Old 29 May 2006, 00:19   #1

Town: New York City
Boat name: Liverbird
Make: Caribe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
RIB'S in the US

I have noticed that RIBS are becoming more and more popular over this side of the pond.I bought a new boat last year at the NY boat show and when i first went out into the water in Long Island ,Jones Beach,Fire Island area people where actually stopping me and asking stuff about 'that odd looking boat'.They actually thought it was going to burst at the slightest wave or explode any minute.When they saw the console and seats they where amazed.

I wouldnt go out in one,a fella said to me.(ha ha ha)
To which i replied ......

When there is a bad storm and everyone else is coming back to shore or going in to shelterd waters ,what type of boat are the coast guard going out in ?
I tried to tell him that my small 15 ft rib probably had just as much weight capacity as his 22ft hard boat and was much more sea worthy.But he still wasnt having any of it.

One day the US coast Guard sidled next to me in their Rib and began chatting.
We've never seen anyone else with one of these they said, while knocking on the foam filled collar on their Zodiac.
We chatted about the excellent capabilities of these boats and how they would not like to go out in any other type of boat now.I told them how popular they where back home in the UK and hey said it was only a matter of time before they got more popular.
Well in the whole of last summer i saw 2 other ribs.A small west marine thing with a couple of kids in and a beatiful 25ft Nouvarina (i think that how its spelt)
Now since the start of this summers season (about 3 weekends ago) i have seen 3 brand new ribs.4 If you count the additional one the coast guard have bought.

I would guess that before long there is going to be a explosion of Ribs over here. And not the type the fella thought from the marina last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 2.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	19553   Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 3.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	19554  
Old 29 May 2006, 05:37   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
These are made/about to be made in the US.

Old 29 May 2006, 13:16   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It is a shame the $ is so weak - otherwise British RIB makers would make a killing in the US - as it is they will have to set up over there to remain competative.

I wonder how long it will be before the Yanks start flooding our market with this new kind of boat they have just "invented"???
Old 29 May 2006, 13:23   #4

Town: New York City
Boat name: Liverbird
Make: Caribe
Engine: Yamaha 40
what is it ?

Who makes this ?
I know that Ribcraft now has a US group out here.I was looking at the Ribcraft at the NY boatshow last year,but the guy who was on their stand was a absolute DICK !! he just completely put me off.So i went a bit further and met some really nice customer friendly people on the Caribe stand.
I hope many more companies start building and selling ribs here.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:38   #5

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I have to disagree with Codders. He usually gets things bass ackwards. The weak $ is a golden opportunity for UK RIB comapanys. The weak dollar makes set up costs low, manufacturing costs are lower than in the UK, and the market is huge and still growing. One of the reasons that RIBs are not that popular with the general public is that they are expensive compared with a comparable hard boat. However the federal, state and local government safety and rescue market is huge. The only problem is if a UK company wants to take their profits back to the UK in cash. They should use their profit dollars to purchase engines etc. and ship to UK. for that market. Soon or later they will wake up. Ribcraft has already done this, however it is a somewhat long term investment. Ok Codders, we already know that the RIB was invented by a Druid.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:47   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
I have to disagree with Codders. He usually gets things bass ackwards. The weak $ is a golden opportunity for UK RIB comapanys. The weak dollar makes set up costs low, manufacturing costs are lower than in the UK, and the market is huge and still growing. One of the reasons that RIBs are not that popular with the general public is that they are expensive compared with a comparable hard boat. However the federal, state and local government safety and rescue market is huge. The only problem is if a UK company wants to take their profits back to the UK in cash. They should use their profit dollars to purchase engines etc. and ship to UK. for that market. Soon or later they will wake up. Ribcraft has already done this, however it is a somewhat long term investment. Ok Codders, we already know that the RIB was invented by a Druid.
I find disgreeing with Googleprawn is a good default option. Its far easier to start on that premise and in the rare occasion he posts something of sense one can modify ones position accordingly.

Have to say that the time is right for a far thinking UK RIB manufacturer to start up in US or Canada IMHO. (The pic btw is of a Cougar RIB). Manufacturing costs are lower than UK for sure but distribution costs are much higher. Fr'instance I'd love to build RIBS up here in NL - low costs, pool of skilled boatbuilder etc but distribution costs to the US would add $3-5k to each boat. Manufacturing in Florida or more likely New England I think would work. Closer to target market.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:16   #7

Hi Alan
The ideal manufacturing location for RIBs would be Northern Mexico (Sonora)
Close to target market and has the advantages of NAFTA. We have plans in that direction. Please feel free to PM me with any ideas. Tony
Old 29 May 2006, 15:20   #8

Did I not say a British RIB company would have to set up in the USA to remain competitive???

