Old 30 May 2006, 18:35   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Codders, Codpiece, Googleprawn etc are terms of endearment for Codprawn, a hallowed and valued member of these forums who depsite not having a rib, not having ever been seen near a rib and possibly being a figment of his own imagination is happy to share his words of wisdom with the rest of us.

Garf is a different kettle of worms entirely and is the sage of all sages and receives our adulation without question and with total commitment. Amen.
Actually I DO have a RIB - and a SIB - just haven't used the RIB yet. Despite that I do have quite a bit of experience of boats in general.

As to being a figment of my own imagination that is a distinct possibility.

And the ultimate - being compared to Garfish - us fishy types should stick together!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 18:41   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
As to being a figment of my own imagination that is a distinct possibility.
Sorry for getting philisophical - but aren't we all? Or possibly we all actually a figment of someone else's imigination?
Old 31 May 2006, 08:31   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Or possibly we all actually a figment of someone else's imigination?
So the truth is out at last. None of you exist.

You are all nothing but figments of my imagination!

John
Old 31 May 2006, 10:43   #24

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
You are all nothing but figments of my imagination!

John
Thats some twisted imagination you have John!
Old 31 May 2006, 13:14   #25

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: U.S. rib market

If and when the U.S. rib market takes off any potential manufacturer is going to have to deal with all the current brands doing business in the U.S. such as Zodiac, Achilles, Novurania, and of course, Nautica who build the prettiest boats out there. Northwind, Otech, Willard and Demaree compete for the commercial/military market and I am sure I missed some. If the rib market takes off conglomerates like Genmar and of course Brunswick Group (know who they are?) will likely jump in to take a big slice of the pie. Finally, you have the Asian companies who build jet skis who can easily and efficently pump out boats of high quality, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki will step in as well if the market were to explode. It seems the rib market is more of a cottage industry in Britain, with brand loyalty as a factor, the U.S. market will be a different animal. I think a boat clearly branded as made in Britain will do well given they have the marketing and financial clout similar to say, Triumph motorcycles. I would say a British made rib that is established early on as high quality would go a long way in determining successful sales.
Old 31 May 2006, 17:00   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Fully agreee - looks like that is what Cougar and Ribcraft are doing.
Old 31 May 2006, 17:57   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla
Finally, you have the Asian companies who build jet skis who can easily and efficently pump out boats of high quality, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki will step in as well if the market were to explode.
Don't know about this.

While Yamaha and Honda do big sales in motors, and all three are pretty heavily into jetskis, they have yet to offer anything more than thrill craft in actual vessels. Yamaha had a brief foray into actual boats, I believe (more of a little jet sport boat thingie, I think) that didn't go over all that well.

I doubt that either will step up and enter a market for RIB's (certainly not before an explosion takes place, in which case you'll have a bunch of other companies ahead of them.) Too much tooling up for a fairly small market. I would suspect that they would concentrate on supplying motors for other manufacturers boats, much the same as they have done (and are doing) with hard boats.

jky
Old 31 May 2006, 20:15   #28

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
USA ribs

I have a very competitive quote from Ribcraft, USA for a 7.8 with Honda 250 4 s. FOB East coast, USA, no trailer. but fully rigged, no elecronics.
Old 01 June 2006, 03:01   #29

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Don't know about this.

While Yamaha and Honda do big sales in motors, and all three are pretty heavily into jetskis, they have yet to offer anything more than thrill craft in actual vessels. Yamaha had a brief foray into actual boats, I believe (more of a little jet sport boat thingie, I think) that didn't go over all that well.

jky
Yamaha is currently building boats 21 to 23 feet, I passed a dealership the other day which had about eight new boats all branded Yamaha. I did not think to take a closer look to see how they were powered, I do believe Yamaha is looking to expand their market share with boats as they have with engines. If history is any indicator it seems where one Japanese manufacturer has seen sales success others soon follow, this is what I based my conclusions on... It wasn't all that long ago that Yamaha did not make large outboard motors, look where they are now, things change.
Old 01 June 2006, 17:03   #30

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Yamaha

I Agree with Pathalla. I have done a large amount of research in the USA on the most popular o.b. engines and would appear that the majority would buy Yamaha 4s. if they need a large engine. The big Honda's are becoming less popular, but everone likes the Verado, but not the price. Have a friend with twin Yam. 225's on a 28 foot hard cat with 2x100 gal. tanks and after 2 years he is tickled pink with them. He frequently does 150 nm. round trips in the SOC.
Old 01 June 2006, 17:13   #31

