Old 25 October 2020, 22:08   #1

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Drysuit

Anyone have a Trident drysuit? if so are they ok, also will my 165N lifejacket be ok with a drysuit. Cheers.
Old 25 October 2020, 22:23   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
Anyone have a Trident drysuit? if so are they ok, also will my 165N lifejacket be ok with a drysuit. Cheers.

Accepted wisdom is that if wearing a drysuit, a 275/290N lifejacket is advisable. This is to counteract the additional buoyancy in the drysuit due to trapped air. Otherwise you may not float face up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:13   #3

Trident suits are OK.

Made in UK if this stuff matters, by family run business.

Their main market is dinghy sailors. They tend not to over spec the pockets etc.

Dinghy sailors of course don't wear 150N lifejackets. They are much more likely to end up unconscious in the water than a ribber. But would normally have a RIB there to fish them out...

Part of the decision on a 275N LJ has to include - how likely are you to be floating in it unconscious and part of it has to be might the ability to swim be helpful.

If you are less likely to end up landing in the water unconscious, the dry suit will certainly prolong the time it takes to get there.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:02   #4

Cheers for the replies, not sure whether to go for a drysuit or a winter wetsuit, I have a summer wetsuit and a thermal rash vest along with a normal rash vest. I'm preferring a drysuit but have bought a new 165N LJ.
Old 26 October 2020, 09:36   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Cheers for the replies, not sure whether to go for a drysuit or a winter wetsuit, I have a summer wetsuit and a thermal rash vest along with a normal rash vest. I'm preferring a drysuit but have bought a new 165N LJ.

You will be far more comfortable in a drysuit. Warmer/ drier (obviously [emoji6]) more freedom of movement.
Re. The lifejacket, in 40 years of boating, I’ve never used one in anger, but if I ever have to, I want it to do it’s job correctly. You pays your money & takes your choice on that one.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 26 October 2020, 16:20   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Part of the decision on a 275N LJ has to include - how likely are you to be floating in it unconscious and part of it has to be might the ability to swim be helpful.
It would be a rubbish choice but if you were conscious it may be possible to temporarily let air out of the lifejacket to enable you to swim / self rescue.
Old 26 October 2020, 16:38   #7

Cheers for the replies. I've had different responses from different sources so I contacted my local RNLI and he has kindly offered to meet up with me on Thursday and will give me some advice. I'll let you know his recommendations. Cheers
Old 26 October 2020, 20:04   #8

RIBase
Good idea and it will be interesting to learn their view on it.
Old 29 October 2020, 19:23   #9

Met with the RNLI safety officer today. He advised me that a 275N would be needed for a drysuit for the reason Pikey Dave said. For what I will be doing he suggested I get a winter wetsuit and my lifejacket would be fine for that, I'll only be going around Torbay and along the coast towards Teignmouth, again in my 3.5m sib and 9.9 Mercury advised not to go around and on from Berry Head, Ive been there on a jetski and it can get a bit choppy. A waterproof VHF radio was also advisable to have. So I'm getting a 5mm wetsuit and a Gill dinghy top, I have a thermal and normal rash vest probably use my army gortex bottoms over the wetsuit.
The RNLI chap gave me lots of leaflets to read over so was well worth meeting with him and a nice chap too.
Old 29 October 2020, 19:42   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I’ve been round berry head a few times and much much further.....

I would still say a drysuit is better....February on a sunny day was still cold even with base layer, thermal suit, dry suit and gloves, helmet. Was too hot changingi to it all in Brixham marina and cold on the water until we got going....Even then out for an hour probably tops....

I have a crewsaver cag and regularly wear it over my wetsuit it’s ace! But would still want more warmth (my suit is an old 3mm full suit, had thicker but don’t get on with them)

I don’t wear a 250N jacket with my drysuit I know I should but I don’t.... I do carry DSC VHF and I don’t go out alone.......
Old 29 October 2020, 20:53   #11

Hi HDAV, He was giving me guidance as if I were going alone, obviously weather conditions dictate where you can go. I'm getting a VHF radio. I did want a drysuit he didnt seem too keen on them, I guess as long as you are safe it boils down to personal preference.
Old 29 October 2020, 22:30   #12

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting as all rnli crew wear dry suits on all shouts......
Old 29 October 2020, 22:32   #13

Maybe for what Im doing a wetsuit would be ok. Might see if I can exchange the lifejacket for a 270N one and get a drysuit
Old 29 October 2020, 23:22   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
I'm in the drysuit camp when it starts to get cold.

Northern Diver have a 275n jacket for £70. It would be worth getting that or similar for wearing with a drysuit and keeping the lighter one for summer use.

If you go out solo I would suggest a plb is worth having along with a vhf clipped to the life jacket.

As for not going round Berry Head, maybe not this time of year, but certainly fine in the summer in settled conditions.
Old 30 October 2020, 07:27   #15

RIBase
I'd have thought a drysuit would have been the gold plated solution, which it probably is however looking at RNLI guidance on line, their general suggestion is a wetsuit with a drysuit as an alternative.

I guess there is more scope for error in wearing a drysuit e.g. full of air, not done up properly that would render it much less effective where as a wetsuit will continue to provide protection even if not fully done up etc.
Old 30 October 2020, 08:26   #16

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm still a bit confused but I'm going to go with a 5mm wetsuit, and get a waterproof top and some bottoms. I've been wearing a wetsuit during the summer and found it comfortable and it did its job when I took and predicted dip in the sea. I wont be going out on freezing conditions only on calm clear days when the air temperatures aren't too low. I was preferring a drysuit but I will take the RNLI advice. Hopefully I wont be falling in. Re Berry Head I'm think he was being cautious as I have a sib and not a fib which he said would be ok, at least the money I've saved on a wetsuit can go to a VHF radio.
Old 30 October 2020, 10:05   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm still a bit confused but I'm going to go with a 5mm wetsuit, and get a waterproof top and some bottoms. I've been wearing a wetsuit during the summer and found it comfortable and it did its job when I took and predicted dip in the sea. I wont be going out on freezing conditions only on calm clear days when the air temperatures aren't too low. I was preferring a drysuit but I will take the RNLI advice. Hopefully I wont be falling in. Re Berry Head I'm think he was being cautious as I have a sib and not a fib which he said would be ok, at least the money I've saved on a wetsuit can go to a VHF radio.

Just go for the drysuit, you won’t regret it. An additional benefit is if you go ashore for a walk/lunch/beer, just strip off the drysuit & you have your dry “ashore” clothes on underneath. You don’t have to get changed/dried off etc.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:05   #18

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Strange advice from the RNLI. As said probably taking the health and safety driven easy route as less room for user error in a wetsuit.

As regular and enthusiastic wetsuit wearer both on the boat and for watersports over summer I still favour my drysuit on chilly days...there is just no comparison.

If funds allow, you won’t regret having a drysuit. We use 195N auto lifejackets, and depending on build, should be adequate as long as you remember to expel as much air as possible after donning...easy enough and essential.
Old 30 October 2020, 14:05   #19

If I expell all the air would my 165N life jacket be ok, the RNLI guy initially said that it would be fine but he rang and checked and they a 275 would be needed. Just thinking the size of the 275 inflated could be a problem in getting back in
Old 30 October 2020, 14:45   #20

RIBase
Quote:
If I expell all the air would my 165N life jacket be ok, the RNLI guy initially said that it would be fine but he rang and checked and they a 275 would be needed. Just thinking the size of the 275 inflated could be a problem in getting back in

Imo the size of the LJ is irrelevant re. Boarding. You’ll struggle in any inflated LJ to get back onboard.