Old 22 March 2006, 19:52   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I had a student (I work at a college) start asking why I drove an SUV. I said I'd demonstrate, and opened the back of the 4-Runner. I pulled out some of what I had in there: 4 scuba cylinders, a dive bag, a bag full of clothes, and said he could start loading it into his little Honda, but be sure to leave room, because he had to give me a ride to go hook up the boat. He wasn't too happy, but didn't say much after that.

jky
Old 22 March 2006, 19:59   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
He wasn't too happy, but didn't say much after that.

John
Old 22 March 2006, 20:03   #23

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Don't believe it, just checked and my 3.2TD LWB Shogun is rated at 251

Nasher
Old 22 March 2006, 20:28   #24

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
people say 4x4s add to danger on the roads but a lot of folks drive quite sensibly in them, myself included to a point, so in that regard they do add to road safety by slowing some drivers down a bit

funny think is that every camera i have tripped i have been in the 4x4, never tripped one in the xjr! never have worked that one out

co2 on beemer is 307+
Old 22 March 2006, 20:42   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quite frankly most(not all) people in cars AND 4x4's drive like complete cocks anyway.

IMO if the government were to make the BBC show the Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving course I went on as part of my 'on the job' HGV training by the employment agency I used to work for it'd make more difference to pollution levels than upping the road tax...

I'm getting over 32 mpg out of my 2.3 TD frontera yet someone else I know sold his as he was getting 23mpg.

Amazing what a difference it makes when you know what you're doing...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2006, 20:42   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway
This is my view but I respect the points made earlier.

4x4's do give far less mpg (and CO2 generally), use more resources to build, and more to run (eg. tyre wear) are far more damaging to other road users and pedestrians in an accident and, apart from driving position and road presence, offer little that a smaller, more efficient car could do...

The caveat to this is, if you have a genuine need to a 4x4 type car then fine buy one. Most boat owners that use trailers will go down this route, but as has been mentioned previously, how many of these 4wds are bumbling around in towns, never using 4wd or any of their capabilities. That is why people are getting funny about them. Just think how many 4wds you saw on the roads 5 years ago, against now, and it ain't like Britain is getting more and more rural....

IMHO

t

They may use more resources to build but just look how many LandRovers are STILL on the road - they have to be the ultimate in recycling!!!
Old 22 March 2006, 20:44   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Have to admit, even the Discos last longer than normal cars....most fourbies do-unless you're one of those people with a rust fetish who bought an Isuzu trooper.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2006, 21:11   #28

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I wonder how much extra CO2 the anti lobby breath out during their rantings.
Old 22 March 2006, 21:28   #29

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
I wonder how much extra CO2 the anti lobby breath out during their rantings.
As much as us...!?

I don't dispute 4WDs as a tool, day to day car, or toy. Most people on this forum have a good reason for having them, i.e a boat they have to haul in and out. That is fine. But, with regard to the Chelsea Tractors that this all stems from, I personally cannot see how driving a 2 tonne lump of metal around, will ever be more environmentally friendly than a normal car. Despite the fact that LR's are likely stay on the road (sic) longer, some people drive them sensibly etc etc.. I stand by my earlier comment that you don't want to be hit by one, especially if you are in a normal car.

At the end of the day, they are more environmentally damaging than norma cars. It doesn't work, or help the debate, to pretend they are not though. Bit like eating meat and accepting it is a dead animal... if you are happy to do it, then that's your choice. Don't be kidding yourself though.

I'm off to hug my favourite tree now...

;-)

t
Old 22 March 2006, 21:48   #30

Quote:
As much as us...!?

At the end of the day, they are more environmentally damaging than norma cars. It doesn't work, or help the debate, to pretend they are not though. Bit like eating meat and accepting it is a dead animal... if you are happy to do it, then that's your choice. Don't be kidding yourself though.

I'm off to hug my favourite tree now...

;-)

t
Freelander diesel versus a BMW 530??? Don't think so somehow!!!

Also people assume that big engines are worse than small ones - not always the case - a subaru 2lL uses far more fuel than a TVR 4L - not on paper but in real life!!!
Old 22 March 2006, 21:52   #31

Town: York
Boat name: Hi-Flyer
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Suzuki
Must agree with Codders there.

Some of the Saab mid size engines if placed some cities will actually output cleaner air than they took in. Engine size does not matter.
Old 22 March 2006, 21:53   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Bit like eating meat and accepting it is a dead animal... if you are happy to do it, then that's your choice. Don't be kidding yourself though.
Meat is a dead animal - or am I missing something?
Old 22 March 2006, 21:59   #33

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Quote:
At the end of the day, they are more environmentally damaging than norma cars.
t
Yer right, define a "normal" car
Old 22 March 2006, 21:59   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've never understood why road tax was graduated according to engine size/CO2 anyway... (from an environmental standpoint).

