Old 28 April 2013, 08:20   #11

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Hey mate I've got one on my basically identical motor, and it seems to help to get out of the hole quicker, with heavier loads on and stay on the plane longer with less throttle. So I guess it would save on fuel. FYI you can easily put on a electric starter motor kit for those outboards. Only problem ya gotta carry a big ass battery. Have fun pineapple ! You must live in Queensland with a name like that?

Old 28 April 2013, 18:06   #12

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but someone said about installing electric start on these motors. I have the 25hp 2 stroke tohatsu. How much would it cost to install electric start with second hand parts?

Old 28 April 2013, 20:59   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Don't need an hydrofoil, just distribute passengers aft, bow accordingly, trim your engine to be perpendicyular to wate level, throttle to 1/2-3/4 and that combo will plane very fast. Hydrofoils are kelp, garbage collectors, used when engine is underpowered to help plane. If 30 HP is top for that size sib, is a waist of money. Better save some cash and buy an induction hour/tach meter.

Happy Boating
Old 29 April 2013, 06:25   #14

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Grimley View Post
Hey mate I've got one on my basically identical motor, and it seems to help to get out of the hole quicker, with heavier loads on and stay on the plane longer with less throttle. So I guess it would save on fuel. FYI you can easily put on a electric starter motor kit for those outboards. Only problem ya gotta carry a big ass battery. Have fun pineapple ! You must live in Queensland with a name like that?
I looked at electric starts but like you said, it requires a big battery. Could you use a bike battery perhaps? Anyhow I wanted to keep it simple so I installed a rectifier and will be charging a bike battery. All it will be doing is a pump, little fridge and lights.

Yeah I'm based in Brisbane but currently in Newie for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Don't need an hydrofoil, just distribute passengers aft, bow accordingly, trim your engine to be perpendicyular to wate level, throttle to 1/2-3/4 and that combo will plane very fast. Hydrofoils are kelp, garbage collectors, used when engine is underpowered to help plane. If 30 HP is top for that size sib, is a waist of money. Better save some cash and buy an induction hour/tach meter.

Happy Boating

Cheers for the tip locozodiac. Besides a hour/tach metre, I was wondering a temp light would be handy. I swapped boats with a mate and on the weekend and noticed the light had come on. Turned out the pump had failed. Thought it would be nice to have that tool regardless mine is a new motor.
Old 29 April 2013, 08:27   #15

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but someone said about installing electric start on these motors. I have the 25hp 2 stroke tohatsu. How much would it cost to install electric start with second hand parts?
Not sure about second hand gear , but I think it's around $600AUD new.
Old 29 April 2013, 10:52   #16

Pineapple,

A bike battery is too poor, lacks correct amps to insist turning engine on if that horse doesn't want to start at 1st, second attempt. Need a marine grade bat with 70 amps minimun to factory match engine/bat combo.

Happy Boating
Old 03 May 2013, 02:32   #17

Length: 3m +
Cheers Locozodiac. I noticed that the railings on the floor can be used for tie downs but the channel is different to a commercial track tray. I probably could modify a hook point but do zodiac have a their own? Or reccomend something else?

Cheers
Old 03 May 2013, 09:57   #18

Sorry Pineapple,

Both Tohatsu 18 & 30 HP in current use are rope start, don't like having bats on top deck, maybe you could find a bat tray and secure to alum floor side to transom.

Happy Boating