Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 March 2016, 07:35   #111
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Max said earlier than a new Aerotec would immediately loose half its value if sold on which I assume was made as a throwaway comment... but I could see losing 500 if you swapped one after a year. The Frib used market as mentioned above is less established but I'd expect a 500+ loss selling one of those on quickly if it didn't suit.
I will keep well clear of the aerotec F-Rib debate..but I will ask why you think a F Rib would have more deprecation than a aerotec ?

I would have very happily bought a year old 2k Frib for even 400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless ...unless you can prove from known sales ?.. I watched and waited a year to see if any would come on the market..but only one appeared that I saw ..and an aerotec owner snapped it up and is delighted with it
__________________

__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:39   #112
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>
Hardly controversial... it's a matter of fact that a more shallow V hard hull boat will be the fastest... if you judge a boats performance solely on maximum speed.
No, but I bet this will be.
OK, so I am the Neil that went to see the Bombard and Merc XR10 on Gumtree after Sean did, But, I had made sure he was the person viewing at 11:30, as I did not want to go and see it before Sean had had the option to buy and turned it down. If I had wanted to get in before Sean, I could have gone at 9, it's only 20 mins away from me.

I don't see it as being the dog that Sean obviously does. I won't clutter up this thread, but will start a new thread and post some pics of the "failing" areas, and if I can work out how also some video.
__________________

__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:41   #113
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I will keep well clear of the aerotec F-Rib debate..but I will ask why you think a F Rib would have more deprecation than a aerotec ?

I would have very happily bought a year old 2k Frib for even 400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless ...unless you can prove from known sales ?.. I watched and waited a year to see if any would come on the market..but only one appeared that I saw ..and an aerotec owner snapped it up and is delighted with it
I think it is a very difficult thing to judge TG; there are so few F-Ribs about, people could be dubious about them, in which case dep'n should be relatively high, or they could be in demand second hand in which case it will be relatively low. I suspect, advertised in the right place, it should be quite low.
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:56   #114
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,276
Oh that's interesting Neil... new thread awaited with great interest. So my old grey one was just too slow eh?

Gurnard don't think my addition of the + after the possible 500 depreciation for the Frib 375 was meaning it would be loads more than an Aerotec which I guessed at 500. I was just meaning there are not enough Fribs on the used market over a great enough period of time so there is no established trend... so 500 or so I guestimated.

Also remember I was referring to the 375 Frib which is 3100... just a gut feeling you might struggle to get much over 2500 used a year old... if only because of their high initial price.

Much the same as I thought a Honwave would only depreciate 200 compared with an Aerotec at perhaps 500 due to the Aerotec's higher initial price.


>>> would have very happily bought a year old 2k Frib for even 400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless

Actually that's the most important part of all this. It's down to what each of us want on the day and what our pockets allow us to pay. I referred to Max's comment on a year old Aerotec losing half its value (i.e. from 2300 to 1150) which was a mile out. Not to over value the Aerotec I chucked the possible 500 loss into the ring in the above thread.

However last year when we were looking for a new one and there was just one left in the country had a private sale of an as-new year old one come up I'd happily have paid within 250 of the dealers best price.

So we're looking at the same page Gurnard from just fractionally different angles.

BTW for your more inshore use with mostly yourself, pebble beach landings, bit of fishing etc... well even if there was an Aerotec around 3m I'd still pick your Frib!
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:07   #115
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
Hi Neil Yup..I appreciate that they are a new boat..and although I was very interested I was skeptical when the first came out. I waited a year to see what folks though of their purchase..I saw them in action..and I kept in touch with their owners. Only then I made my decision. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their F-Rib. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their aerotec either

Im delighted with my purchase ..and know I would have bought second hand..but there is no second hand market for them yet ? So second hand price is all speculation. I will query people who try to suggest my boat is now worth a certain price.. because it can damage the price by saying.. it is now worth 300 or whateve( taking it to extreme) .and there is no justification to it rather than opinion. ..unless it can be backed up.?

