Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Addictive indeed and that is how your wallet gets empty
Learn from Bigplumbs mistake: if/when you upgrade the boat you are supposed to sell the old one not just adding to the fleet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_G View Post
I think Inchkeith gets lots of visitors and I can't see why you couldn't wander round. I've only been once, but had the wrong footwear to walk over the rocks and pebbles, so only stayed by the harbour.
if you kayak, row or sail to it then Mr Farmer (who owns it) has no option but to allow you to then walk around provided you are doing no harm. Arriving my motorboat does not technically afford you the same rights. Although it would be a very rare occasion that he was actually there, and all he can really do is tell you to leave. If you are going there it would be wise to make your shore contact aware - I suspect it is far easier to do yourself some damage on land their than afloat. If you are stuck with a broken ankle somewhere it will save a lot of search time!

Quote:
Did you have to pay to land on Inchcolme by the way? That's one I've not done yet but would like to...
No Historic Environment Scotland who look after the Abbey (and the island) have a liberal interpretation of the Land Reform Act - so don't charge leisure sailors (even with engines) for landing. Just be considerate of the big boats that come in (and bring the paying visitors, that means the island is so well looked after). Ancient buildings aren't my thing but others think the payment to visit the building is worthwhile. The guy you met will be the warden who lives on the island. He'll sell you a coke or an ice-cream - but on a cold day you can't get a cup of tea! (No running water!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scomich View Post
I quite fancy giving the Isle of May a try but probably a bit far from Edinburgh with just a 6hp. Maybe achievable from Anstruther on a calm day.
Even from Andstruther on a very nice day that's quite a trip. Plenty of people with bigger boats than yours have never found the right conditions for the 5+ NM open sea crossing. Bass Rock from N. Berwick would be a better bet.

You might find this useful:

forthdinghypilot [licensed for non-commercial use only] / Firth of Forth Dinghy Cruising Pilot

Its intended for those with wind power, but it just as applicable to little boats with small engines. The orginal format was actually a word document that was probably more useful than this on-line thing!
Old 27 August 2019, 08:45   #102

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
That's a nice wealth of info in they're Poly thanks for that.
I was even thinking Inchcolm was pushing it a bit for the 6hp, but it was flat calm with a wee bit swell. Will deffo try Bass rock.
My recent reading is into the following sea handling. And also reading don't go down the face of the wave, probably down to my inexperience but I've been trying while playing around to stay between waves , not quite mastered that 1 yet. More practice on variable throttle use I'm guessing, either that or the waves are just to fast for my little 6hp.
Old 27 August 2019, 09:24   #103

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The good thing about bass rock is you dont need any nav gear to get there you just follow your nose[emoji1781] its absolutely honkin[emoji2961]
At least it was when we passed it , you could smell it several miles away
Old 27 August 2019, 09:48   #104

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> following sea handling. And also reading don't go down the face of the wave... been trying while playing around to stay between waves , not quite mastered that 1 yet. More practice on variable throttle use I'm guessing, either that or the waves are just to fast for my little 6hp.

Of course it's possible to safely get through more difficult conditions with a smaller OB (or sailing or paddling a kayak or rowing) and that skill/timing builds over time but power does help. On your SIB a 10 or 15hp would give the ability to work the waves with greater ease as then a small twist of the throttle could change your position within the wave duration. You don't quite get that snap response with 8hp or less unless on a more skimmy hull like a small Frib.
Old 27 August 2019, 10:06   #105

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Engine: Etec 40
Yeah i'm still working on the bigger engine, I mean telling the wife that her son needs 1 . lol.

I'm tempted to just pull the plug on a whole brand new outfit boat/engine but keep telling myself learn a lot more first.

I damage this outfit then ok lesson learned, I damage all new stuff i'll be gutted, and have a lot of explaining to do when more money needs spent on what would have been new.
The heart wants shiny new the head for once saying control yourself. lol
Old 27 August 2019, 11:18   #106

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You are gaining great experience at bargain money and that's really valuable for the time when the "big" purchase can't be avoided any longer. But for now you're having as much fun and gaining as much experience as if you'd spent £3.5k on a new setup so it's all good I reckon.
Old 28 August 2019, 06:21   #107

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
You are gaining great experience at bargain money and that's really valuable for the time when the "big" purchase can't be avoided any longer. But for now you're having as much fun and gaining as much experience as if you'd spent £3.5k on a new setup so it's all good I reckon.
Wise words...
Old 28 August 2019, 06:23   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Learn from Bigplumbs mistake: if/when you upgrade the boat you are supposed to sell the old one not just adding to the fleet!

Why do you have to sell. You might I don't
Old 28 August 2019, 07:44   #109
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The good thing about bass rock is you dont need any nav gear to get there you just follow your nose

The OP lives in Auld Reekie he’ll not notice it!
Old 28 August 2019, 07:46   #110
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Why do you have to sell. You might I don't

Man with a dozen boats complains boating has emptied his wallet; then takes unbridgeable when someone points out the obvious in jest!
Old 28 August 2019, 07:47   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Man with a dozen boats complains boating has emptied his wallet; then takes unbridgeable when someone points out the obvious in jest!

I did not complain my wallet is fine thanks. I was pointing out what can happen to others.

In Jest you say...….. Well if it was then fine but no hint if that in the post or others you make

Tags
sib