boat name: Greylag
Make: AVON Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 70hp
Hi Kaz,
You need to watch the rear section of the Searider floor as it thins down in the last 300mm from the transom to one layer of plywood: if you look and or feel up through the rear drain outlet of the hull you will see what I mean. Better use jeffs' idea and use an inflatable seat but in front of the jockey unit - that way you will see they are OK. Best wishes iain
Old 11 July 2018, 17:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Ahh thanks that has helped me to understasnd. So i use the sikaflex to create a false floor which i position the seat on and use the self tappers to fix the seat to the sikaflex which will harden and secure it. That sounds like my best option, thank you.
No. Unless I am reading it wrong.
You will apply sikaflex to the floor (or seat base) and then screw the base to the deck which compresses the still wet sika. It is a very good adhesive as well as sealant so glues the seat and seals any gap. It is very important you use a proper marine adhesive for this and not just some bathroom sealer. https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/maib-repo...ck-seats-12819
Old 11 July 2018, 21:41   #13

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
To give you an idea of the strength of Sikaflex..I was removing a console that was held in place with self tappers and Sikaflex, I removed all the self tappers and placed a strop through the console to lift it out with a tractor. I lifted the WHOLE boat up off the trailer when trying to lift console.

I had to cut it out in the end.
Old 11 July 2018, 22:10   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
To give you the opposite story - I know someone who glued down all the bearers for a floating floor in the wheelhouse of a boat. When everything dried, you could just peel off the bearers and the Sikaflex. There was apparently insufficient time to prepare the substrate although it turned out that there was sufficient time to do it twice!
Old 12 July 2018, 08:27   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
To give you an idea of the strength of Sikaflex..I was removing a console that was held in place with self tappers and Sikaflex, I removed all the self tappers and placed a strop through the console to lift it out with a tractor. I lifted the WHOLE boat up off the trailer when trying to lift console.

I had to cut it out in the end.
+1 although i didnt have a tractor to hand i cut it with a multi tool then used hardwood wedges to crack the seal and thats a joint between a fiberglass jockey seat and a flow coated floor.replaced with shock seats on aluminum bases stuck down the same way with no probs.