Old 20 May 2017, 21:23   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Scotland west coast?

My wife actually replied to a ppi refund text and guess what, she actually got a tidy sum So we've decided to head to the west coast for a week or so for some sibbing and camping this summer. Recommendations please, I know nothing of the area other than it looks like great sibbing territory... as some of you will know, we're pretty adventurous on our aerotec, got full safety kit, vhf, auxiliary etc so looking for interesting islands and wild camping spots... cheers all [emoji106]

Simon
Old 20 May 2017, 21:33   #2

...also, while I'm sure that google can answer many of our questions, we're interested in destinations with castles, ruins, historical sort of stuff. And pubs!
Old 21 May 2017, 04:35   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
well id have said the lochinver area but there's no castles ruins historical stuff or pubs .lovely beaches tho
Old 21 May 2017, 07:59   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If you're relatively new to the Scottish West Coast, Oban is the best place to start IMO. All the facilities, excellent cruising, plenty of shelter if it blows up, gateway to more adventurous areas if you get brave......I could wax lyrical all day.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 09:26   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
As a general area pikey is right about Oban. The town itself may not be to your taste though if you are looking for rural tranquility. as Tony Hill always says from Easdale there is always somewhere to go whatever the weather. Alternatively you could go a bit North and Linnhe Marine near port appin is a good starting point.

If you are planning to camp and travel rather than base yourself in one place then where you start doesn't matter too much...
Old 21 May 2017, 12:19   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Simon..I couldn’t possibly recommend a certain area .. because the whole of the west is the best.

If you are serious in doing it in a SIB..I would recommend you get a copy of Simon Willis.. Kayaking the West Coast Trail. It has everything you need to know and its a fantastic 500 km journey.

Obviously you can do it a lot faster than a kayak..but its worth taking time and savouring the trip. Good weather and a midge jacket..and you are in paradise

https://www.pesdapress.com/index.php...a-kayak-trail/

“Scotland’s west coast is an undisputed world-class sea kayaking destination. This book challenges the reader to kayak a 500km route, from the Isle of Gigha off the Kintyre peninsula, to the Summer Isles near Ullapool. It can be undertaken in four holiday-sized sections or as one long, glorious journey.

The emphasis is on practical advice; how to tackle tricky tidal passages; places to visit; where to source essential information; food re-supply; where to safely leave kayaks overnight; how and when to shuttle vehicles; and the accessibility of public transport. Although camping is an essential element of this journey the book does not identify wild camp sites or even picnic places.
It gives sea kayakers enough information to seek out their own adventures and so spread the environmental impact.”
Old 21 May 2017, 14:40   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Having been a southern visitor to the west coast on and off over the past 30+ years I'd say don't worry too much about seeking an area peppered with castles and pubs... it's an area you can let unfold in front of you with some sort of delight round most corners.

Good advice from Gurnard to look at the blogs and info of the kayak guys... I did so many years ago prior to joining this forum little knowing some of the writing was Gurnard's and his brother and their kayak pals.

And of course you can get a feel for many areas by using Advance Search with username "The Gurnard" and selecting the "Rib gallery" forum.

We've had the greatest times anywhere between Cambeltown and Skye... you may be different but with family much north of Skye/Ullapool area gets a little remote (but stunning in the right weather).
Old 21 May 2017, 17:14   #8

Thanks for the useful info people looking like a toss-up between oban and isle of Skye at the moment. If we were to park up on the mainland and head for skye, what would be the best place of departure? Kyle of lochalsh? Mallaig?

Mallaig looks a little more exposed but I know nothing other than what google earth is showing me...

Simon
Old 21 May 2017, 17:44   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Thanks for the useful info people looking like a toss-up between oban and isle of Skye at the moment. If we were to park up on the mainland and head for skye, what would be the best place of departure? Kyle of lochalsh? Mallaig?

Mallaig looks a little more exposed but I know nothing other than what google earth is showing me...

Simon
Oban is a really good spot for A RIB With a bit more legs ...and in a SIB You'll have plenty to do...But I think Malaig COULD be equal or even have the edge for A SIB holiday.
Nice little Busy fishing town couple of good Pubs and Restaurants..Co Op...Fuel close to Marina ect.
Great Marina with a really helpful Harbour master and cheap rates make it easier to leave even a SIB in the water for the duration...some REALLY nice sheltered nooks and crannys ..white sand beaches along the Coast close towards Arisaig....and some really picturesque lochs within striking distance....
Either way as said many times.... on the Lovely West Coast you won't be disappointed
Sky from Malaig is a truly wonderful Trip..(One of the Very Best!)
BUT A bit of a Haul in a SIB in all but perfect weather!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 18:58   #10

Quote:
If we were to park up on the mainland and head for skye, what would be the best place of departure? Kyle of lochalsh? Mallaig?

