Old 01 March 2021, 15:44   #81

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'll keep a note of that one on Amazon Steve mentioned and again it gets good comments in post #78. Has the advantage over mine and many others of a battery you can change... with mine it's sealed so you throw the whole unit away after about 5yrs.

Mine arrived today and it's getting the usual chopping board mount which will then pick up on some suitable threads on the outboard under the cowl.... shown on my Yamaha as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tach.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	136411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tach fitted.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	136412  
Old 01 March 2021, 16:01   #82

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
when fully charged it was only showing 12.1v
Hi Tel, what are you expecting it to show?
Old 01 March 2021, 16:01   #83

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Elling KB350 for Fenlander?

Quote:
Pikey Dave, did you get your poover battery? I got mine over a week ago, when fully charged it was only showing 12.1v so I messaged the seller who told me to discharge it and the recharge. I did that and it still only reads 12.1v. Was wondering if it is because it’s a lithium battery? It took well over 90 mins to get down to 9.8v but was still going strong so I’m not sure if there is a problem with it or not. I’ve ordered a battery gauge to show its % before I contact the seller again. Also, may I ask where you got your Cooper anchor from?

I bought a Poover last year to run my plotter on the SIB, I was after another for a different project, not had time to chase it up yet.
I got my anchor direct from Cooper. All arrived ok, no extras to pay when it got here.

https://cooperanchors.com/anchors/

Ps. Just checked the voltage on my Poover & it’s 12.5V and that’s after being stood all winter. I wouldn’t worry about yours, the spec is 8.5-12.6V. Lithiums run slightly lower than lead acid due to different cell Voltage/chemistry. Also depends on the accuracy of your instrument.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2021, 16:16   #84

Make: Elling kB 350
Steve, I was expecting it to show 12.6v when fully charged. And when I googled 12v batteries it said 12.1v was normally dead. As I don’t know anything about batteries I thought I’d ask the seller. But he just said to discharge and then recharge and to let him know what the reading was.
Pikey Dave I guess I’d have to pay import duties on it as it’s price is £84
Old 01 March 2021, 18:00   #85

Quote:
Steve, I was expecting it to show 12.6v when fully charged
I could be wrong on all of this but my understanding is that a 12v lithium battey should be reading anything between 12.6v - 13.6v when fully charged.
If you are using a standard traditional battery charger it may only partially charge your lithium battery to 85% and not perform the "saturation charge stage" which would fully charge it.
However it may actually be benificial not to fully charge your battery for although it may run out of charge sooner it may prolong the life of the battery.
Old 01 March 2021, 19:07   #86

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Steve, I was expecting it to show 12.6v when fully charged. And when I googled 12v batteries it said 12.1v was normally dead. As I don’t know anything about batteries I thought I’d ask the seller. But he just said to discharge and then recharge and to let him know what the reading was.
Pikey Dave I guess I’d have to pay import duties on it as it’s price is £84

Assuming this is your battery. Click on the “more information”. Standard battery voltage is stated as 11.1V with a charge voltage of 12.4V

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deep-Cycl....m46890.l49292
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2021, 19:48   #87

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
So Fenlander, tell me about these Tohatsu two strokes then...

If I’ve understood correctly, the 9.8hp is the holy grail as it’s only 2kg heavier than my Suzuki 6hp 4 stroke (!)

But, if I was in the market for a 15hp, it seems there’s not much benefit “going smokey” as the Tohatsu 2 stroke is only 2 KG’s lighter than their 4 stroke...? So ultimately would just come down to the old 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate and personal preference (noise, service, usage, etc.)

Is that about the sum of it?
Old 01 March 2021, 22:16   #88

Yep the Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is indeed the most power by far for its 26kg hence their reputation.... for example by the time you add oils the Mercury 4/5/6hp motors weigh that. So to put it at it's most salesmanlike 10hp power for the weight of a new 4hp.

As another comparison with oil added the Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke is about 13kg heavier.

