Old 16 April 2013, 08:27   #1

Length: 3m +
Zodiac Grand Raid Mk2

G'day Everyone,

First timer here. Got a few questions regarding the zodiac grand raid mk2 (3.8).

Will be using this SIB for cruising/hooning around the water and a bit of fishing. Currently looking at outboard 2 strokes and there are many out there to choose from. But at the end of the day, there all the same if not much of the muchness.

Going off from the specs on the zodiac page, it requires a long shaft. What do you guys use long or short? pros/cons

HP size. Thinking of 30HP (tiller) at the moment but at the same time, I wouldn't mind a 40HP remote steer. Due to weight of the 40HP (72kg (30HP 51kg)) and the zodiac (83kg + cargo) keep thinking that it's too much. What do you guys think? I'm not racing it but I do like to go fast when I can. Is 30 sufficient?

Which brand motor? Leaning towards the mercury at the moment.

Options/ your 2cents???

Most of all, post any pictures/links of your/peoples setup. E.g forward steer, seats, accessories or mods.

Much appreciated

Cheers
Old 16 April 2013, 12:49   #2

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Hey mate, 30 horse is perfect for that size SIB. I used to have a 20 horse mariner on a zodiac mk 3 GR(4.7m) ,and it went well. I now have a 25hp Tohatsu on a 4metre RIB and it flys! It's light enough to take on and off if you need. By the way, all I did with my tohatsu 25 to make it a 30,was to remove the restricter at the intake pipe on the carby and had it tuned to suit. Tohatsu are identical motors to mercury, they must come out of the same factory. I had original zodiac forward controls on my grand raid but with the bit of movement you can get in SIBs I find it a lot more comfortable sitting on the tube operating a tiller steer! Plus you have a lot more deck space for fishing gear, crab pots etc. How old is your boat? On some older boats the floor fabric stretches it can make the floor boards seem loose even when it's pumped up to pressure,so it can porpoise in a bit in chop. It's called the "grip" of the boat and you can rectify it by shimming out the floorboard a bit at the transom. Anyway mate I won't bor you anymore. All the best. Todd. P.s the "grip" of your boat should be about 30mm for a mk2. Which means all your floorboards should measure 30mm more than the measurement of the inside of your boat, from where the floorboards touch against the transom and the fixed board in the bow, so it stretches out the floor fabric and locks it all in,together with the correct air pressure. About 3.5 psi. Pretty sure your boat is a short shaft transom. And last of all I put a 4 blade stainless prop on and it's way better than the original alloy one. Cheers
Old 16 April 2013, 23:34   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Grand Raid are for short shaft (15") engines. A long shaft on a short shaft transom will produce unwanted water splashes over or out back transom that must be corrected or engine/sib combo will have excessive water tail drag.

Happy Boating
Old 16 April 2013, 23:51   #4

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac
Grand Raid are for short shaft (15") engines. A long shaft on a short shaft transom will produce unwanted water splashes over or out back transom that must be corrected or engine/sib combo will have excessive water tail drag.

Happy Boating
A few years ago Zodiac changed the grand raid. They got rid of the intercomunicating valves and went to a long shaft transom.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 02:09   #5

Cheers fellas!

Todd: good info you got there. Not boring at all. Need as much info as I can from experience boaters as this is the first SIB I've had. Its a mk2c milspec 2002 and zodiac don't give you much info as dimensions and useful facts for them. As old as it may be, condition is pretty good. Just needs a repair on the bottom of the transom. Easy done but time consuming. Got some issues with the flooring and I need the dimension on the second board with the hole cut out for the keel valve. Anyone??? The wooden board I have seems too long and the SIB needs to be stretched at least 6 inches (which I can't). Odd but could be for the next model up flooring. It can be easily trimmed down to suit but before I do, I need to confim it to save any issues later down the track.

As for the motor. Can anyone give me a run down on the mercury 25 seapro compare to the 30 standard. As far as I can see, only difference according to the info is that seapro can withstand a bit more abuse??? Same block as the 30 only restricted and price difference is 21bucks.
Old 17 April 2013, 23:01   #6

The new 25/30 Mercs are made in Japan by Tohatsu. Both models are exactly same, both shares same 430 CC block and weights 52 Kg. Go straight for the 30 model as the 25 is just carb & timing restricted. Check Tohatsu Australia, will cost less.

Happy Boating
Old 19 April 2013, 05:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
The new 25/30 Mercs are made in Japan by Tohatsu. Both models are exactly same, both shares same 430 CC block and weights 52 Kg. Go straight for the 30 model as the 25 is just carb & timing restricted. Check Tohatsu Australia, will cost less.

