Old 24 April 2002, 18:09   #1

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
ribeye

Can anyone give me some advice, as I am close to buying a new Ribeye 6.0 (with new Yamaha F100) for family cruising around the Solent and West Country. It is a fearful lot of cash, and I want to be sure the boat is a good choice.
My reservations are primarily around the fact that the tubes are now made of PVC and the boats are built in South Africa. Good and reasonably comfortable sea-keeping is important to me, as well as easy slip way handling for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young children).
A further consideration is resale value - Ribeye are relatively new in the market, and 'residual values' are unknown - I haven't seen a single 2nd hand one for sale. Anybody got any view on how their values will hold up?
Very interested in all comments / advice, but please be quick, as I am 'in deep' with the salesmen and have to make a call by early next week.
Old 24 April 2002, 20:11   #2

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Ribeye

With regards to Ribeye's being built in South Africa, the handling of the craft is exactly the same as the Ribs that were built in Dartmouth. I have a Dartmouth Built 5.8 Dive and a 7.2m Dive which are used for charter and RYA Courses. I was one of their Skippers for the Poole demo day earlier this year and all the RIBs handled well. (5.8m is the same as the new 6.0m)
Remember that Tornado and other Rib manufacturers do not use Hypalon but use a PVC based material. So do not be put off by this.
I cannot comment on second hand values, all that I do know is that my 7.2m was used extensively last year for RYA Instruction & charter and that it is still looking like new.
Launching/recovering a 6m Ribeye using a roller trailer can be carried out by 1 person.
Hope that this is of help.
Old 25 April 2002, 16:24   #3

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Benjamin

I spent some time on the Ribeye stand at the Boat Show this year (mainly as it was next to the Avon Stand where I was discussing my new RIB with them).

To say that these were Boat Show prepared craft the final build qaulity was a little disappointing, and the staff on the stand did not seem too welcoming or friendly either. Overall I would say this was a poor impression of an up and coming company - but this is just my humble opinion.

I have yet to come accross one of their new SA built craft on the water to see how she performs, but If it were me buying one I would want to see others around first - as you say they are not cheap - and once you have paid for it you ae stuck with it.
Old 25 April 2002, 16:39   #4

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi there

I looked at a RIBEYE at Caley Marina earlier this year. I must admit that I was surprised at what looked like a poor quality finish. It looked sturdy enough but it looked a bit 'rough around the edges', literaly. It was mainly the fibreglass work I'm talking about.

They may be good boats however. Best get the opinion of someone who owns one. As for the PVC, this has certain advantages over 'Hypalon' so do not let that disuade you.

At the SoC weekend we had a PVC tube puncture (mine) and a Hypalon tube rip (Dromedary - I think that's correct John), so it can happen to anyone.

Keith Hart
Old 25 April 2002, 17:22   #5

Keith

You have hit the nail on the head - the overall finish just wasnt quite up to the standard of build quality and finish we are used to with Ribtec, Ribcraft Avon and the like.

Perhps once they get going things will improve ....
Old 25 April 2002, 20:34   #6

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Take a look here:
http://www.ribmagazine.com/ribeye625725.htm
Old 26 April 2002, 09:04   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I am not going to argue the merits of Ribeye, but I don't like the sound of the sales pressure. Whats the rush?
Why dont you go to RIBEX 2002, talk to loads of people, check out loads of boats and then go ahead?
Old 26 April 2002, 09:21   #8

Excellent advice Brian.

With Bibex just a few weeks away it makes good sense to look at ALL packages available in one setting.
Old 26 April 2002, 09:35   #9

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Thanks to all for your diverse and stimulating replies. I am particularly reassured by the views on Hypalon vs. PVC. Thanks, too to David Hickman for taking my phone call.
The 'visit Ribex' advice is excellent - I will feel a little guilty, as that is exactly what I did last year, and I suspect I now have a reputation with all the sales teams as a 'tube kicker' and time waster! My conclusion at the end of the day was that the Ribeye was the right boat for me (especially keen on the sea-keeping quality of the hull) but that it was too expensive. At the time, too the boats were in Hypalon.
The sales pressure, in all fairness to Ribeye, comes from the fact that I am looking at an ex-demo boat which can get me on the water in 3 - 4 weeks, rather than having to wait until the end of the season for a new boat etc. etc.