Building RIBs in the UK and shipping them over is a bit of a no no as the $ is so weak. It just makes British RIBs too expensive.

Some of the big boys will be able to afford to set up in the US but many of the smaller ones wont.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I find disgreeing with Googleprawn is a good default option. Its far easier to start on that premise and in the rare occasion he posts something of sense one can modify ones position accordingly.

Have to say that the time is right for a far thinking UK RIB manufacturer to start up in US or Canada IMHO. (The pic btw is of a Cougar RIB). Manufacturing costs are lower than UK for sure but distribution costs are much higher. Fr'instance I'd love to build RIBS up here in NL - low costs, pool of skilled boatbuilder etc but distribution costs to the US would add $3-5k to each boat. Manufacturing in Florida or more likely New England I think would work. Closer to target market.
Of course you are ALWAYS right.....
Old 29 May 2006, 15:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Of course you are ALWAYS right.....
Not at all, not at all. I do have the benefit of actually having owned a RIB and done a fair bit of ribbing though.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It is a shame the $ is so weak - otherwise British RIB makers would make a killing in the US - as it is they will have to set up over there to remain competative.

I wonder how long it will be before the Yanks start flooding our market with this new kind of boat they have just "invented"???
Ok, Codders please help us understand you comment. You still got the value of the $ issue bass ackwards.
Old 29 May 2006, 20:58   #12

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
There are builders on the west coast of Canada that have been building commercial ribs for the last fifteen years mostly alum and some glass.

http://www.polarisboats.com/
http://www.liquidmetalmarine.com/
http://www.titanboats.com/
http://www.zodiacmilpro.com/product/military/index.html
http://www.armstrongmarine.com/commercial/26sar.htm

Armstrong marine moved across the border to the USA a few years back
Old 29 May 2006, 23:03   #13

Quote:
Ok, Codders please help us understand you comment. You still got the value of the $ issue bass ackwards.
SIMPLE!!!

A British based RIB builder will charge say £40,000+VAT for his boat. In the US that equals to $75,000 - shipping is also very expensive TO the USA.

Obviously IF a British based RIB builder wants to relocate to the USA then he has an advantage but not all of them can or want to do that!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 07:34   #14

Town: Chula Vista, CA
Boat name: T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
I have noticed that RIBS are becoming more and more popular over this side of the pond.I bought a new boat last year at the NY boat show and when i first went out into the water in Long Island ,Jones Beach,Fire Island area people where actually stopping me and asking stuff about 'that odd looking boat'.They actually thought it was going to burst at the slightest wave or explode any minute.When they saw the console and seats they where amazed.
<snip>
I think you just haven't been looking in the right places for them. I've seen a lot of them in SoCal. These RIBs are usually white and on larger sail and power boats as tenders. Motoring out of the marina I hear a kid from a group of Lazer sail boats,"look at the size of that dingy!"
Old 30 May 2006, 08:24   #15

Town: Warsash
Make: Cougar
Engine: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
Who makes this ?
I know that Ribcraft now has a US group out here.I was looking at the Ribcraft at the NY boatshow last year,but the guy who was on their stand was a absolute DICK !! he just completely put me off.So i went a bit further and met some really nice customer friendly people on the Caribe stand.
I hope many more companies start building and selling ribs here.

The boat in picture posted by Solent Ranger is a Cougar R8, they have just started building them in America, the first boats will be on the water soon
Old 30 May 2006, 08:59   #16

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Excellent! Googleprawn - love it!
Old 30 May 2006, 16:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
Excellent! Googleprawn - love it!
Thought it may appeal to someone of your ilk.....
Old 30 May 2006, 17:12   #18

Are Codders/Cod Piece/googleprawn/druid and Garf related??. They appear to have similar personality disfuctions.
Old 30 May 2006, 17:22   #19
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
They appear to have similar personality disfuctions.
wots a disfukshun. iz itt lyke corlin misellf linnda wen mi naims reely toney

gArf
Old 30 May 2006, 17:22   #20

Quote:
Are Codders/Cod Piece/googleprawn/druid and Garf related??. They appear to have similar personality disfuctions.
Codders, Codpiece, Googleprawn etc are terms of endearment for Codprawn, a hallowed and valued member of these forums who depsite not having a rib, not having ever been seen near a rib and possibly being a figment of his own imagination is happy to share his words of wisdom with the rest of us.

Garf is a different kettle of worms entirely and is the sage of all sages and receives our adulation without question and with total commitment. Amen.