Old 29 May 2007, 01:43   #141

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Geez... I don't know that I'm the one for that! I was sailor long before I became a "stink-potter"... and will probably go back to it again eventually... especially as fuel goes up and up and up...!

Mind you, the lads would have trouble getting air in a 40 -footer!
You know, that is a good point, wonder how a mast might look on my boat....
Old 29 May 2007, 10:52   #142

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
I don't think I could ever give up using a RIB. But I don't think I could stop sailing either. Sailing is meant for distance and you know how I feel about long distance boating. Stoo, what kind of boats did you sail?
Old 29 May 2007, 10:57   #143

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Most of my sailing and acing was in keel-boats... 32s, 40s... mostly C&Cs. I trained to crew on a Canada's Cup challenger, but had to abandon that little exercise to take a job in the Bahamas.

The SO and I are contemplating buying a little dingy of some sort to get out on the water, but haven't found the right one so far. The water is so friggin' cold around here, that dingy sailing means drysuits etc. which takes some of the fun out of it...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 12:04   #144

Re : sailing

Two friends of mine have sailboats, whenever we have gone for a cruise I have always claimed complete and utter lack of knowledge ( not too far from true) so as to avoid the work aspect of crewing a boat. This has worked well so far to maintain my relaxed posture (reclining with a margarita in my hand) while others have been busy. I do believe they are beginning to doubt my claims.. No matter, ignorance in this case, is bliss!
Old 30 May 2007, 13:23   #145

curious...

We haven't yet seen any air shots yet this year boys....
Old 30 May 2007, 23:20   #146

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
A ha! More confirmation of my theory that many US RIB owners are sailors, who are smarter than most hard boaters to begin with!

My start in RIBs was/still is, for coaching sailors.
Old 31 May 2007, 01:17   #147

I always think of sailing as something you "do", whereas "ribbing" is something I do to get somewhere to do something else. I don't often just bomb around, but use the boat to dive and camp. (Mind you, I have been known to take mighty scenic routes to and from the diving and camping spots!)

I kep thinking I should give up northern diving before too long, and when I do, we'll likely look at a sailboat suitable for some extended cruising. The North Channel near here is a fabulous area for sailing....

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 31 May 2007, 13:57   #148

Tried to go sailing yesterday. Strong winds out of the south, south east. The boat is tied up facing north on the starboard side. The prop makes the boat walk to starboard as well. Had to use a lot of power to get the boat moving against the wind. Had to reverse out and make a right. But we just couldn't get the damn thing to rotate in the channel. very close quarters. It's a tricky bastard because the volvo engine is tiny and 17 years old. I looked like such an ass.
Frustrated my girlfriend and I fueled the Hurricane and went bombing around for 2 hours just to feel some kind of competence for awhile. Stupid underpowered sailboats. I know there is some technique I am not understanding but it sucks to look stupid in a beautiful sailboat.

any words of advice dctucker. Could it have something to do with the boats cruising keel. I watched other people have no problems doing exactly what we tried.
(I think I might need to join a sailing forum to spare everyone all this sailing talk)

Ro
Old 31 May 2007, 18:39   #149

Steering a sail boat under power is simple... as long as it's moving. With an outboard, you can direct the thrust to steer the boat... Not so with a sailboat.

This is great advice of course... as long as the wind doesn't send you someplace before you can get underway. Next time, you could use Fat Bastard as a tug perhaps!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 04 June 2007, 04:30   #150

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Tried to go sailing yesterday. Strong winds out of the south, south east. The boat is tied up facing north on the starboard side. The prop makes the boat walk to starboard as well. Had to use a lot of power to get the boat moving against the wind. Had to reverse out and make a right. But we just couldn't get the damn thing to rotate in the channel. very close quarters. It's a tricky bastard because the volvo engine is tiny and 17 years old. I looked like such an ass.
Frustrated my girlfriend and I fueled the Hurricane and went bombing around for 2 hours just to feel some kind of competence for awhile. Stupid underpowered sailboats. I know there is some technique I am not understanding but it sucks to look stupid in a beautiful sailboat.

any words of advice dctucker. Could it have something to do with the boats cruising keel. I watched other people have no problems doing exactly what we tried.
(I think I might need to join a sailing forum to spare everyone all this sailing talk)

Ro
Reverse to the right, against the wind? If so, yes, there is something you could have done: The trick here is to use a spring line somewhat forward (or is it aft?) on the boat to pivot the boat around the end of the dock. You could lay out extra fenders, back the boat along the dock, then snub the spring to something appropriately sturdy, forward of the midship, once about 1/2 the boat is past the end of the dock.

