Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Poster for the Event - Please circulate

Thanks

S.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stirling cruise 2012 - low res.pdf (125.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 05 May 2012, 22:13   #62

Town: Newcastleton
Boat name: GLENNA
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Hi,
Our SR 4M will not be ready in time as I have found that I need to replace the transom and the front half of the floor, and being disabled I can only work on it when my pain levels allow (not very often at the moment). We will be bringing our Shetland Family Four up instead as we do not want to miis this trip.
If anyone wants a lift up river and back we could do with some help launching and retreiving the "Angela G". Let me know in advance so that I can put the spare lifejackets onboard.
Old 05 May 2012, 22:15   #63

Town: Kinross
Boat name: Spindrift
Make: Zodiac Futura FR Mk2
Engine: 20hp two stroke Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ROB20 View Post
If anyone wants a lift up river and back we could do with some help launching and retreiving the "Angela G". Let me know in advance so that I can put the spare lifejackets onboard.
Where will you be launching from?
Old 05 May 2012, 22:27   #64

Hi,
We will be launching at the marina by the Forth bridge.
Old 05 May 2012, 23:35   #65
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Ok - since this is definitely going ahead unless bad weather - proposal is to launch at port Edgar and head up and meet the board coming out Thr canal system.

I need numbers, for reception at Stirling and number if boats.

Looks like I need to go a list lol

can you let me know if your going or not.

regards

Scott
Old 06 May 2012, 21:11   #66
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Scott - is there a definite plan? e.g. Sat or Sun... Planned departure / arrival time etc..
Old 06 May 2012, 21:36   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Ok - since this is definitely going ahead unless bad weather - proposal is to launch at port Edgar and head up and meet the board coming out Thr canal system.

I need numbers, for reception at Stirling and number if boats.

Looks like I need to go a list lol

can you let me know if your going or not.

regards

Scott
Hi,
Weather permitting, my wife and I will bring the boat up on the friday with the motorhome and park up by port Edgar ready for the saturday.
Do you know what time you hope to get underway from port Edgar on the sat morning ?
Old 07 May 2012, 00:02   #68
SPR

yes - we the canal dude will be leaving between 11 & 2 pm - heading for Stirling for 4pm beating if retreat / reception on 430 , we then leaving on Sunday on to return.

So need to know who I'd going?
who I'd planning to stay over night at Stirling? Rowing club has offered hall to "camp" in...

Clydeoutboards has offered to provide "safety" cover

regards
Old 07 May 2012, 00:17   #69

We will be staying overnight and sleeping "onboard" as we may not be able to get back downstream when the tide is out. On fresh water we need a minimum of 4ft to navigate with any degree of safety.
Old 08 May 2012, 11:17   #70

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I'll be there Saturday, but can't be sure yet whether I can make Sunday or not, so I may have to make it a one day voyage. Would a Saturday rescue assist on the way upriver be any use if I can't stay for Sunday?

If I can do the overnight I won't be needing a "campsite" if that helps the planning.

I do have to ask as high water at Stirling is likely going to be around the 14:00 mark (that's an estimate - before anyone moans at me for going aground!! ) and it isn' a full spring tide afternoon - there may be an argument for an earlier departure? - It's 30 odd miles from PE to the Rowing Club, of which only the first 13 or so are "sensibly" deep.....
Old 08 May 2012, 12:16   #71

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
yes - we the canal dude will be leaving between 11 & 2 pm - heading for Stirling for 4pm beating if retreat / reception on 430 , we then leaving on Sunday on to return.

So need to know who I'd going?
who I'd planning to stay over night at Stirling? Rowing club has offered hall to "camp" in...

Clydeoutboards has offered to provide "safety" cover

regards
I will definitely be coming on the rib with 5 others but I am concerned at the tide times for the flotilla. High tide is at 12.31 for port edgar so no issues launching but late afternoon will be hairy for large boats going to stirling. I also didn't realise we were overnighting so what security has been arranged for the ribbers. I love my boat but not enough to sleep on her.
I would be happy to return back to PE on saturday. How many others are planning a launch from PE?
Colin
Old 08 May 2012, 14:00   #72

Colin,

12:31 - have you converted to summertime? I read it as 13:30 on the Elie club's online tide tables which appear to be already converted? Either way, give or take an hour I think we are thinking along the same lines.....

I may not have typed that too clearly. At the mo I can make it on Sat, and unless I can get Sunday too, I will also be planning a return trip on Sat evening.
Old 08 May 2012, 14:13   #73

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Colin,

12:31 - have you converted to summertime? I read it as 13:30 on the Elie club's online tide tables which appear to be already converted? Either way, give or take an hour I think we are thinking along the same lines.....

