Old 07 May 2007, 13:49   #111

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
'Pratt', 'Cowboy', 'Idiot', 'Crazy', it all means the same. As said by numerous contributors on this thread. Should we all phone him up ?
You are being offensive to this man on a public forum.

You do not know him and know very little about his operation apart from these photographs.

You appear to be content to sit behind a computer screen but frankly your reluctance to call this man with your accusations is quite simply cowardly.

And I don't want to hear you bleating that others haven't called him because that doesn't excuse you.

Old 07 May 2007, 14:00   #112

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I was reiterating what others had called him. Not that they should call him. Do you take offense to the word Pratt more than Cowboy or Idiot. Personally I think they are all much of a muchness. And as I said used by more than me on this subject.
I shall be visiting Lulworth later this year and hope to see this operation. I may then see why Lulworth is that much different to my own area the Solent. Where I must admit I've never seen a commercial Operator of a small boat operating without life jackets being worn by everybody. I stand to be corrected though if anyone can post a picture of such.

Old 07 May 2007, 15:45   #113

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
I may then see why Lulworth is that much different to my own area the Solent. Where I must admit I've never seen a commercial Operator of a small boat operating without life jackets being worn by everybody.
The ferry operator that goes up and down the Medina, and back and forth from the pontoons to The Folly doesn't make his passangers wear lifejackets, and tbh, I've never seen a lifejacket on the boat.. (And after 10pm, some of his passangers can hardly be described as being sober..) Neither does the operator of the ferry that goes from Warsash to Hamble..
Old 07 May 2007, 16:28   #114

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Okay I think I've dug a big enough hole for myself now. I'm going to visit Lulworth Cove and see if I've been shooting off at the wrong angle or if my worst fears are correct. I have visited Lulworth many times in the past and would have thought it very small for a large RIB to cruise round.

As for water taxi's I hope they don't do high speed turns otherwise some of those inebriated punters could well end up in the drink.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:18   #115

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 250
phone call

So, I took the liberty of calling the number that was posted to actually speak to the guy last week. [friday a.m.]

He owns the company but employs qualifies skippers to run the RIB for him.
He was not aware of this thread nor was he was not aware of RIB.Net.
They use the 3 mile coding
There are notices on the back of every seat informing about life jackets and their where abouts.
The 'Fast Rib' rides are not more than 25kts

My opinion of the guy after no more than 10mins on the phone was that of a pretty decent chap. In no way did he come over as a cowboy or money grabbing 'get 'em on and off and take the cash' operator and has run that RIB for 7 years.

He did say he'd be unlikey to respond due to not having access to the tinterweb, but he would have a look and a read through at a friends.

Personally, I think it's a shame he wont respond.....
Whilst it's always difficult to make a point in writing sound [read] the same as in speach, an open forum such as this does give EVERYONE the opportunity to be heard.

Unless there is actual hard evidence and proof that a company is operating outside of the law, it's potentially very dangerous and unfair to run a company down in an open public place such as this.

I suggest that you all give him a call and speak to the guy... hear him out,

then make you're minds up....

anyway, I have to go finish my book now... The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Old 08 May 2007, 03:24   #116

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
snip Should we all phone him up ?
and tell him what? that we read on an internet forum full of "experts" that he is a "cowboy" because he is operating within his licence conditions and within his code.

Andy
Old 08 May 2007, 05:40   #117
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo72 View Post
So, I took the liberty of calling the number that was posted to actually speak to the guy last week. [friday a.m.]

He owns the company but employs qualifies skippers to run the RIB for him.
He was not aware of this thread nor was he was not aware of RIB.Net.
They use the 3 mile coding
There are notices on the back of every seat informing about life jackets and their where abouts.
The 'Fast Rib' rides are not more than 25kts

My opinion of the guy after no more than 10mins on the phone was that of a pretty decent chap. In no way did he come over as a cowboy or money grabbing 'get 'em on and off and take the cash' operator and has run that RIB for 7 years.

He did say he'd be unlikey to respond due to not having access to the tinterweb, but he would have a look and a read through at a friends.

Personally, I think it's a shame he wont respond.....
Whilst it's always difficult to make a point in writing sound [read] the same as in speach, an open forum such as this does give EVERYONE the opportunity to be heard.

Unless there is actual hard evidence and proof that a company is operating outside of the law, it's potentially very dangerous and unfair to run a company down in an open public place such as this.

I suggest that you all give him a call and speak to the guy... hear him out,

then make you're minds up....

anyway, I have to go finish my book now... The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Milo - well done for bringing it to his attention. I don't blame him for not responding in person - I think it is very difficult to join a thread like this at a very late stage, where the "judge, jury, and executioner" have all already made up their minds without just getting shot down in flames.

If it was my business and I believed it was likely to have an effect on my business I would make a brief statement - but not enter into a discussion. Beyond that the only thing he can do it try solicitors letters and legal action etc - which is all expensive and very messy.
Old 08 May 2007, 08:47   #118
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Beyond that the only thing he can do it try solicitors letters and legal action etc - which is all expensive and very messy.
And ultimately pointless as all it would achieve would be to make him look silly. However if he wants to raise any issues with me he is welcome to do so.

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread, and I don't see anything that I believe would damage his business. A number of assumptions have been challenged, and on the whole it has turned out to be a pretty balanced and informative discussion.

John
Old 08 May 2007, 18:18   #119

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I don't see anything that I believe would damage his business...
Except him being called "a cowboy", amongst other things, whilst he operates within totally within the law?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 18:33   #120
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And ultimately pointless as all it would achieve would be to make him look silly.
Not entirely pointless - I think there is a precedent for a thread you edited/removed in response to threatened legal action over aledged defamatory comments.

...make him look silly... maybe - that depends how it is done
...make the lawyers money... certainly
...make a point... yes
...actually protect his reputation... probably not