Old 12 December 2015, 20:29   #21

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
PS.. I forgot to mention.. regardless which way you go.. take a spade..it got me moving again quite a few times..you wont regret having one
Old 12 December 2015, 20:32   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
If you get the chance....57°21'07.3"N 6°33'56.8"W. awesome
And another couple of hundred yards south two natural arches with deep water round them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0847.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	110033  
Old 12 December 2015, 21:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If you get the chance....57°21'07.3"N 6°33'56.8"W. awesome
Yup..agreed Tango.. if its the one I think it is .. you must have been in the arch when the tide was in.. it dries out at low tide. Here it is from outside.

Further along at the point is the Bust of Idrigill

Then round the corner are McLeods maidens ..

Its one of the most spectacular bits of coast that I have ever passed . It would be a brave man to go there during December in a wee SIB though..but hey .. I went round the coast all the way to Neist Point in a 12ft row boat powered by a 4hp engine.. and Im a coward ..so cant really talk.

Be aware Jeff..the spade I mentioned .. would not help you out at Idrigill point
Old 12 December 2015, 22:24   #24

I think the one in your photo is the one about half a mile up the coast from McLeod's Maidens with the waterfall ?

Name:	DSCF0895.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	110034

The two I'm thinking of are still in Loch Harlosh and the co-ordinates are for the bay with the pinnacle in the middle and the waterfall (Idrigel burn)
again still in Loch Harlosh.

Name:	DSCF0791.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	110036
One of the caves there is deep enough to get into as well.
It's the Minch though and I've always been lucky with the weather there, but it's not July
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0815.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	110035  
Old 13 December 2015, 00:09   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Launch at Liverpool & head north in your rib!

+1 for Gurnard's explanation.

in the Immortal Words of (I think) the Pet shop Boys in about 199something...."Go west!"

oh deer. the beer appears to be flowering my replies!
Old 13 December 2015, 16:04   #26

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Gurnard /tango

Thanks for the pics and advice as always gurnard you can ramble all you like 100% got my attention it's all good info cheers.
I dived idrigill point years ago its spectacular underwater I just hope I can get out in the boat.

Cheers
Old 13 December 2015, 16:13   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hit all depends where the snow falls..and no one.. not even Poly can predict where that will be
Of course I can - it will fall on the ground - otherwise its not falling! However, usually the real issue is not the stuff falling (which can be quickly ploughed out the way) but the stuff drifiting that causes the hold ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
PS.. I forgot to mention.. regardless which way you go.. take a spade..it got me moving again quite a few times..you wont regret having one
I'd also suggest if you take a flask, sleeping bag / blanket, food and then any major delay becomes just part of the adventure.
Old 13 December 2015, 16:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I dived idrigill point years ago its spectacular underwater I just hope I can get out in the boat.
If you're still into it, there's the wreck of liberty boat lying in about ten meters just this side of the little pointed island off the archway in the first photo..
Old 13 December 2015, 17:08   #29

No problem Jeff..only too happy to help.

Keep your eye on this website the night before you leave..it will tell you which way is best to go.

https://trafficscotland.org/map/inde...type=1,2,35,43

At present all ways discussed have warning of ice on the roads.. black ice was bad this morning and Loch Lomond road can be treacherous for it around the pulpit rock area. The snow is arriving but still too high to affect the routes. I took a stroll up the Ochil Hills behind my house today ..and took a photo looking west..here it is.

Ben More is the peak in the very centre ..the flatish top one to the left is Stobinian. They are at Crianlarich..the A82 is just the other side of them.. the gulf stream has little effect on the west at the Rannoch Moor area. Today there appeared to be more snow on the west than the east..but it changes hourly at this time of year...and there was a haze so I couldnt see much beyond Perth. There was no snow anywhere four days ago...just puddles everywhere.

Only other thing I can add just now is... beware of travelling in the hours of darkness. Black Ice is very common.. I only drove 10 miles today and passed three cars in the hedges at different places...due to ice. Deer running in front of cars during the dark hours are a real menace too. Twice in the past 7 years.. I have hit one as it jumped out the dark.. straight in front of the car. They do some damage too..although I confess to damaging them more.

Last Tango.. we are talking about the same archways..the one I posted is below the abandon village of Idrigill..and so is yours..its just that our photos are from different angles and the tide is in.. in your photo..but out in my photo. I hope you don’t mind..but I took a crop of your photo and then lightened the shadows so the arch rock features can be seen..here it is.

I also lightened the shadows in another photo of the arch I posted..but from an almost similar angle you took your’s from... The Arch outlines and features match perfectly. I presume your boat would have been sitting just this side of the rocks that appear at low tide..so beware.. it ain’t that deep in there .

Regardless..we all agree its a stunning coastline

Yup..I agree its the drifting stuff that causes the problem Poly..that's why the Rannoch Moor section of the A82 gets blocked..its very flat there..and the wind blows the snow straight across the road
Old 13 December 2015, 17:39   #30

"I also lightened the shadows in another photo of the arch I posted..but from an almost similar angle you took your’s from... The Arch outlines and features match perfectly. I presume your boat would have been sitting just this side of the rocks that appear at low tide..so beware.. it ain’t that deep in there" .

Yep, definitely the same place. I must be sitting over deep hole.....if you zoom in on the depth sounder it's showing 5.9 mtrs. but I didn't venture through that one. I did go through the one half a mile round the point. That was tight and involved a bit of rock dodging.
Old 13 December 2015, 18:01   #31

RIBase
Stunning if you look long enough you can fair here the water licking last tangos hull,very nice boat by the way clean line and simple in a good way what I can see of her.

Cheers
Old 13 December 2015, 18:51   #32

Yup..the waterfall ... arch and pinnacle are one of the best views ..and because they are so remote..not many see them. I need to get back to get a decent photo of them though.

If its too rough for the boat.. there are also stunning walks along the cliffs. McLeods Maiden’s look as good from the top as below.

And a walk to Talisker bay at sunset is well worth the effort..especially if you tie it in with a whisky distillery visit.

And if the winter weather is crap.. Skye still has some spectacular views

The Old man of Storr is still there ... braving the winters storms

And when the rain stops ..the clouds part ... the burns run fast and free

If you feel brave..you can clamber to the heights of the mighty Cuillin

and if the winter sun briefly illuminates the cliffs..it will made your day

Then turn around and look far out to sea.. where you may be lucky ... and see me

Yup..Skye is a magical place..even in winter..enjoy your stay Jeff..and Merry Xmas when it comes
Old 14 December 2015, 07:12   #33

RIBase
superb photos gurnard thanks for sharing them with us, we are staying a few miles from the talisker distillery will cerntanly pop in there.
we aim to get right round the island by car to take in the sights & a few trips in the boat weather permitting will be a bonus.

merry xmas & happy new year to you too.

cheers
Old 14 December 2015, 10:48   #34
RIBnet Supporter

33 Posts

...on how to traverse Tartan Central in Decembuary - and they said it was getting quiet on here!

Don't forget to take a cordless drill too...