Old 29 April 2013, 06:29   #1

Town: Lancashire
Length: no boat
Sib experience in Mallorca

Hi

Complete newbie to the boating scene, looking to put together an inflatable boat over the next 18 months or so...and after some advice if any out there!

The main purpose of the boat would be for day trips around the coast of Mallorca and some tubing/rings etc for the kids.

Boat needs to fit family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids - under 10) and must be easy to store as it will be kept in a small balcony shed! Will be used for around 5 weeks each year in July/August.

Probably looking at used with budget around £2k - I intend to get ICC this year so engine size not limited. I assume an inflatable would be the best option but would consider others if there was cheap enough storage/launch options

Could anyone out there also advise about using Sibs in Mallorca.

Can you launch/land on beaches without any problems?

Are there any cheap ways of mooring a boat whilst inflated? (we don't have transport or trailer so don't want to reinflate everytime).

Our apt is at Cala Dor Marina but that is quite expensive for a months berth! - though may be the best option in terms of practicality!

Sorry for a long winded first post!!

Many thanks
Old 29 April 2013, 10:04   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
We kept our boat out in the Balearic's for 2 years and carried a small sib as a tender to carry 2 adults and 2 young children.

To try and answer your questions. First of all the Med isnt always the beautiful glassy watery playground that it looks like from the shore, it can get very rough, especially in the afternoons. Bare this in mind when picking a boat.

I would suggest for ease of storage and assembly go for an airdeck and to make sure you can always get home safely look for decent sized tubes. Take a look at Bombard 380, HonwaveT38, Zodiac Futura FS Mk2 etc. These boats are a decent size for a sib, but they are not light and will need a couple of adults to carry them.

To give them the performance you are looking for you are going to need 15-25hp, look for Yamaha, Mercury/Mariner or Tohatsu. Go for a 2 stroke, they are lighter and simpler.

Transport is going to be an issue but you can put transom wheels on the boat to move it short distances or use a folding launch trolley. Sorry, have no idea about "cheap" storage options, that's not a word I came across very much in the Balearic's . Leaving a sib in the water without anti fouling even for just a couple of weeks is not an option, it will grow a beard incredibly quickly and reduce performance significantly. Daily scrubbing may help this, but not a lot.

You can land on beaches in small boats, but you must use the buoyed tender channel, apart from this channel you must stay offshore of the yellow swim area buoys.
Old 29 April 2013, 23:45   #3

Many thanks for the reply and info LLP.

Must admit that the airdeck boats were what I had in mind with the Honwave probably best fitting our budget although I hadn't considered a 2 stroke.
If the Honwave is rated maximum 20hp, is this due to weight restriction or simply performance worries - ie would putting a lighter 2 stroke 25hp engine on be safe or would this cock up insurance etc?

With regards to storage, are there places that will clean up and store the outboard?

Getting the damn thing in the water will be the biggest pain. I'm blindly assuming that some kind taxi driver will let me shove the gear in their boot. I'll have to ask at the marina if there is anyway of getting it into the water there without a slip. Don't mind paying for a few days mooring.

Finally, regarding the beaches, quite a few we've been to don't have a buoyed tender part. Does that mean you can't land at all? Is there anywhere that tells you which beaches have this facility?

Thanks once again for any help.
Old 30 April 2013, 20:47   #4

If you over power a boat it may effect your insurance, but more importantly the HonWave really dosnt need any more power. I bought a 3.2 with the maximum 15hp outboard, the boat was great but when loaded and WOT the floor would deform. I really wouldnt want any more power.

If you want to use more power choose either the Bombard 380 with a 25 or, my pick, a Zodiac Futura air deck with a 25 or 30. They give superb performance and will even ski a light person.

I spent most of my time in Menorca, so really cant help with a specific service agent, but a walk round the marina bars and a chat to some other boat owners will get you all the information you need. There will be lots of options for storage and service, but they will all cost. It is possible to flush the outboard your self, leave it on the boat and stick the leg in a bucket of fresh water. (While on land of course !)

With regards to launching, at this size it is still possible (but not easy) to launch directly into the marina, you can manage without a slip. Put a mat on the marina wall and slide the sib in, then lift the engine on (Make sure you have a rope on it and tied off to a cleat should the worse happen,). Got no idea how you are going to get it there, but a taxi driver did once let me put my small tender engine in the boot to take it for repair, IMHO money can be very persuasive !

With regards the beaches, if there is no tender lane, you cant land. Motoring through a bathing area is a very serious offense. There is nothing to stop you dropping an anchor outside the bathing area and swimming to the beach.
Old 30 April 2013, 23:14   #5

Thanks once again for the advice and recommendations, though I think the Futura will be out of my range.

Quite happy to swim.

Will have a good chat to people round the marina this summer, see what they suggest.

Just realised - I could always hire a car for a day or two if taxis are an issue. They'd be none the wiser.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer
Old 01 May 2013, 21:10   #6

Planning on purchasing sib approx 3.8m in the UK then shipping to Spain and keeping it out there permanently. Am I right in assuming that as I only spend 6-7 weeks a year there, I can register it in the UK first as British and use under UK flag?

Also, once you've got all the necessary safety equipment, rope, anchor, flares etc....is there actually any room left for passengers???
Old 01 May 2013, 21:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownster74 View Post
Planning on purchasing sib approx 3.8m in the UK then shipping to Spain and keeping it out there permanently. Am I right in assuming that as I only spend 6-7 weeks a year there, I can register it in the UK first as British and use under UK flag?

Also, once you've got all the necessary safety equipment, rope, anchor, flares etc....is there actually any room left for passengers???
Me again !

Yep, easiest way is to put it under UK part 3 registration, known as SSR (Small ships register), lasts for 5 years and costs £25.

You will also need insurance cover if you want to stop in any marina's. You need to carry the paperwork as well as all the safety kit, easiest way is a bow and under seat bag for storage, get a decent one, cheap ones rip very easily.