In the 15hp range the Tohatsu 15hp 2-stroke isn't the best comparison as they are based on the 18hp so heavier than all the other 2-stroke 15hp motors. The Tohatsu is 41kg but Mercury/Mariner/Suzuki 15hp 2-strokes are all about 35/36kg. So a good bit lighter than the base weights quoted for the modern efi 15hp motors which is usually 44-46kg... but note someone weighed one of these and found the actual would be about 2kg more than the claimed spec.
Old 02 March 2021, 03:37   #89

Make: Elling kB 350
Yes, that was the battery I bought, I’m assuming it’s ok as it powered 2 air compressors for 90 mins with no problems.
Old 03 March 2021, 23:28   #90

Another small job towards the new setup... putting the tach in place under the Tohatsu cowl with my favoured chopping board mount method. Just find a couple of unused tappings in a suitable location and fettle the chopping board section to fit as a backing to the tach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tach mounted.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	136441  
Old 04 March 2021, 03:10   #91

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
A tidy installation there again Fenlander though I thought we might be offered a few more under hood pics of your new to you engine, looks shiny.
Old 04 March 2021, 08:35   #92

I just wanted to get that fitted but otherwise I’m a bit disadvantaged with two engines and one stand. Feel a bit of a responsibility to the Yamaha until it goes so that’s on the stand and the Tohatsu is just leaning up in a corner at the moment so not fiddling with it much.
Old 04 March 2021, 08:51   #93

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I just wanted to get that fitted but otherwise I’m a bit disadvantaged with two engines and one stand. Feel a bit of a responsibility to the Yamaha until it goes so that’s on the stand and the Tohatsu is just leaning up in a corner at the moment so not fiddling with it much.

I would have thought a man of your skills could have knocked up a stand out of timber offcuts in a couple of hours to park the Yamaha on for a week or two. I'm sure the new buyer wouldnt mind.
I was looking forward to more pictorial fettling & fiddling on your Tohatsu to while away the lockdown days.
Old 04 March 2021, 09:30   #94

More than the outboard I'm twitching re getting the Elling. This is week one of the two week period they were expected and I'm running out of boaty things to fiddle with. I'm so far down the tick list... boat excepted... I've even resorted to upgrading my spare 5l/10l fuel cans to the rather nice ones Yamaha supply.
Old 06 March 2021, 09:08   #95

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
The Zodiac dealer who sold me the Aerotec said an 18-20yr life for the glue. In 2015 I owned a 1998 which needed loads of localised repairs and I understand it then fell apart beyond further repair a few years later... so that was 17yrs when the trouble started.

Then 2/3 yrs ago several forum members had Aerotec transoms come unglued on the water... all models from the early 2000s.

So the picture is quite consistent.

Re the two SIB idea that will only be for the overlap Elling testing period... beyond that we are moving towards our true retirement years (Mrs F stops work and state pensions for both kick in mid 2021) in a somewhat streamlined way so we de-clutter in many areas and only keep what we need/use.
But you once had a Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke you sold that and now you want it again. I have never believed in the hole de-clutter thing and actually hate the phrase. I think it has more to do with OCD than anything else to be honest. Dont sell you old stuff till you are sure you prefer your new stuff that is my moto
Old 06 March 2021, 09:18   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I could be wrong on all of this but my understanding is that a 12v lithium battey should be reading anything between 12.6v - 13.6v when fully charged.
If you are using a standard traditional battery charger it may only partially charge your lithium battery to 85% and not perform the "saturation charge stage" which would fully charge it.
However it may actually be benificial not to fully charge your battery for although it may run out of charge sooner it may prolong the life of the battery.
Thats Lithium Polymer not Lithium Ion I think
Old 06 March 2021, 09:23   #97

Quote:
More than the outboard I'm twitching re getting the Elling. This is week one of the two week period they were expected and I'm running out of boaty things to fiddle with. I'm so far down the tick list... boat excepted... I've even resorted to upgrading my spare 5l/10l fuel cans to the rather nice ones Yamaha supply.
David

If you want a fiddle I can recommend 3d printing. I have just started and it is great fun and you could design and print a lot of things for the boat. Check out this Printer it is amanzing and all for under £200

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D...rch&ID=6285961
Old 06 March 2021, 10:25   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I have never believed in the hole de-clutter thing and actually hate the phrase. I think it has more to do with OCD than anything else to be honest. Dont sell you old stuff till you are sure you prefer your new stuff that is my moto
Which is all well and good if you have the money to keep buying stuff without partially funding it from the sale of the item you are replacing.

Also there's the small matter of storage space. We don't all have the room to keep "things" in.

So not necessarily to do with OCD, but sometimes more to do with practicality.
Old 06 March 2021, 10:53   #99

>>> sometimes more to do with practicality.

Yep that's often the driver to selling old when buying new. But I have no strong view either way on what others should do... just know what suit me.

Interesting heads up on the 3D printer SR... but when I run out of boaty tasks more likely to be found fiddling with tech nearer 300yrs old such as in the image below...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wm Russell movement.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	136453  
Old 06 March 2021, 11:10   #100

Quote:
>>> more likely to be found fiddling with tech nearer 300yrs old such as in the image below...
Would they be the workings of a long case clock?

When are you expecting delivery of your KB350?