Old 28 March 2006, 12:20   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Speed camera

Someone (let's just call him "Bob") was driving a car through Southampton the other day, on the dual carriageway near Towsure. Bob saw a speed camera, and slowed down to 40 MPH thinking that that was the correct speed. Unfortunately this stretch of road is actually 30mph, and this morning he received a notice from the police saying he was 9 mph over the speed limit, and that he must provide details of who was driving at the time.

Now, Bob is only 19, and only passed his test 18 months ago. When you first pass your test you only get 6 points on your licence. Bob is keen to keep his 6 points just in case it happens again.

So to my question. The camera was a forward facing one and would have taken a photograph of the front of the vehicle. If Bob sends the form back to the police saying his father was driving, are they likely to be able to tell (from the photo). Moreover, can Bob request a copy of the photo before he sends the form back, so he can see if the driver is visible.....
Old 28 March 2006, 12:34   #2

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Bob is a very naughty boy

I believe you can only get a copy of the picture if you request the case is herd in court.

I have 9 points on my license and 2 week ban for doing 103 - I know how bob feels - Ive had 15 in total over the last 14 years (6 have expired).

Bobs cheapest and quickest way out of this is to just pay the fixed penalty and take the points and be careful for the reminder of the period until he goes up to 12 points.

I wouldn't take the risk on a front facing camera. Was bob wearing his seat belt - they can also have him for that if they see that he wasn't
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 12:35   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
You have a right to request evidence of the alleged offence within a set time frame (7 days?) if you say you cant be sure who was driving at the time and they'll send you a photo. Two that I have seen sent to a certain moresauce on this site are so grainy it was impossible to tell who was at the wheel...
Old 28 March 2006, 12:42   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Someone (let's just call him "Bob") was driving a car through Southampton the other day, on the dual carriageway near Towsure. Bob saw a speed camera, and slowed down to 40 MPH thinking that that was the correct speed. Unfortunately this stretch of road is actually 30mph, and this morning he received a notice from the police saying he was 9 mph over the speed limit, and that he must provide details of who was driving at the time.

Now, Bob is only 19, and only passed his test 18 months ago. When you first pass your test you only get 6 points on your licence. Bob is keen to keep his 6 points just in case it happens again.

So to my question. The camera was a forward facing one and would have taken a photograph of the front of the vehicle. If Bob sends the form back to the police saying his father was driving, are they likely to be able to tell (from the photo). Moreover, can Bob request a copy of the photo before he sends the form back, so he can see if the driver is visible.....
I think Bob should try and get a copy of the said photograph to be on the safe side otherwise I think Bob and his Father could be in more trouble.

So for how long does Bob only have 6 points before he can gain a further 6 points to get a 12 point licence?
Old 28 March 2006, 12:45   #5

MMSI: Nope
Dear Bob,

In my humble opinion this is a bit of a no-brainer.

Follow the linky......what you are doing or considering doing fits the bill very nicely (pun not intended) so be very very careful.

Regards
Robin

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perverting_the_course_of_justice
Old 28 March 2006, 12:49   #6

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Go here http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Home/Menu1.htm

Very usefull site...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 12:50   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
If Bob slowed down to 40 on this specific section of dual carriageway, he must have been zipping past the drivers who will have slowed down to 30..

imo, Bob should accept these three points without a fight, and then transfer the V5 to his father, who will then automatically get any further speeding fines.. If Bob decides to deny he was driving his own car, then the police may get a little suspicious..

I also wouldn't trust the quality of any photograph the police decide to let you see, they may just have a better resolution one they are saving for a court appearance..
Old 28 March 2006, 12:55   #8

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
I know somebodies wife who has 3 points and she doesnt know where they came from!!

As long as they get the money there seems to be little resistance but if you start saying i don't know who was driving thats when the photo comes into play.

