Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 March 2006, 04:15   #101
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
If planes used so much fuel how come you can fly to Rome for about 10???
Cos the flights are subsidised. Most of the cheap flights go into secondary airports. The local authorities pay the airline to fly there - more people - boosts the local economy. Some of the French airports wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the North Europeans tripping down to buy houses, etc. Air France has been trying to stop a lot of the flights on the basis of unfair competition.

Icing on the cake for the operators is the plastic food & booze everyone buys on the flights.

Sorry you can't use low cost as an arguement against planes adding to polution.
__________________

__________________
Jeff Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 04:49   #102
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
Cos the flights are subsidised.
I don't think the flights are subsidised. The airports are subsidised so that the airline doesn't have to pay some or all of the normal landing charges.

Roycruise - was in the right ball park:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question192.htm

the green lobby even have calculators:

http://www.climatecare.org/calculators/flights_calc.cfm

so you can check how much damage you are doing.

I just checked and the impact of me driving from home to Ribnet and back this year would be identical regardless of whether I drive with 2 people in the car or fly on one of these "heavily" subsidised airlines.

Neil
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 04:58   #103
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I don't think the flights are subsidised. The airports are subsidised so that the airline doesn't have to pay some or all of the normal landing charges.

Roycruise - was in the right ball park:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question192.htm


Neil

That means my 4x4 that normaly does 25 mpg with me driving does 100 mpg when the family's on board......The same economy as a 747, Wicked!
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 05:04   #104
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
It's dragging all that extra transmission around that does the damage with the 4x4's.

That's why you have automatic freewheeling front hubs and selectable 2/4wd- the extra weight doesn't make a lot of difference . I always preferred having manual locks on front hubs (even lesss drag) but very few vehicles are left that have them.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 05:11   #105
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
It's not just fiction within the 4x4 transmission system that affects mpg but the size and type of tyres and the brick like shape most 4x4's are styled on.Put all these factors together and voila poor mpg.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 07:57   #106
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
That's why you have automatic freewheeling front hubs and selectable 2/4wd- the extra weight doesn't make a lot of difference . I always preferred having manual locks on front hubs (even lesss drag) but very few vehicles are left that have them.
Would'nt be my preference, cos when you need em, your already axle deep lol
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 09:00   #107
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
Would'nt be my preference, cos when you need em, your already axle deep lol
Funnily enough LandRover USED to use that system from 1940s until 1983 - now they use real fourwheel drive - be nice when other people catch up.....
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 10:51   #108
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Tell me about it!!!

If planes used so much fuel how come you can fly to Rome for about 10???

Just looking at a new exec jet that has hit the market. It will carry 6 people and all their luggage 1500 miles on the same amount of fuel my RIB will go 400 miles on - and at 470mph!!!
Because 200 people at 10 per person.........buys quite a lot of fuel.

Because aircraft fuel isn't taxed in the same way as the fuel us ground huggers consume is - so it is MUCH cheaper...

And because it isn't the amount of stuff jet engines emit - it's what form it's in. The theory is that when fuel is burned at altitude, a lot of the emissions are ionised (charged) so that they have a much bigger effect on greenhouse gases and ozone destruction. Apparently...

And how much fuel does your RIB use to go 400 miles? The jet aircraft that I used to work with would burn over 3,000l of AvGas in an hour. It took me a whole summer to go through that much diesel...
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 11:06   #109
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
Because 200 people at 10 per person.........buys quite a lot of fuel.

Because aircraft fuel isn't taxed in the same way as the fuel us ground huggers consume is - so it is MUCH cheaper...

And because it isn't the amount of stuff jet engines emit - it's what form it's in. The theory is that when fuel is burned at altitude, a lot of the emissions are ionised (charged) so that they have a much bigger effect on greenhouse gases and ozone destruction. Apparently...

And how much fuel does your RIB use to go 400 miles? The jet aircraft that I used to work with would burn over 3,000l of AvGas in an hour. It took me a whole summer to go through that much diesel...

A packed airbus has to be cheaper to run that a double decker bus with 2 passengers on board!!! Many bus services are subsidised and they don't pay duty on the fuel either.

My RIB will prob use about 105 gallons to go 350 miles. The new exec jet I am on about will do 1500 miles on the same amount.

I have to be honest I thought there was a prob with fuel burned at altitude until the greens started saying the contrails were even worse!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2006, 11:14   #110
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
My RIB will prob use about 105 gallons to go 350 miles. The new exec jet I am on about will do 1500 miles on the same amount.
Which jet is that? I struggle with the concept that any jet powered aircraft only uses 0.3 ltr per mile. A RIB however......now that would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I have to be honest I thought there was a prob with fuel burned at altitude until the greens started saying the contrails were even worse!!!
Erm...the contrails are the result of the fuel burn......it's water vapour and exhaust gases that leave the trail - and because they are ionised, they are bad...

Same thing really.

D...
__________________

__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.