Old 10 November 2020, 08:45   #1

Town: Northampton
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp & 2hp
SIB Package

It’s been a while since I had a SIB which used to live on a trailer, I’ve moved and have space in the garage to store an inflatable but no longer on a trailer.

I’m now looking again for something new that would pack up into the back of my land rover discovery.

I’d like to use it on local rivers (Nene & Ouse) plus coastal sea fishing when I get the chance.

Ideally it can fit 2 adults, a child and a dog so was thinking of an aluminium floor but that’s about it.

Any ideas on ideal packages would be great! Thanks.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:59   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Usually I'd advise an air floor model for daily setup from the back of a car because of weight/ease. There are few worries with air floors from the dog or fishing point of view... but you can always use a floor mat if concerned.

New or used I wonder and do you have an idea where you want to be with outboard power... just getting along with 6hp or a turn of speed with 20hp?

Probably worth looking at the latest version of the Honwave T38 if you were looking new.
Old 10 November 2020, 10:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Usually I'd advise an air floor model for daily setup from the back of a car because of weight/ease. There are few worries with air floors from the dog or fishing point of view... but you can always use a floor mat if concerned.

New or used I wonder and do you have an idea where you want to be with outboard power... just getting along with 6hp or a turn of speed with 20hp?

Probably worth looking at the latest version of the Honwave T38 if you were looking new.

Cheers Fenlander. Good point re setup and an ali floor, I’ll look at just inflatable and floor mat when fishing and on the rare occasion I take the dog.

I was thinking of a new package - or used but mint.

Power wise, I used to have a 20hp which was great for speed. But in reality on the rivers it will be a very slow pootle so would be overkill.

Although when on the sea I’d like a bit of grunt to get about so I’m on the fence a bit!

I’ll have a look at the T38.
Old 10 November 2020, 10:48   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I wouldn't be to concerned about an airfloor and a dog. I use lightweight Eva mats in my SD360 mainly so that the dog doesn't slip on a wet pvc floor - vets, cruciates and big bills spring to mind. They do also protect the floor from sharp claws.
Whilst I haven't had enough experience of different SIBs to recommend any, I would recommend not going too small. IMO anything below 3.5mtrs will be small for 2 adults a medium size dog and a child, who will be a teenager!
Old 10 November 2020, 11:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I wouldn't be to concerned about an airfloor and a dog. I use lightweight Eva mats in my SD360 mainly so that the dog doesn't slip on a wet pvc floor - vets, cruciates and big bills spring to mind. They do also protect the floor from sharp claws.
Whilst I haven't had enough experience of different SIBs to recommend any, I would recommend not going too small. IMO anything below 3.5mtrs will be small for 2 adults a medium size dog and a child, who will be a teenager!

Thanks Steve will get some of those mats. My last one was 4.2m which was a great size but a little too big for non trailer use so was thinking around the 3.2m - 3.5m this time around.

Being brutally honest with myself I think mostly it will be me and a mate using it rather than the family so that sort of size should be ok I reckon?
Old 10 November 2020, 12:14   #6

I think 3.2 metres maybe a bit small for 2 adults fishing.
When I was deciding which SIB to buy, I was given the same advice by a few suppliers.
They all said remember the width as well as the length, ie: floor space. They also advised me to go for large tube diameters for stability.
If you take a look at the Honwave range a 3.2m nearly fits inside a 3.5m which nearly fits inside a 3.8. The same with Excel, the 3.3 nearly fits inside a 3.6 which fits inside the 3.9m. There is a big difference in size, it's not all about the length.
Obviously packed away size and weight has to be taken into consideration, but I would go for the biggest SIB I could manage on my own.
Each person is different and has different wants and needs which makes every SIB is a compromise.
Old 10 November 2020, 12:45   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We have just moved into an Excel Volaire 390 & rate it highly, however, I wouldn’t recommend it for your particular purpose. It’s a bulky heavy old lump, but we keep it deflated in a trailer. The size however is perfect for 2 up fishing. I personally wouldn’t want anything smaller. A 3.2 would be “cosy” IMO, especially with fishing gear.
Don’t sweat about the dogs claws, we’ve had dogs in RIBs almost for as long as we’ve had RIBs & it’s never been a problem, similarly with fish hooks.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 16:55   #8

Great advice, thank you.

