Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 March 2006, 15:19   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 93
Im sure we've all broken the speed limit at some stage in our lives, The amount of times ive ended up in court when i managed a team of 10 reps who drove 1500 miles a week to save their licences you wouldnt believe!!!

If anyone out there says they havnt broken a speed limit im quite worried!!! Mind you how about those caravan drivers who stick to 20 miles an hour surely their a hazard when people are trying to overtake them!! I got done for that as i had to break the 30 mile an hour speed limit to get past the gits, Mind you i think the police were more concerened about the trebble stacking dinghy trailer i had on the back and one on the roof!!! OOOPPPPSSS...

Good luck Bob it comes to us all mate!!!
__________________

__________________
Phill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 15:40   #32
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 353
Careful Chaps Am I Right In Thinking That One Of Our Number
Is The Plod ???
__________________

__________________
SOLENTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 15:40   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: west sussex
Make: (on order)
Length: 6m +
Engine: not sure
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 46
www.pepipoo.com
__________________
widey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:22   #34
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Guys

I break the speed limits with the rest of them, but 30 limits in built up areas are there to protect kids like mine and yours. There are houses all round that road.

Sorry Jimbo, but over 40 in a 30 in a built up area = Wanker as far as I'm concerned.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:31   #35
Member
 
pressman's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 373
__________________
pressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:45   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Sorry Jimbo, but over 40 in a 30 in a built up area = Wanker as far as I'm concerned.
No need to apologise, I don't take it personally!

I understand your point entirely, and can see where you're coming from. However:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I break the speed limits with the rest of them, but 30 limits in built up areas are there to protect kids like mine and yours.
So what are the speed limits you break there for? Whenever you take a decision to break a speed limit, that is down to you, and you alone. Either you are driving carelessly, or you have made a decision based on your knowledge of the road, your weather conditions, and your car's handling, as to what is and isn't a safe speed.

If there were no speed limits, would you drive below 30mph in all areas that are currently 30mph zones?

If you are involved in an accident on a road which, by your own admission, you are breaking a speed limit, and it could have been prevented by driving slower, are the kids that are potential involved in that accident any more or less important than the kids playing in the road? 30mph limits may be there to help prevent accidents in built up areas, but surely the design of the speed limits on the roads where you break the limits are designed to prevent accidents also? And surely your compelling argument of "think of the children" is just as valid on any road? In your case, it's even valid when there are no other cars involved, as you are likely to have your kids in the car.

Unfair then, to call Bob a wanker for breaking a speed limit on the grounds that it endangers others, when by your own admission you do the same. Unless of course you're saying that when you break the speed limit it's ok, because you've assessed what is and isn't a safe speed? In which case, is it ok for you to make that assessment and not Bob?

I don't break speed limits anymore. I don't break 20mph, 30, 40, 50, 70 etc, if that's what the signs say. This is because I decided my license is more valuable than a few minutes, my fuel economy is better when I do 65 rather than 90, and I have no wish to become another young driver statistic. I used to drive very fast, because I thought my reactions were fantastic and my control of the car impeccable (it still is ) and have 3 points on my license to prove it, but if you're going to not break speed limits on the grounds that it endangers people, is it really down to you to decide which are more dangerous, and dictate who is and isn't a wanker based on simply the speed limit figure, rather than the overall circumstances?

I'm not saying all speed limits are wrong/right, but if speed limits are there (note: limits not cameras) they are there because somewhere along the line someone decided they were safe, perhaps altered the flow of traffic, prevented noise, and encouraged motorists to see and plan for more hazards. So, I don't see how you can agree emphatically with one limit, but disregard others.
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:50   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,255
Jeezus, you're old before your time. Have you got your smoking jacket and slippers on?
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:55   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
So, I don't see how you can agree emphatically with one limit, but disregard others.

Quite easily- there's an awful lot more to limit placement than safety. Political lobbying, sheer stupidity and revenue raising to name a few. Codders 70-30-50 limit for example, or the b-road round here that happened to pass the local MP's mother's house who kept complaining about road noise...It's dropped from NSL to 30...
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:55   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Jeezus, you're old before your time. Have you got your smoking jacket and slippers on?
Not yet, I'm too busy putting hot water into the Horlicks. Have to be careful though, because too much and it all spills when I'm using the stairlift...
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 16:58   #40
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Jeezus, you're old before your time. Have you got your smoking jacket and slippers on?


I have a saying.....Endanger your own life, not some one elses!

We've all sped at some time, and will do so in the future. Accident....Fair cop! Deliberate.....W*n*er!

Take the wrap and learn from it!

The End
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.