Old 25 March 2016, 20:49   #101

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>It was transom joins and floor to tubes, I could peel it back a way. If I'd tugged hard enough could have probably had transom separated in a few minutes.

Oh shame.. I'd have walked away from that too.... mainly because of his dishonesty being gradually revealed.

There is one thing that might help you now... prices do rise in the spring but so does availability.

Have you thought any more about trying to find a dealer with a new one in stock so you can examine fully inflated before parting with any cash?
Old 25 March 2016, 22:58   #102

Jeezo Seankent you've certainly had a nightmare time trying to get a decent Sib.
TBH if I were you I'd buy a new Honwave 3.8te.
Cheaper than most 2nd hand Aerotechs and don't suffer as badly from the infamous splash back issues.
It ain't gonna depreciate that much come next year eithers.
Plenty dealers got them in stock - go and see it blown up in the flesh, once your happy chuck it in your car and your set.
Also saves you money over a new Aerotech so more money available for a better power plant.
Just my tuppence won't be everyone's elses view but I think I would have a foul taste in my mouth by now for an Aerotech old or new😕
Old 25 March 2016, 23:50   #103

have you looked at F-ribs?

they are similar money to the aerotec's but with the benefit of a solid hull.
Old 26 March 2016, 00:24   #104

Xk59D you have hit the nail on the head with that thot.

Seconds after I posted my last it occurred to me that the Frib was another potential solution - albeit a pricey one.

The Gurnard is certainly tickled pink with the quality of his Frib.

Head to head if I was going up sh@t creek without a paddle I would take the soild hull of a Frib any day of the week over a fully inflatable structured boat.
I'll retreat to my nuclear bunker now
Old 26 March 2016, 01:03   #105

my local service dealer sells f-ribs and they look magic.

they are expensive but you could save the difference buying a smaller engine and still outperform an aerotec. there are some vids on YT with a 15hp on 3.8 f-rib getting 22mpg GPS.
Old 26 March 2016, 03:05   #106

they are expensive but you could save the difference buying a smaller engine and still outperform an aerotec. [/QUOTE]

Oooft throw away comments like that will start a riot!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458961559182.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	111544  
Old 26 March 2016, 08:23   #107

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>It was transom joins and floor to tubes, I could peel it back a way. If I'd tugged hard enough could have probably had transom separated in a few minutes.

Oh shame.. I'd have walked away from that too.... mainly because of his dishonesty being gradually revealed.

There is one thing that might help you now... prices do rise in the spring but so does availability.

Have you thought any more about trying to find a dealer with a new one in stock so you can examine fully inflated before parting with any cash?
Barnet Marine is my local dealer and they say that it may well come with small imperfections. Basically the quality isn't what it was.
Old 26 March 2016, 08:24   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Jeezo Seankent you've certainly had a nightmare time trying to get a decent Sib.
TBH if I were you I'd buy a new Honwave 3.8te.
Cheaper than most 2nd hand Aerotechs and don't suffer as badly from the infamous splash back issues.
It ain't gonna depreciate that much come next year eithers.
Plenty dealers got them in stock - go and see it blown up in the flesh, once your happy chuck it in your car and your set.
Also saves you money over a new Aerotech so more money available for a better power plant.
Just my tuppence won't be everyone's elses view but I think I would have a foul taste in my mouth by now for an Aerotech old or new😕
Keep thinking the same thing
Old 26 March 2016, 08:28   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
my local service dealer sells f-ribs and they look magic.

they are expensive but you could save the difference buying a smaller engine and still outperform an aerotec. there are some vids on YT with a 15hp on 3.8 f-rib getting 22mpg GPS.
Have looked at these, would mean an outboard change (really wanted to keep my 25HP). be interested to see how gurnard gets on with his.
Old 26 March 2016, 09:58   #110

>>>they are expensive but you could save the difference buying a smaller engine and still outperform an aerotec.
>>>Oooft throw away comments like that will start a riot!

Hardly controversial... it's a matter of fact that a more shallow V hard hull boat will be the fastest... if you judge a boats performance solely on maximum speed.

Sean I've linked this before but one of the guys on the Frib site owned a 375 Frib and an Aerotec 380 in the same time frame and wrote an excellent unbiased review comparing them. It's the 4th post down by "Harrison" on this thread.

F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - 'Back to Back' F-Rib375 with Aerotec 380

You should be able to relate the differing attributes of each to match your boating needs. The simple fact is that had a Frib matched our needs best in the 3.8m size I'd have bought one... it didn't... so I didn't! But they are a viable and interesting concept.