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
I also just bought an all black Ribcraft 5.85 here in the U.S. all i get is wierd looks like im some kind of special ops unit heh. I acutaly once saw 2 boats racing, coming towards me, they passed me, i turned around, beat them both, then they stopped and just stared at me in amazment heh...
Old 01 June 2006, 20:31   #32

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: any
Make: Eurocraft
Engine: o
Ther are companies just over the US border in Canada that make some fantastic RIB`s, and fit UK made sponsons. Try looking up Liquid Metal Marine on Vancouver Island. Thier boats can be custom built to suit your every desire!
Old 02 June 2006, 10:11   #33

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
black tubes get cooked by the sun and do not last. so try to keep it out of the sun when your not in it, it'll last and stay lookin nice longer for ya.

been sellin ribs and inflatabels hear in the US for about 10yrs or so, guess got my own thoughts.
Old 02 June 2006, 11:11   #34

haha yea they sure do cook
Old 03 June 2006, 14:25   #35

Is it better to put sunscreen on the boat? (I think mithos or someone said it on the forums) Or a 303 product for sun protection?
Old 04 June 2006, 06:51   #36

Town: Tinton Falls
Make: Achillies
Engine: Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
I wouldnt go out in one,a fella said to me.(ha ha ha)
To which i replied ......

When there is a bad storm and everyone else is coming back to shore or going in to shelterd waters ,what type of boat are the coast guard going out in ?
I tried to tell him that my small 15 ft rib probably had just as much weight capacity as his 22ft hard boat and was much more sea worthy.But he still wasnt having any of it.
Just spent last weekend on the Delaware river with my kids. We camp with a fold down camper that I pull with a Ranger pick up. Unpacked the camper and then unpacked the truck. Took out the boat and started inflating it. Snapped the boat trailer together[Seitech Boat Dolly]. Hooked up the engine and rolled down the path to the boat ramp. Got all kind of looks from other campers. Could not understand all of the people asking the same type of questions about the boat.

"Is that thing safe for the river"

"I would not take my kids to far out in that thing"

The next day a spent 4 hours pulling the kids on the tube. Then people told me things like.

"what a great idea that is"

"thats better then a jet ski, you can put your whole family in it"

"can you also take that out on the ocean"

I can say for sure that I won more then a few people over that weekend.
Old 04 June 2006, 12:06   #37

the best part is when someone asks you what kind of boat you have. they're expecting to hear boston whaler or another big company, instead you say you have an inflatable. Then they look at you and say o only a dinghy, and you say nope..an inflatable...
Old 04 June 2006, 13:13   #38

Make: Osprey
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Yamaha already owns several boat company's. Cantieri Capelli is one of those. They make RIB's from 3.6m to 9m. http://www.cantiericapelli.com/ing/prod.htm

The same for Mercury who owns LodeStar, Valiant, ...
http://www.marinepower.com/products

P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Don't know about this.

I doubt that either will step up and enter a market for RIB's (certainly not before an explosion takes place, in which case you'll have a bunch of other companies ahead of them.) Too much tooling up for a fairly small market. I would suspect that they would concentrate on supplying motors for other manufacturers boats, much the same as they have done (and are doing) with hard boats.

jky
Old 09 June 2006, 15:17   #39

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
Who makes this ?
I know that Ribcraft now has a US group out here.I was looking at the Ribcraft at the NY boatshow last year,but the guy who was on their stand was a absolute DICK !! he just completely put me off.So i went a bit further and met some really nice customer friendly people on the Caribe stand.
I hope many more companies start building and selling ribs here.

RIBCRAFT USA have been in business for about six or so years, and make an excellent boat. I have personally had great experiences with all of them. Incredible customer service and individual attention. I was so shocked to hear your comment about one of them at a NYBoat show, I inquired to my sales guy, and learned that RIBCRAFT USA have not yet exhibited at a NY boat show. Perhaps you were mistaken and are thinking about another manufacturer?

I have only good things to say about RIBCRAFT USA. When you are ready for an upgrade I would highly consider contacting them. After all, they are located right in Boston.
Old 09 June 2006, 15:18   #40

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
the best part is when someone asks you what kind of boat you have. they're expecting to hear boston whaler or another big company, instead you say you have an inflatable. Then they look at you and say o only a dinghy, and you say nope..an inflatable...

Hey Choppy, it's a RIB, not an inflatable. We need more guys like you out here on the east coast educating the hard sided crowd