Just make sure Bobs father didn't get flashed 300 miles away at the same time!!
Old 28 March 2006, 13:32   #9

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Is that the camera right by the sign that says "Still a 30mph limit"?
Old 28 March 2006, 13:47   #10

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Tell the nipper to bloody well slow down. People speeding in 30 mph zones really p--sses me off.
Old 28 March 2006, 14:06   #11

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: E-Tec 90
When I was robbed I wasn't offered the chance to see the photo, unless you decided to deny the charge by which stage the penalty would have doubled and costs would be involved as well...

I think it would be an interesting experiment for us to see if you can get away with it. I suspect that as long as someone admits they were driving and pays the fine they won't look too hard at the photo (as long as both people concerned are the same sex...) and I am brave enough to let Bob risk a charge of perverting the course of justice for our amusement
Old 28 March 2006, 14:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M

Bob is a prat - that road has 2 speed cameras on it and is extremely well marked as a 30!

I think bob should do what another (then) 19 year old student did in a similar situation (44 in a 40) and take the fine and the points. You'd be suprised how little your insurance actually increases, and it certainly focuses the mind as to not getting any more points!

Was bob towing at the time
Old 28 March 2006, 15:04   #13

Town: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
Tell the nipper to bloody well slow down. People speeding in 30 mph zones really p--sses me off.
Spot on! He slowed down to 40mph, so what speed was Bob doing in a 30?
Old 28 March 2006, 15:06   #14

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
I Think he will have to own up.....these sort of things catch up with you.
Old 28 March 2006, 15:11   #15

Town: romsey
Boat name: marlin monroe
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: honda 50
My daughter got 3 points for speeding (40 in a 30 limit) as a learner.... I was teaching her and told her to do 40 and keep up with the traffic as I thought that was the limit ( A3024 Bitterne road west). Yes, I know! The 30 signs are the size of Belgium!! Tried to argue I should take the points as it was my mistake and was told if we moaned we'd BOTH get points. The photo, by the way, was excellent...very clear and good colour! Now framed in the downstairs loo!

Mike
Old 28 March 2006, 15:35   #16

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
tell the speedy little bugger to slow down in 30's 40's 50's cos they are there for a reason, he seems to be too new to driving to not learn from his/her mistake.

remember at 30....80% of pedestrian people survive but at 40 thenthe statistic is reversed or something like that in the tv ad.

if twas my son i would make him take the points and no argument whatsoever. needs to learn the lesson

just looking round to buy my son his first motorbike but hopefully he wont be zapped by cameras as he is only 5!

Old 28 March 2006, 16:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
My daughter got 3 points for speeding (40 in a 30 limit) as a learner.... I was teaching her and told her to do 40 and keep up with the traffic as I thought that was the limit ( A3024 Bitterne road west). Yes, I know! The 30 signs are the size of Belgium!! Tried to argue I should take the points as it was my mistake and was told if we moaned we'd BOTH get points. The photo, by the way, was excellent...very clear and good colour! Now framed in the downstairs loo!

Mike
When I was learning to drive I was fairly emphatically told that whoever was supervising me driving automatically got the points as well as me - no arguments! Think you were lucky that only she got the points...

I think with these things if you're at fault, it's far better to just come clean and cop the flack for it.
Old 28 March 2006, 17:00   #18

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
When I was learning to drive I was fairly emphatically told that whoever was supervising me driving automatically got the points as well as me - no arguments!
Not true, the person driving gets the points.
Old 28 March 2006, 17:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Not true, the person driving gets the points.
I stand corrected!
Old 28 March 2006, 17:13   #20

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Tim (Bob)

Take the points and shut up. 30 limits in a built up area are mostly there to protect kids that run out into the road without thinking. Bob was doing a lot more than 40 by the sound of it, so You're 'mate' Bob is a w*nk*r.

That road is clearly marked as 30, anyone who can't see the signs, or is prepared to steam past everyone else who has slowed down, is not only a complete prat, but shouldn't be allowed on the road anyway.

Nasher.