I appreciate I may have been the only one searching the market but I may also have been one of many..I dont know...I dont know if anyone knows..which is why i query second hand prices

Hope that explains why I asked for clarification

As for Aerotecs and F -Ribs..they are two different types of boat.. and everyone is different.. so comparisons can be a bit unfair .. they are both valid options to some..but one mans meat can also be another mans poison

You posted as I posted Fenlander..so I acknowledge your thots too
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:18   #116
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
No, but I bet this will be.
OK, so I am the Neil that went to see the Bombard and Merc XR10 on Gumtree after Sean did, But, I had made sure he was the person viewing at 11:30, as I did not want to go and see it before Sean had had the option to buy and turned it down. If I had wanted to get in before Sean, I could have gone at 9, it's only 20 mins away from me.

I don't see it as being the dog that Sean obviously does. I won't clutter up this thread, but will start a new thread and post some pics of the "failing" areas, and if I can work out how also some video.
I never said it was a dog, I said it had more gluing required than I was willing to do. I also said it was probably worth the money he was asking (told him the same) but wasn't worth that to me as one that needed a fair bit of gluing wasn't what I was looking for (I think quite a bit may come unstuck after a few outing, particularly if motored hard with a 25HP).
__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:20   #117
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Neil Yup..I appreciate that they are a new boat..and although I was very interested I was skeptical when the first came out. I waited a year to see what folks though of their purchase..I saw them in action..and I kept in touch with their owners. Only then I made my decision. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their F-Rib. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their aerotec either
From the two I have seen and been out with, they are an excellent boat, and I would happily buy one if I was in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Im delighted with my purchase.
And you should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hope that explains why I asked for clarification
It wasn't my comment that prompted your asking for clarification, so no issue from my side

I am hoping to get up your way with the F Ribs and Sibs lot in September, so hope to meet you in person and enjoy some of that great scenery you have up there.
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:38   #118
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I never said it was a dog
No, you didn't, but that was the impression I (and I think others, but I cannot speak for them) got from your posts.

Time will tell, you might have been right to walk away. I only really went to look because of the engine and ability to upgrade it to a 15, but have now got a boat in far better condition that the one I bought off Fenlander (which to be fair, is very sound despite all the patches, and will give someone else the opportunity to try a BAT for very little money compared to the price they usually fetch.
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:40   #119
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Oh that's interesting Neil... new thread awaited with great interest. So my old grey one was just too slow eh?
You know red is faster, and this one has black go faster stripes as well
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:40   #120
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
No, you didn't, but that was the impression I (and I think others, but I cannot speak for them) got from your posts.

Time will tell, you might have been right to walk away. I only really went to look because of the engine and ability to upgrade it to a 15, but have now got a boat in far better condition that the one I bought off Fenlander (which to be fair, is very sound despite all the patches, and will give someone else the opportunity to try a BAT for very little money compared to the price they usually fetch.
I was I admit a little uneasy with some of the owners claims, which makes me uneasy parting with money (though he seemed a fair and decent bloke). It was all the talk of it being 13 HP and he bought the boat new 6-7 years ago from Barnet (with the black patches) when they never came with patches (those are not factory fitted I'm sure you'd agree), the boat is 14years old not 6-7 and I'm not convinced he bought that from new either (could be wrong) and it doesn't make any difference, it's whether you're happy with it that counts.

As I said before in posts, it was well worth the money, I had said to the chap selling it that someone wanting the outboard would probably pay more than me as I wanted to boat and it wasn't really what I was looking for. I really wanted new, I looked at that hoping I'd get a season or two trouble free boating and go from there. To me (and its only with very limited knowledge, I thought I'd be gluing sooner than this and that wasn't what I wanted, I'd rather pay more for a newer boat).

I am by the way happy that you managed to buy it before someone else does and hope that it proves to be a good purchase for you, I think it will (if you paid what he offered it to me for then theres no way you can lose on it anyway). WELL WORTH THE MONEY
__________________

__________________
SeanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.