...we already pay a significant tax on road fuel, which if you drive more costs you more. Similarly if you chose to drive a fuel inefficient vehicle it costs you more. And the more CO2 you produce the more it costs you. All direct correlations to the amount of fuel you consume and therefore the amount of tax you pay.

The cost difference (and tax revenue generated) is much more significant on fuel costs than on road tax.
Old 22 March 2006, 22:01   #35
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Freelander diesel versus a BMW 530??? Don't think so somehow!!!

Also people assume that big engines are worse than small ones - not always the case - a subaru 2lL uses far more fuel than a TVR 4L - not on paper but in real life!!!
Oh dear Cod I think you have gone off the rails, when you say a Subaru 2L I hope you are referring to the Impreza turbo. Similarly, freelander diesel versus a petrol 530 maybe, but thats not a fair comparison, freelander diesel vs 530diesel or 520/525 diesel is a fairer test and I would think the Beemer would kick out less C02. Auto boxes also bump up the C02's.
Old 22 March 2006, 22:21   #36

Quote:
... I stand by my earlier comment that you don't want to be hit by one, especially if you are in a normal car.
Fine, but I don't want to be hit by a 'normal' car either. I've been driving for 39 years and I've never run into another vehicle but I have been run into by other vehicles on 5 occasions that I can recall. Fortunately, I have always been in a larger car and, since none of the occupants of my vehicles have been damaged in these accidents, I consider them to be safe. Do you suggest I buy and drive a smaller vehicle and risk damage or even death? It sounds a bit dramatic but that is a reality. I presently drive a 4x4 and, bar one, at 35mpg motorway cruising, it is the most frugal vehicle I've owned. For me, as well as the safety issue, it is a comfortable vehicle and, consequently, limits fatigue, gives me a good view of the road, open or urban, covers the miles effortlessly and it is a pleasure to drive.

Quote:
...At the end of the day, they are more environmentally damaging than norma cars.
I presume you've got data to support that statement.
Old 22 March 2006, 22:22   #37

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Meat is a dead animal - or am I missing something?
I knew I should never had started this

The point I was trying to make, badly I know, is that you get people that eat meat but don't wanna acknowledge that it was an living animal. Bit like veggies wearing leather shoes etc..

There is a point here really, 4wds are not as (generally) as efficient as a bulk standard normal saloon or hatchback car. And there a load of other compromises associated with them. I was trying to say acknowledge that, and if you are happy with it carry on. But, don't get into lots of little comparisons with individual makes. Generally, 4WDS & SUV's use loadsa fuel, resources etc..and 99.999% of them are not used for what they are designed for. If that doesn't seem slightly wasteful then, I don't know what is.

If you've got one and used it in anger fair play, I don't deny they are fun (I did 28K miles per annum in a 110 defender pick up for my first 4 years at work). But I rarely saw 20mpg and frequently less.

Interesting debate though considering none of these float..

t
Old 22 March 2006, 22:29   #38

But you can't even say "generally" - that's the argument Greenpeace etc are using.

What is a 4x4 anyway? Most of the Jap stuff is part time 4wd - it is only in RWD on the road!!!

Freelanders and CRVs etc are not real 4x4s in my opinion - they are CARS - alright maybe they have drive to other wheels at times but they weigh the same as cars - they drive like cars - and they offroad like cars!!!
Old 22 March 2006, 22:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Yes, but unfortunately the fact of the matter is that 98% of them tow nothing, never go off-road...
Why is that unfortunate?
Quote:
..and cause chaos in town centres and outside schools, particularly if driven by women.
Do they?
Quote:
They are also frequently driven at slow speeds on B-roads because they handle like stuck pigs and generally get in the way of everyone else who can't see past them to overtake.
What can I say without insulting you?
Quote:
Much as I adore my Range Rover I can nevertheless totally understand why they irritate so many other people.
I can't. I appears to be paranoia to me.
Old 22 March 2006, 22:31   #40

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
But you can't even say "generally" - that's the argument Greenpeace etc are using.

What is a 4x4 anyway? Most of the Jap stuff is part time 4wd - it is only in RWD on the road!!!

Freelanders and CRVs etc are not real 4x4s in my opinion - they are CARS - alright maybe they have drive to other wheels at times but they weigh the same as cars - they drive like cars - and they offroad like cars!!!