BTW despite owning an Aerotec I often advise the Honwave 380 air floor as mentioned above. Buy one at a discount for £1300 less than the Aerotec... if you like it then it's all great... if not sell after a year at the peak time of year with perhaps just a £200 loss.

Max said earlier than a new Aerotec would immediately loose half its value if sold on which I assume was made as a throwaway comment... but I could see losing £500 if you swapped one after a year. The Frib used market as mentioned above is less established but I'd expect a £500+ loss selling one of those on quickly if it didn't suit.
Old 26 March 2016, 11:35   #111

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Max said earlier than a new Aerotec would immediately loose half its value if sold on which I assume was made as a throwaway comment... but I could see losing £500 if you swapped one after a year. The Frib used market as mentioned above is less established but I'd expect a £500+ loss selling one of those on quickly if it didn't suit.
I will keep well clear of the aerotec F-Rib debate..but I will ask why you think a F Rib would have more deprecation than a aerotec ?

I would have very happily bought a year old £2k Frib for even £400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless ...unless you can prove from known sales ?.. I watched and waited a year to see if any would come on the market..but only one appeared that I saw ..and an aerotec owner snapped it up and is delighted with it
Old 26 March 2016, 11:39   #112

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
>>>
Hardly controversial... it's a matter of fact that a more shallow V hard hull boat will be the fastest... if you judge a boats performance solely on maximum speed.
No, but I bet this will be.
OK, so I am the Neil that went to see the Bombard and Merc XR10 on Gumtree after Sean did, But, I had made sure he was the person viewing at 11:30, as I did not want to go and see it before Sean had had the option to buy and turned it down. If I had wanted to get in before Sean, I could have gone at 9, it's only 20 mins away from me.

I don't see it as being the dog that Sean obviously does. I won't clutter up this thread, but will start a new thread and post some pics of the "failing" areas, and if I can work out how also some video.
Old 26 March 2016, 11:41   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I will keep well clear of the aerotec F-Rib debate..but I will ask why you think a F Rib would have more deprecation than a aerotec ?

I would have very happily bought a year old £2k Frib for even £400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless ...unless you can prove from known sales ?.. I watched and waited a year to see if any would come on the market..but only one appeared that I saw ..and an aerotec owner snapped it up and is delighted with it
I think it is a very difficult thing to judge TG; there are so few F-Ribs about, people could be dubious about them, in which case dep'n should be relatively high, or they could be in demand second hand in which case it will be relatively low. I suspect, advertised in the right place, it should be quite low.
Old 26 March 2016, 11:56   #114

Oh that's interesting Neil... new thread awaited with great interest. So my old grey one was just too slow eh?

Gurnard don't think my addition of the + after the possible £500 depreciation for the Frib 375 was meaning it would be loads more than an Aerotec which I guessed at £500. I was just meaning there are not enough Fribs on the used market over a great enough period of time so there is no established trend... so £500 or so I guestimated.

Also remember I was referring to the 375 Frib which is £3100... just a gut feeling you might struggle to get much over £2500 used a year old... if only because of their high initial price.

Much the same as I thought a Honwave would only depreciate £200 compared with an Aerotec at perhaps £500 due to the Aerotec's higher initial price.

>>> would have very happily bought a year old £2k Frib for even £400 off new price.. as long as condition was good. IMO second hand values offered by someone not looking for one are meaningless

Actually that's the most important part of all this. It's down to what each of us want on the day and what our pockets allow us to pay. I referred to Max's comment on a year old Aerotec losing half its value (i.e. from £2300 to £1150) which was a mile out. Not to over value the Aerotec I chucked the possible £500 loss into the ring in the above thread.

However last year when we were looking for a new one and there was just one left in the country had a private sale of an as-new year old one come up I'd happily have paid within £250 of the dealers best price.

So we're looking at the same page Gurnard from just fractionally different angles.

BTW for your more inshore use with mostly yourself, pebble beach landings, bit of fishing etc... well even if there was an Aerotec around 3m I'd still pick your Frib!
Old 26 March 2016, 12:07   #115

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Neil Yup..I appreciate that they are a new boat..and although I was very interested I was skeptical when the first came out. I waited a year to see what folks though of their purchase..I saw them in action..and I kept in touch with their owners. Only then I made my decision. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their F-Rib. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their aerotec either

Im delighted with my purchase ..and know I would have bought second hand..but there is no second hand market for them yet ? So second hand price is all speculation. I will query people who try to suggest my boat is now worth a certain price.. because it can damage the price by saying.. it is now worth £300 or whateve( taking it to extreme) .and there is no justification to it rather than opinion. ..unless it can be backed up.?