Happy Boating
Cheers matey. Seems like the 30 is a goer. One more thing. What prop and pitch you guys recommend? Different application different prop.
Old 19 April 2013, 09:57   #8

Hey pineapple , if you can have a look at the inflatable surf rescue boats on the beaches at there props. Or call Peter Hallett at mid coast marine on the gold coast( burliegh). He decks out the IRBs for surf rescue. I bought a 4 blade stainless prop from him. It was slightly used. They cost a bit but go like the clappers! All the best mate. Todd
Old 20 April 2013, 14:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
Cheers matey. Seems like the 30 is a goer. One more thing. What prop and pitch you guys recommend? Different application different prop.
You'll be alright with the prop that comes factory delivered with that engine. We use a 420 sib with 4 mates with same Tohatsu 30 HP and that combo planes in just 1/3 throttle. You need an induction tach to play with prop pitches, it's not a wild or asking guess as you could ruin your horse...

Happy Boating
Old 28 April 2013, 08:09   #10

Sorted! Took it for a run with the mercury 30hp and it cruised with 3 ppl with ease. Considering that it was still tight and a long way from breaking it in, at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle it planed easy.

Mate just got a hydrofoil (se sport 200) but his is a aluminium tinnie with a 30hp. I was wondering if its worth putting one on mine (planning on loading it up and doing a big trip).

What do you guys think?
Old 28 April 2013, 12:20   #11

Hey mate I've got one on my basically identical motor, and it seems to help to get out of the hole quicker, with heavier loads on and stay on the plane longer with less throttle. So I guess it would save on fuel. FYI you can easily put on a electric starter motor kit for those outboards. Only problem ya gotta carry a big ass battery. Have fun pineapple ! You must live in Queensland with a name like that?
Old 28 April 2013, 22:06   #12

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but someone said about installing electric start on these motors. I have the 25hp 2 stroke tohatsu. How much would it cost to install electric start with second hand parts?
Old 29 April 2013, 00:59   #13

Don't need an hydrofoil, just distribute passengers aft, bow accordingly, trim your engine to be perpendicyular to wate level, throttle to 1/2-3/4 and that combo will plane very fast. Hydrofoils are kelp, garbage collectors, used when engine is underpowered to help plane. If 30 HP is top for that size sib, is a waist of money. Better save some cash and buy an induction hour/tach meter.

Happy Boating
Old 29 April 2013, 10:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Grimley View Post
Hey mate I've got one on my basically identical motor, and it seems to help to get out of the hole quicker, with heavier loads on and stay on the plane longer with less throttle. So I guess it would save on fuel. FYI you can easily put on a electric starter motor kit for those outboards. Only problem ya gotta carry a big ass battery. Have fun pineapple ! You must live in Queensland with a name like that?
I looked at electric starts but like you said, it requires a big battery. Could you use a bike battery perhaps? Anyhow I wanted to keep it simple so I installed a rectifier and will be charging a bike battery. All it will be doing is a pump, little fridge and lights.

Yeah I'm based in Brisbane but currently in Newie for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Don't need an hydrofoil, just distribute passengers aft, bow accordingly, trim your engine to be perpendicyular to wate level, throttle to 1/2-3/4 and that combo will plane very fast. Hydrofoils are kelp, garbage collectors, used when engine is underpowered to help plane. If 30 HP is top for that size sib, is a waist of money. Better save some cash and buy an induction hour/tach meter.

Happy Boating

Cheers for the tip locozodiac. Besides a hour/tach metre, I was wondering a temp light would be handy. I swapped boats with a mate and on the weekend and noticed the light had come on. Turned out the pump had failed. Thought it would be nice to have that tool regardless mine is a new motor.
Old 29 April 2013, 12:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but someone said about installing electric start on these motors. I have the 25hp 2 stroke tohatsu. How much would it cost to install electric start with second hand parts?
Not sure about second hand gear , but I think it's around $600AUD new.
Old 29 April 2013, 14:52   #16

Pineapple,

A bike battery is too poor, lacks correct amps to insist turning engine on if that horse doesn't want to start at 1st, second attempt. Need a marine grade bat with 70 amps minimun to factory match engine/bat combo.

Happy Boating
Old 03 May 2013, 06:32   #17

Cheers Locozodiac. I noticed that the railings on the floor can be used for tie downs but the channel is different to a commercial track tray. I probably could modify a hook point but do zodiac have a their own? Or reccomend something else?

Cheers
Old 03 May 2013, 13:57   #18

Sorry Pineapple,

Both Tohatsu 18 & 30 HP in current use are rope start, don't like having bats on top deck, maybe you could find a bat tray and secure to alum floor side to transom.

Happy Boating