What size outboards do you have on yours please?
Old 10 November 2020, 17:17   #9

I went for a 15hp 4 stroke. I wanted something to potter about on the Lakes at 10mph (max speed) but with enough grunt to be OK on the sea. It is the maximum weight I would want to lift in and out of the back of pick up.
Old 10 November 2020, 17:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I went for a 15hp 4 stroke. I wanted something to potter about on the Lakes at 10mph (max speed) but with enough grunt to be OK on the sea. It is the maximum weight I would want to lift in and out of the back of pick up.

Nice one. I was thinking 10 or 15 4 stroke for the same sort of things.
Old 10 November 2020, 18:20   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonestone View Post
Nice one. I was thinking 10 or 15 4 stroke for the same sort of things.

I have a Suzuki 20hp. Exactly the same block/weight as the 9.9 & 15hp, so no weight benefit to be gained by going smaller.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 18:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have a Suzuki 20hp. Exactly the same block/weight as the 9.9 & 15hp, so no weight benefit to be gained by going smaller.
If I would have had more patience I would have gone for a Susi 20hp or a Merc 20hp, but at the time June 2020, there wasn't any available. Don't regret getting the 15hp as it suits the SD360, but for a few hundred more I could have had an OB that I could use on a bigger SIB if I ever decide to use a trailer.
Old 10 November 2020, 20:28   #13

I think I’d like to look at Honwave paired with Suzuki 20 - anyone know of any dealers that do this as a package? Any dealer recommendations? I don’t expect any to be close to me in Northamptonshire!
Old 10 November 2020, 22:01   #14

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
New Honwave T38ie, With a 15 hp 2 stroke second hand if you can get it
Old 10 November 2020, 22:02   #15

You'll have to take a leap of faith with the new Honwave t38 as they won't be in the UK until mid December, that's according to Liverpool Power Boats, who are offering a very good deal for pre orders. However they don't supply Susi outboards.
I could be wrong, but you may struggle to get the "package deal" you appear to want from one dealer. It may be that you will need to order the t38 from a Honda dealer and order the Susi independently.
Old 11 November 2020, 08:50   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I was thinking 10 or 15 4 stroke

Over the past few years we've had experience of using 8hp, 10hp & 20hp 4-strokes and two different 15hp 2-strokes on our 3.8m SIB.

8hp interesting that it did better than expected but only with one or one plus child/teen.

10hp just satisfactory for two but soon affected by more weight.

15hp for me the perfect power with two or two plus small teen.

20hp had more midrange grunt than 15hp but not loads faster at maximum. Handled going up to four folks better.

The 15hp has worked our perfect for me in 2-stroke form as its a little lighter than the 10hp 4-strokes. If you are buying new 4-stroke though I'd go for the 20hp being the same size/weigh as the 15hp model why not.
Old 11 November 2020, 08:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> I was thinking 10 or 15 4 stroke

Over the past few years we've had experience of using 8hp, 10hp & 20hp 4-strokes and two different 15hp 2-strokes on our 3.8m SIB.

8hp interesting that it did better than expected but only with one or one plus child/teen.

10hp just satisfactory for two but soon affected by more weight.

15hp for me the perfect power with two or two plus small teen.

20hp had more midrange grunt than 15hp but not loads faster at maximum. Handled going up to four folks better.

The 15hp has worked our perfect for me in 2-stroke form as its a little lighter than the 10hp 4-strokes. If you are buying new 4-stroke though I'd go for the 20hp being the same size/weigh as the 15hp model why not.

Ok great. Thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated.

Tags
sib