Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 September 2013, 06:11   #1
Member
 
colcreate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
RIBase
Evinrude Etec 90 - Software?

I'm going to look at buying a used Etec 90 next week....
I know these are described as Marmite engines so please help me make my decision to buy based on facts and not hearsay.

Ideally, can anybody tell me about the Evinrude diagnostic/servicing software, would it be possible/useful to "borrow" a copy and any interconnecting leads?

I presume it can it be run off one of my laptops but what would it actually tell me?

Also if I had the serial number of the motor beforehand can I find out anything about the history before I go to view? Original supplying dealer, service history etc?

Anything common issues to look for in particular?

The motor is just within my limited cash budget, is out of factory warranty and does seem like a reasonable second hand buy.
__________________

__________________
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 06:34   #2
Member
 
Country: Austria
Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
I'm going to look at buying a used Etec 90 next week....
I know these are described as Marmite engines so please help me make my decision to buy based on facts and not hearsay.

Ideally, can anybody tell me about the Evinrude diagnostic/servicing software, would it be possible/useful to "borrow" a copy and any interconnecting leads?

I presume it can it be run off one of my laptops but what would it actually tell me?

Also if I had the serial number of the motor beforehand can I find out anything about the history before I go to view? Original supplying dealer, service history etc?

Anything common issues to look for in particular?

The motor is just within my limited cash budget, is out of factory warranty and does seem like a reasonable second hand buy.


look at Owners Message Board

all your questions are answered several times there
__________________

__________________
kind Regards,
Ferdi

http://www.hobbycaptain.at
Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 08:07   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
what year is the engine?
Is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's from a dealer, ask to see an engine report, it is easy to get with the software & can be emailed as a PDF.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 10:55   #4
Member
 
colcreate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
look at Owners Message Board

all your questions are answered several times there
Thank you for the reply, I have looked briefly on that US based site before. Trawled through the forum, followed the dead links for software downloads and found the cables offered are priced in $dollars that will take a week to get here. I watched the video's though which gave me the idea about using the software, hence the post!
I was really hoping for someone in the UK that had practical experience and could perhaps help me out with the equipment in time for next weeks viewing.
Plus any favorable replies would then be on Ribnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
what year is the engine?
Is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's from a dealer, ask to see an engine report, it is easy to get with the software & can be emailed as a PDF.
Engine is 2007 being sold by a broker and as such "dealer warranty" is unlikely, he doesn't have an engine report but would be happy for someone to connect it up to inspect.
__________________
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 14:14   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
if he is an authorised dealer he will have the software. how many hours has it got on it?
__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 15:06   #6
Member
 
colcreate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
if he is an authorised dealer he will have the software. how many hours has it got on it?
No as I understand it from the phone conversation this morning it's being sold by a marina acting as a "Broker" on behalf of a good client. As such the description is verbal and all details are to be confirmed before money changes hands.
It appears that the owner has not used it in a while and has now instructed the broker to sell it off. Hours are supposed to be low (aren't they always) and a lot less than the 300 before first service limit. I was hoping to go next week see it running on site and plug the thing into a laptop to verify. If it's OK I will probably buy it on the spot!
__________________
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2013, 01:03   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
Hi

well if it was my money I would speak to an etec dealer and ask the following:

1: how much for a report inc hours and any fault numbers
2: how much to fit as these engines need to be " set up" by a dealer ( I would not bother as it is 6 years old and not under warranty)
3: How much for the 3rd service

as you say every engine has v v low hours , only been used in the sea once if at all ......

Oh and if you do get it to even a thousand hours please post the print out on here as I still have never seen or been told of one.

Dave
__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2013, 01:55   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Jizm's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post

Oh and if you do get it to even a thousand hours please post the print out on here as I still have never seen or been told of one.

Dave
I have.

I fitted a ex sailing club 50hp to a Ribeye a couple of years ago. Had about 1100 hours on it. Never missed a beat and still going strong I believe.

Sunset sea trials
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2013, 02:57   #9
Member
 
tonto's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

well if it was my money I would speak to an etec dealer and ask the following:

1: how much for a report inc hours and any fault numbers
2: how much to fit as these engines need to be " set up" by a dealer ( I would not bother as it is 6 years old and not under warranty)
3: How much for the 3rd service

as you say every engine has v v low hours , only been used in the sea once if at all ......

Oh and if you do get it to even a thousand hours please post the print out on here as I still have never seen or been told of one.

Dave
I am guessing you dont sell etecs then?
__________________
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2013, 04:57   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
True but I dont sell new yams or suzi's either but I do see them with 1000+ hours on them (yams on a regular basis) but I have never seen an etec with a thousand+ hours on the clock.
__________________

__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.