I doubt I'm explaining it well, which is difficult to do, but it's remarkably simple to do, if you get the fulcrum and snubbing point right. Find a copy of Chapman's it probably would do a better job explaining it than I!

Here's some decent looking explanations http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/docking.htm
Old 18 July 2007, 01:11   #151

Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
New Additions

So far I have added and attached 4 grab handles and 2 large d-ring patches for the transom straps. I also decided to paint the A-frame black and put keelgaurd on the hull. The more I work on this boat the bigger the to do list gets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	28551   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	28552   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	28553   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	28554   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	28555  

Old 18 July 2007, 02:31   #152

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Hi Bryan
lookin really good. I am considering a Keelguard. How did the installation go?
T. ( project LOMAC)
Old 18 July 2007, 03:08   #153

Installation is not very hard it is just a really awkward position to lie under your boat between the trailer for an hour +. I practiced lining it up a couple times and then prepped the area and went for it. Works great.
Old 18 July 2007, 03:15   #154

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
Just thought Id give my help, I installed the keel guard, it was not too bad, I love it but will give you a couple of hints, The kits comes with everything needed, instructions are good, You have to commit to spending the time to prep the hull right. The first problem I had was after scuffing and cleaning the hull you have to prime it. They include a small container filled with the primer, the instructions are to snap it in the middle and use the sponge like applicater to spread it on the hull, as soon as I started to use it the sponge tip fell apart and the primer started to just leak everywhere , I almsot lost it all and would have been in a tought position, I finished priming by trying to hold the loose sponge on and soaking it with the remainder primer, I wore rubber gloves and was lucky I was ready.
Make sure the guard is nice and warm, dry form it on the bottom of the hull before final fit, I started at the front and used duct tape to hold it on While I tried to form it the best I could, I have a searider and there are a few strakes that messed me up a bit, was really hard to completely form it on at these spots, I ended up useing scrap pieces Of wood and would shim them against the guard and trailer to hold it tight, I should have had more boards available when I started there were a few spots that were w bit off from the hull, I finished this off with some adhesive and another round of shiming board tightly to get it as tight as I could, , Without the strakes it would have gone perfect for me, I love it and do not feel I lost any speed, one of my concerns when I was thinking about buying it. any other questions feel free to ask me
Old 18 July 2007, 03:36   #155

Yeah that applicator is a little tricky, at first I couldn't get it to snap properly, I thought it was going to break but you need to apply quite a bit of force. Didn't have the sponge fall apart luckily. I found a good strong wallpaper roller worked better than what was supplied in the kit, you need to use a lot of pressure especially over any chines. I got lucky and only had one chine on either side to deal with. Be ready for a little neck and back pain
Old 18 July 2007, 04:22   #156

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Thanks guys. I do not have any chines to deal with so should not be too bad. Will go ahead based on your input. Thank you very much.
T.
Old 18 July 2007, 11:47   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Installation is not very hard...
... especially when you just pay someone to do it. When I bought mine, the dealer said he would install it for $75.00, so I took him up on his offer.

Bryan, your boat looks great. What have you used on the tubes? They look so shiny and new! Are they slippery?

Mine are looking old all of a sudden.... kinda like me...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 18 July 2007, 13:15   #158

All three

Decided to take all water craft we had access to out. Gale force winds we were doing 8 knots with just the Jib. So sailing was awsome. Nice to have the SIB out again and remember how crazy they can be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trifecta1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	28578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifecta2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	28579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifecta3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	28581  
Old 18 July 2007, 16:32   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Bryan, your boat looks great. What have you used on the tubes? They look so shiny and new! Are they slippery?
Stoo, I have been using a floor sealant called "Future". Same stuff used in the UK just a different name. I started by scrubbing the tubes with mild scotch bright pads and 3m fabric cleaner, then I put 2 coats of "Future" on. Very easy , just apply to clean rag and wipe on. It works really well and stays on a hell of a lot longer than the 3m uv stuff. Its also not slippery on the tubes but I made the mistake of putting it on the deck as well, looked really good but slippery as hell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pACE2-1046831reg.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	28585  
Old 18 July 2007, 17:10   #160

Thanks BB... I've never noticed the stuff, but then I don't spend a lot of time looking at floor stuff! I'll have a look next time I'm out... The toobs look like you would go zinging off them which would be an issue for me as my free-loading friends generally sit on them. Although on second thought...

www.wetspotimages.com