I may not have typed that too clearly. At the mo I can make it on Sat, and unless I can get Sunday too, I will also be planning a return trip on Sat evening.
You're right I forgot about adding an hour...doh!
We can chum back down together. Are you setting off from ellie or PE? I am happy to assist if anyone needs help with launching as I will bring the 100m rope required!
Colin
Old 08 May 2012, 15:30   #74

Plan was PE -I just know Elie post the Fort tide tables in much the same way as Puffin do the Oban ones!

100m? Will that be enough?
Old 08 May 2012, 18:39   #75
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
I would also launch at port edgar but low water is 07.02 bst and high water is 13.27 bst then low water 19.37 bst so if taking out at P E I think would need to be earlier than say 18.30 I think I would launch say 10.00 or 11.00 and head up for high tide in stirling a say 14.00 then if heading back down on the sat head 16.00 at the lastest,

Kev
Old 08 May 2012, 20:34   #76
awr

Town: central scotland
Boat name: bathtub
Make: northcraft
Engine: mariner 90, 4stroke
Hi Guys,we have followed this post from the start and would like a timetable of the weekend as we are unable to overnight in rib and would not be leaving it at stirling overnight,so we may do Saturday only with a launch and recover at port edgar (1xrib+2adults)many thanks,Alan
Old 08 May 2012, 21:30   #77

OK, I have now confirmed I can't do Sunday

If the tide is going to be PITA low, dare I suggest (fuel & "need to get home" permitting) is there an argunent for a diversion to somewhere with a decent chip / curry / whatever food we are in the mood for shop, thus letting the tide come in a bit further?

I have just looked at the charts, and as the tide will be out most harbours will likely become inaccessable, so I guess we could use the pier under the rail bridge & hit the pub / Beefeater / whatever it is there, and as we'll all be "appropriately dressed" could sit outside & keep an eye on the boats! I have a vague memory of a chip shop in North Queensferry, but no idea of the quality...

Alternatively we all bring sandwiches & eat them in company on a random mudbank 'till the water comes back! Shot in the dark. I donlt suppose anyone has one of these in their locker?
Angling Technics Baitboats - Our Brochure
Old 09 May 2012, 11:10   #78

Sonar logging?

It occurred to me as I was chewing my cornflakes this morning that some sounders will let you record the sonar log.

(Admin - feel free to separate this into another thread as it may "turn techy" and deviate from the cruise itself)

I am throwing this out to the ribnet massive as I have my plotter set to simply show me the depth overlaid as a big number on the chart, so I will need to investigate further unless someone knows this feature inside out & can give chapter & verse?

I had a quick look at the manual for mine, and it appears to allow you to record the sonar trace on the SD card for later playback. Assuming I can persuade it to do this and relate it to position, it strikes me that as loads of boats will be doing the trip, if we have a lot of position - time- depth data then a reasonable guess at the current shape of the river bed could be achieved....

It isn't a huge leap of insanity to assume that if I can record pretty pictures of fish, someone with a side scan might be able to record the whole river bed.......

So, does anyone know the limitations of the Lowrance depth logging feature? (it's a 1 paragraph "by the way, did you know...." in the manual) and on the heady assumption that we manage to record all this data, where is the best place to send it?
Old 09 May 2012, 11:59   #79
SPR

hi all,

There will be people sleeping in the canal boats, where the ribs will be moored to in the middle of the river.

regard

I go through this thread later and compile list.

regards
Old 09 May 2012, 15:49   #80

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
OK, I have now confirmed I can't do Sunday

If the tide is going to be PITA low, dare I suggest (fuel & "need to get home" permitting) is there an argunent for a diversion to somewhere with a decent chip / curry / whatever food we are in the mood for shop, thus letting the tide come in a bit further?

I have just looked at the charts, and as the tide will be out most harbours will likely become inaccessable, so I guess we could use the pier under the rail bridge & hit the pub / Beefeater / whatever it is there, and as we'll all be "appropriately dressed" could sit outside & keep an eye on the boats! I have a vague memory of a chip shop in North Queensferry, but no idea of the quality...

Alternatively we all bring sandwiches & eat them in company on a random mudbank 'till the water comes back! Shot in the dark. I donlt suppose anyone has one of these in their locker?
Angling Technics Baitboats - Our Brochure
I'm up for a stop but the worry for me is the recovery at PE in the evening. I once recovered right on the edge of the slipway at low tide and the trailer was pointing skyward as I couldnt go any further out. Scary !
I would like 2m above datum so back for 19.00 ish. 10.00 start is looking good.
We can all launch together an help each other. It's not that bad!