Simon
If your choice is Skye..I personally wouldn’t park up on the mainland. Its a pretty boring stretch of water scenic wise ..between Mallaig and Armadale on Skye. Its not much further than a few hundred yards from the Kyle either ..so I would use the road bridge and drive to the more scenic parts.

Dont be fooled by the size of Skye..it can take all morning to get to the north of the island..by car ..not boat. It is also a very busy place during the summer with land tourists because its so scenic.

Skye is good for a small boat as you can always go to the sheltered side of the island when the wind / waves are rolling in. However its very exposed going round the northern parts..which are the most scenic.

Example from the slipway at Harlosh round to Loch Dunvegan ..once you start..there is no where to safely land. Huge cliffs fall straight to the sea. However many say its the most scenic headland in the UK.

If its too rough..the views are as good walking the cliffs ..and you wont meet a soul ..its around a 20 mile walk in wilderness.

Another good route is from the slipway at Staffin round the coast to Uig Bay..again a very committing headland with few landing places and strong tides so fair weather only. There are very few sand beaches on Skye..so if that is important.. best go else where.

Plenty islands to the East off Skye to explore too.. I posted about doing them on this forum from Broadford. Eg Raasay..Rona..Pabay..Scalpay etc

Be aware that there are not many other boats around..and often the handheld VHF wont be able to get a message through for help..so self reliance is very important. A PLB will get help ..I hope.

Mallaig and Arisaig area ..has more options if the weather is not so good..example the sea lochs of Loch Nevis , Loch Hourn , Loch Nan Ceall , Loch Moidart etc. Although the area is still remote..its not so intimidating in a SIB as the North of Skye..and there are lovely sandy beaches everywhere.

Oban is also a good choice.. but as mentioned .. the whole of the west is lovely..so do your research to get the most out of it. I have spent many years going round and round it ..and still find new places to go.

Im certain you will have a great time wherever you go. Wishing you good weather when you go..and if you see a boat on your travels .. called The Gurnard..or Guppy..give me a wave
Old 21 May 2017, 19:17   #11

I should perhaps add..if I was in your position..I wouldn't decide which area to go to until the last moment.

Simply because the weather can vary quite dramatically between all the areas..so I would pick the area with least wind where a when I was going. That the flexability of wild camping.. Do leave time for getting stranded somewhere remote to sit out a storm though.

All the above is my opinion only
Old 22 May 2017, 05:19   #12

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
+1 for Harlosh heading north.

Definitely my favourite but maybe a bit exposed.

Having said that, every time I've done that trip it's been flat glass calm.
Old 22 May 2017, 07:06   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
apple cross is a good spot camp site in the village very good pub excellent meals fuel available, small shop near by highest road in britain what views. plenty of cruising opportunities but for your first time oban as has been said in less than 5 miles it can be as wild as you need.
the problem you will have is that when you get the bug it will take over your life 53 years i have been going back and i won't stop until my toes curl up

enjoy
Old 23 May 2017, 18:15   #14

Thanks all, looking forward to it

I think we'll leave the routes/destinations completely open and let the weather decide...
Old 23 May 2017, 18:50   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I think we'll leave the routes/destinations completely open and let the weather decide...
Good plan IMO. Missus willk and I have done that on our Highlands camping - we'd look at the forecast and have even swapped coasts during the day if it was looking VERY sh1tty for a couple of days...
Old 04 June 2017, 07:47   #16

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Campsites and slip a couple of miles south of Oban at Puffin Divers. Mull is wonderful. Also, consider the long stretch of coast south of Oban down to the Mull of Kintyre. It's all lovely and there is plenty of sheltered water.
Old 04 June 2017, 08:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
It's all lovely and there is plenty of sheltered water.
Perhaps its also worth mentioning to small boat SIBers..that may not know the area ... it also has some of the most treacherous tide races in the UK ..its not all safe waters for wee boats
Old 04 June 2017, 11:22   #18

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Perhaps its also worth mentioning to small boat SIBers..that may not know the area ... it also has some of the most treacherous tide races in the UK ..its not all safe waters for wee boats
Fair point well made.
Old 04 June 2017, 18:41   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yep it can be very interesting had play in the grey dogs on the flood last I was up
Old 04 June 2017, 18:51   #20

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Yep it can be very interesting had play in the grey dogs on the flood last I was up
Yea but where else in the world could you get an experience like it!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote