Old 09 June 2006, 15:25   #41

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
heh i am on the east coast, but if u say RIB they have no idea what ur talking about, then you say Rigid Inflatable Boat, and they say o..so its an inflatable? so i just decided to go with Its an inflatable, if u think ur hardsided boat is better try coming out in the small craft advisories with me haha
Old 09 June 2006, 15:29   #42

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla
If and when the U.S. rib market takes off any potential manufacturer is going to have to deal with all the current brands doing business in the U.S. such as Zodiac, Achilles, Novurania, and of course, Nautica who build the prettiest boats out there. Northwind, Otech, Willard and Demaree compete for the commercial/military market and I am sure I missed some. If the rib market takes off conglomerates like Genmar and of course Brunswick Group (know who they are?) will likely jump in to take a big slice of the pie. Finally, you have the Asian companies who build jet skis who can easily and efficently pump out boats of high quality, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki will step in as well if the market were to explode. It seems the rib market is more of a cottage industry in Britain, with brand loyalty as a factor, the U.S. market will be a different animal. I think a boat clearly branded as made in Britain will do well given they have the marketing and financial clout similar to say, Triumph motorcycles. I would say a British made rib that is established early on as high quality would go a long way in determining successful sales.

Interesting comments. You forgot to mention RIBCRAFTUSA located in Boston. They build US built RIBs for Military, commercial and private users throughout north and south AMerica. They compete with Zodiac, Willard, and the rest of the commercial RIB manufacturers. They are expanding real fast here in the US. And to your point on the "triumph" the design is British, and they continue to build them over in the UK as well.
Old 09 June 2006, 15:31   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
I have a very competitive quote from Ribcraft, USA for a 7.8 with Honda 250 4 s. FOB East coast, USA, no trailer. but fully rigged, no elecronics.

Limey, how would you be using the Ribcraft 7.8? Are you still considering it?

Great boat.
Old 09 June 2006, 16:22   #44

Tibs i am acutaly moored about 11 miles away from the RIBCRAFT office. Do you live around Marblehead?
Old 09 June 2006, 17:34   #45

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibs
Limey, how would you be using the Ribcraft 7.8? Are you still considering it?

Great boat.
Yes still considering. We are selling up in AZ and moving to San Carlos on SOC. Project will probably take 12 months. Use would be primarily personal fun trip but looking at some commercial: sight seeing, whale watching and visits to the Baja, beach trips and other stuff. Plans are still fluid. I find the cost of RIBs in the US too high so looking at other options. They need to be competive with hard boats.
I can buy a lightly used equivalent size hard boat for half the cost of a new RIB. I like RIBS but not at a premium of $30k. Ribcraft and others need to wise up.
Old 10 June 2006, 01:53   #46

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibs
Interesting comments. You forgot to mention RIBCRAFTUSA located in Boston. They build US built RIBs for Military, commercial and private users throughout north and south AMerica. They compete with Zodiac, Willard, and the rest of the commercial RIB manufacturers. They are expanding real fast here in the US. And to your point on the "triumph" the design is British, and they continue to build them over in the UK as well.
Have not yet had the pleasure of seeing a Ribcraft at any boat shows as of yet Tibs, look forward to seeing one firsthand, how about posting a few shots of yours if you have time?
Old 11 June 2006, 01:11   #47

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
I find the cost of RIBs in the US too high so looking at other options. They need to be competive with hard boats.
I can buy a lightly used equivalent size hard boat for half the cost of a new RIB. I like RIBS but not at a premium of $30k. Ribcraft and others need to wise up.
The problem is that the demand is too small currently, therefor there's very little used market for RIBS.
Old 11 June 2006, 02:08   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
The problem is that the demand is too small currently, therefor there's very little used market for RIBS.
Spot on. That is why I am amazed that UK manufactures are not investing. Ribcraft are making an effort, but even they do not realise that they need to get boats on the water and they are not going to do that at their current prices. Adam Moore( Ribcraft, USA) please take note. If Ribcraft or anyone else would offer a 7-8 m rib with engine and trailer, for $55K, I would buy one tomorrow. If they cannot meet that then they are going to fail.
Regards, KBO-T
Old 11 June 2006, 04:13   #49

i doubt u'll find a new 7-8m RIB wit engine and trailer for 55k USD anywhere lol
Old 11 June 2006, 14:19   #50

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Spot on. That is why I am amazed that UK manufactures are not investing. Ribcraft are making an effort, but even they do not realise that they need to get boats on the water and they are not going to do that at their current prices. Adam Moore( Ribcraft, USA) please take note. If Ribcraft or anyone else would offer a 7-8 m rib with engine and trailer, for $55K, I would buy one tomorrow. If they cannot meet that then they are going to fail.
Regards, KBO-T
There's a chicken and egg problem... You have to invest in production, and make a TREMENDOUS marketing investment to stimulate generic demand for RIBs. It's more than any one manufacturer can afford. Ribcraft spends $ advertising online and in boating pubs to drive what demand there is to their brand. I haven't noticed much meaningful advertising from ANY other brand.

