Old 28 May 2007, 21:43   #141

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Geez... I don't know that I'm the one for that! I was sailor long before I became a "stink-potter"... and will probably go back to it again eventually... especially as fuel goes up and up and up...!

Mind you, the lads would have trouble getting air in a 40 -footer!
You know, that is a good point, wonder how a mast might look on my boat....

Old 29 May 2007, 06:52   #142

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
I don't think I could ever give up using a RIB. But I don't think I could stop sailing either. Sailing is meant for distance and you know how I feel about long distance boating. Stoo, what kind of boats did you sail?

Old 29 May 2007, 06:57   #143

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Most of my sailing and acing was in keel-boats... 32s, 40s... mostly C&Cs. I trained to crew on a Canada's Cup challenger, but had to abandon that little exercise to take a job in the Bahamas.

The SO and I are contemplating buying a little dingy of some sort to get out on the water, but haven't found the right one so far. The water is so friggin' cold around here, that dingy sailing means drysuits etc. which takes some of the fun out of it...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 08:04   #144

Re : sailing

Two friends of mine have sailboats, whenever we have gone for a cruise I have always claimed complete and utter lack of knowledge ( not too far from true) so as to avoid the work aspect of crewing a boat. This has worked well so far to maintain my relaxed posture (reclining with a margarita in my hand) while others have been busy. I do believe they are beginning to doubt my claims.. No matter, ignorance in this case, is bliss!
Old 30 May 2007, 09:23   #145

curious...

We haven't yet seen any air shots yet this year boys....
Old 30 May 2007, 19:20   #146

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
A ha! More confirmation of my theory that many US RIB owners are sailors, who are smarter than most hard boaters to begin with!

My start in RIBs was/still is, for coaching sailors.
Old 30 May 2007, 21:17   #147

I always think of sailing as something you "do", whereas "ribbing" is something I do to get somewhere to do something else. I don't often just bomb around, but use the boat to dive and camp. (Mind you, I have been known to take mighty scenic routes to and from the diving and camping spots!)

I kep thinking I should give up northern diving before too long, and when I do, we'll likely look at a sailboat suitable for some extended cruising. The North Channel near here is a fabulous area for sailing....

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 31 May 2007, 09:57   #148

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Tried to go sailing yesterday. Strong winds out of the south, south east. The boat is tied up facing north on the starboard side. The prop makes the boat walk to starboard as well. Had to use a lot of power to get the boat moving against the wind. Had to reverse out and make a right. But we just couldn't get the damn thing to rotate in the channel. very close quarters. It's a tricky bastard because the volvo engine is tiny and 17 years old. I looked like such an ass.
Frustrated my girlfriend and I fueled the Hurricane and went bombing around for 2 hours just to feel some kind of competence for awhile. Stupid underpowered sailboats. I know there is some technique I am not understanding but it sucks to look stupid in a beautiful sailboat.

any words of advice dctucker. Could it have something to do with the boats cruising keel. I watched other people have no problems doing exactly what we tried.
(I think I might need to join a sailing forum to spare everyone all this sailing talk)

Ro
Old 31 May 2007, 14:39   #149

Steering a sail boat under power is simple... as long as it's moving. With an outboard, you can direct the thrust to steer the boat... Not so with a sailboat.

This is great advice of course... as long as the wind doesn't send you someplace before you can get underway. Next time, you could use Fat Bastard as a tug perhaps!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 04 June 2007, 00:30   #150

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Tried to go sailing yesterday. Strong winds out of the south, south east. The boat is tied up facing north on the starboard side. The prop makes the boat walk to starboard as well. Had to use a lot of power to get the boat moving against the wind. Had to reverse out and make a right. But we just couldn't get the damn thing to rotate in the channel. very close quarters. It's a tricky bastard because the volvo engine is tiny and 17 years old. I looked like such an ass.
Frustrated my girlfriend and I fueled the Hurricane and went bombing around for 2 hours just to feel some kind of competence for awhile. Stupid underpowered sailboats. I know there is some technique I am not understanding but it sucks to look stupid in a beautiful sailboat.

any words of advice dctucker. Could it have something to do with the boats cruising keel. I watched other people have no problems doing exactly what we tried.
(I think I might need to join a sailing forum to spare everyone all this sailing talk)

Ro
Reverse to the right, against the wind? If so, yes, there is something you could have done: The trick here is to use a spring line somewhat forward (or is it aft?) on the boat to pivot the boat around the end of the dock. You could lay out extra fenders, back the boat along the dock, then snub the spring to something appropriately sturdy, forward of the midship, once about 1/2 the boat is past the end of the dock.

I doubt I'm explaining it well, which is difficult to do, but it's remarkably simple to do, if you get the fulcrum and snubbing point right. Find a copy of Chapman's it probably would do a better job explaining it than I!

Here's some decent looking explanations http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/docking.htm