I appreciate I may have been the only one searching the market but I may also have been one of many..I dont know...I dont know if anyone knows..which is why i query second hand prices

Hope that explains why I asked for clarification

As for Aerotecs and F -Ribs..they are two different types of boat.. and everyone is different.. so comparisons can be a bit unfair .. they are both valid options to some..but one mans meat can also be another mans poison

You posted as I posted Fenlander..so I acknowledge your thots too
Old 26 March 2016, 12:18   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
No, but I bet this will be.
OK, so I am the Neil that went to see the Bombard and Merc XR10 on Gumtree after Sean did, But, I had made sure he was the person viewing at 11:30, as I did not want to go and see it before Sean had had the option to buy and turned it down. If I had wanted to get in before Sean, I could have gone at 9, it's only 20 mins away from me.

I don't see it as being the dog that Sean obviously does. I won't clutter up this thread, but will start a new thread and post some pics of the "failing" areas, and if I can work out how also some video.
I never said it was a dog, I said it had more gluing required than I was willing to do. I also said it was probably worth the money he was asking (told him the same) but wasn't worth that to me as one that needed a fair bit of gluing wasn't what I was looking for (I think quite a bit may come unstuck after a few outing, particularly if motored hard with a 25HP).
Old 26 March 2016, 12:20   #117

Quote:
Hi Neil Yup..I appreciate that they are a new boat..and although I was very interested I was skeptical when the first came out. I waited a year to see what folks though of their purchase..I saw them in action..and I kept in touch with their owners. Only then I made my decision. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their F-Rib. I dont know anyone who is unhappy with their aerotec either
From the two I have seen and been out with, they are an excellent boat, and I would happily buy one if I was in the market.

Quote:
Im delighted with my purchase.
And you should be

Quote:
Hope that explains why I asked for clarification
It wasn't my comment that prompted your asking for clarification, so no issue from my side

I am hoping to get up your way with the F Ribs and Sibs lot in September, so hope to meet you in person and enjoy some of that great scenery you have up there.
Old 26 March 2016, 12:38   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I never said it was a dog
No, you didn't, but that was the impression I (and I think others, but I cannot speak for them) got from your posts.

Time will tell, you might have been right to walk away. I only really went to look because of the engine and ability to upgrade it to a 15, but have now got a boat in far better condition that the one I bought off Fenlander (which to be fair, is very sound despite all the patches, and will give someone else the opportunity to try a BAT for very little money compared to the price they usually fetch.
Old 26 March 2016, 12:40   #119

Quote:
Oh that's interesting Neil... new thread awaited with great interest. So my old grey one was just too slow eh?
You know red is faster, and this one has black go faster stripes as well
Old 26 March 2016, 15:40   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
No, you didn't, but that was the impression I (and I think others, but I cannot speak for them) got from your posts.

Time will tell, you might have been right to walk away. I only really went to look because of the engine and ability to upgrade it to a 15, but have now got a boat in far better condition that the one I bought off Fenlander (which to be fair, is very sound despite all the patches, and will give someone else the opportunity to try a BAT for very little money compared to the price they usually fetch.
I was I admit a little uneasy with some of the owners claims, which makes me uneasy parting with money (though he seemed a fair and decent bloke). It was all the talk of it being 13 HP and he bought the boat new 6-7 years ago from Barnet (with the black patches) when they never came with patches (those are not factory fitted I'm sure you'd agree), the boat is 14years old not 6-7 and I'm not convinced he bought that from new either (could be wrong) and it doesn't make any difference, it's whether you're happy with it that counts.

As I said before in posts, it was well worth the money, I had said to the chap selling it that someone wanting the outboard would probably pay more than me as I wanted to boat and it wasn't really what I was looking for. I really wanted new, I looked at that hoping I'd get a season or two trouble free boating and go from there. To me (and its only with very limited knowledge, I thought I'd be gluing sooner than this and that wasn't what I wanted, I'd rather pay more for a newer boat).

I am by the way happy that you managed to buy it before someone else does and hope that it proves to be a good purchase for you, I think it will (if you paid what he offered it to me for then theres no way you can lose on it anyway). WELL WORTH THE MONEY