With low demand and little competition, you either drop pricing DRAMATICALLY to try to stimulate demand (as you're suggesting), or maintain higher pricing to acheive profitability. Ribcraft has (rightly, IMHO), chosen the latter option. Much less risky, particularly as they are in fact spending to try to generate some demand. They've properly chosen to not try to compete with the massive hard-boat market, but to grab their share of what RIB demand there is. They're making some effort to grow overall demand over time, with their blog, press & public relations efforts. All very sensible, I think, as a marketing type person...

The trick for you, I think, is to keep your eyes open for a lightly used 2-5 year old RIB. As there isn't a ton of demand for them, they seem to either be snapped up quickly by a RIB enthusiast, or languish for months, overpriced, hopelessly looking for a buyer. Look for the latter and make a lowball offer. The used boat market is very weak right now. Or, find a boat in Europe, and ship it in, as Limeydal did. Might be your best option, with the container cost being ~$3000 USD and duty @ 1.5%.

One of these days I need to stop by Ribcraft USA... I live in the same town and I drive past regularly. My outboard mechanic is also right around the corner from them. I think they should organize, sponsor & publicize an on-the-water RIB events. Properly publicized events will would be good way to stimulate overall demand for RIBs. I think we must have 6-8 ribnetters from the NorthEast, at least 3-4 of us in Massachusetts alone.
Old 11 June 2006, 14:45   #51

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Quote:
Yes still considering. We are selling up in AZ and moving to San Carlos on SOC. Project will probably take 12 months. Use would be primarily personal fun trip but looking at some commercial: sight seeing, whale watching and visits to the Baja, beach trips and other stuff. Plans are still fluid. I find the cost of RIBs in the US too high so looking at other options. They need to be competive with hard boats.

All boats in the US are too high but there are good reasons for the premium on a well built RIB. Keep in mind the 7.8, along with all their professional boats, are being built for commercial use (abuse). The hull on a RIB has to be stronger than a conventional fiberglass boat and I would bet the manual labor that goes into constructing and installing a tube along with the cost of the material is much higher than the topsides of a conventional boat. We wouldn't dare do some the things with our conventional fiberglass boats that we do with the RIBs.

Have you considered the Ribcraft 6.5m? There's quite a price difference and the performance is very comprable to the 7.8m. If you can live with a little less room I think you will find that it will fit into you budget.

We love our 7.8 and I have offered a ride before, but if at all possible take us up on the offer as one ride, especially with some seas, will be all it takes. We went with Ribcraft because of its British heritage and I must say, those boys accross the pond really designed a great hull for handling heavy seas and the service from Ribcraft USA has been great.

Check out some pictures on our website, www.channelwatchmarine.com. You will see some in our "gallary" but keep checking back as we're working on dedicated pages for the Ribcraft.
Old 11 June 2006, 15:50   #52

Thanks for all the great input on this subject. To summarise: the market is small, at this time. The dollar has the same purchasing power in the USA as the pound does in the UK. so using the exchange rate drives things in the wrong direction ( higher prices). Also, the intial investment for UK manufactureres is high. However, watch out for the manufacturers from S. America, NZ and Australia and Canada. Check out Polaris in Vancouver.
Regards T.
Old 11 June 2006, 16:34   #53

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
DC,
think you are on the right lines about getting the public interested inRIBs first. You have to show what a ,reliable fun,adaptable and economical boat a RIb can be. Why else would people part with hard earned cash unless they see the benefits. (especially with such a wide and available market over here for hard boats.)
If you get to talk to the Ribcraft guys up there,ask if they monitor this forum? It seems they are spreading out and recently were down here visiting "channelwatch" trying to stimulate the S.California market.
I have been trying to get some interest started down here over the past 2 years with local established tour companies and just hit brick walls every time.
As soon as "inflatable" is mentioned they smile politely
I put together a complete "RIb theme tour" presentation ,while looking outside the US for interested parties. Maybe just need to send it up to Mathew at Ribcraft,to try and get his imput
Biased of course, but I think I am in the best place in the world to start this going!
cheers Dal
Old 12 June 2006, 15:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla
Have not yet had the pleasure of seeing a Ribcraft at any boat shows as of yet Tibs, look forward to seeing one firsthand, how about posting a few shots of yours if you have time?
I will post some pictures for sure. Just need to snap some recent shots! Hope to in the following weeks, now that summer is finally here!