Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 June 2016, 17:29   #131
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
PM inbound

I assume there are no parking restrictions or any admin restrictions shoreside we should worry about?
You should be able to find some parking relatively close to the public slipways - especially at that time before most of the weegies have woken up and invaded for the day!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2016, 17:38   #132
Member
 
Stigomery's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 407
OK cool...

Would i be right in assuming Avon Skin So Soft may be required? Still nursing 30+ bites from a battalion of soft southern lakeland midges from last week...
__________________

__________________
Stigomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2016, 17:44   #133
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
OK cool...

Would i be right in assuming Avon Skin So Soft may be required? Still nursing 30+ bites from a battalion of soft southern lakeland midges from last week...
It won't do any harm to pack it (Gurnard suggests they've been vicious up in the NW), but there is a reasonably breeze forecast and the midge forecast is as low as it goes in the Firth of Clyde this weekend.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2016, 04:32   #134
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Infinity
Make: Brig Falcon 570HL
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury F115 PRO XS
MMSI: 235113147
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Sadly...I need to pull out...boat is having a new engine fitted and it's not looking likely that it will be back in the water for Saturday
__________________
Abram D RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2016, 19:11   #135
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Highland
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 25hp
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Just noticed I was still on the roll call on the 6th June.
Sorry but myself and my son won't be able to attending this year. Life has got in the way!
I had sent a message earlier Neil! Just a short note so you don't look for me.
Enjoy the trip Everyone and I'll look out for photos!

Regards
Mark ( marcradan )
__________________
marcradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 03:20   #136
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Marc, thanks you are absolutely right, the thread is quite long and unwieldy, the moderators should do a better job at cleaning it up! ;-) Abram no worries, hopefully see you around some time with your extra horses...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 05:49   #137
Member
 
Stigomery's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 407
What's with the Largs weather, every time I check it's changed wind speed and direction by at least 90 degrees and evolved from scattered clouds to rain... which I'm sure means it will be no wind, sunny and 25 degrees by 9am Sat...
__________________
Stigomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 06:27   #138
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
What's with the Largs weather, every time I check it's changed wind speed and direction by at least 90 degrees and evolved from scattered clouds to rain...
Welcome to Scotland! Unfortunately accurately predicting weather here is hard more than about 72 hrs in advance. Sometimes its obvious - there is high pressure and everything is stable, but when fronts are moving around predicting exactly where and when that lump of air will be in 4 or 5 days time is hard. The good news is even the worst forecasts I've seen are not bad enough to put me off. A brief Gurnard and I discussion earlier this week was leaning towards camping in Loch Fyne* on Sat night, but I expect it will be tomorrow afternoon before we feel confident enough to say where. As always a final decision will depend on what we see on the day.

* potentially this might be more miles than people planned - but there is on water fuel available at Portavadie so I hope that is good news rather than a problem. Those of us with trailers are trying to delay recovery until the tide is a bit further in - so mid rather than early afternoon!

Quote:
which I'm sure means it will be no wind, sunny and 25 degrees by 9am Sat...
I could live with that! Although its Scotland so it could be that and snowing by tea time!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 08:49   #139
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
I've been asked to clarify where we are planning to launch.

Its a while since I've been to Largs, so perhaps someone with recent knowledge will chip in. There are as I recall 3 options:

(i) The lifeboat slipway (towards the North of the town). It should be usable until about 0930 ish. Beware it has a drop at the end of the concrete. Obviously don't block the side that is painted with yellow box junction for the lifeboat! I don't know what parking will be like, but at the time of the morning shouldn't be too bad. You'll not be able to recover here until after 2pm on Sunday.

(ii) Public slipway just North of the marina (next to Sailing Club) - this should be fine for those of you on transom wheels I expect. It is right off a big car park so should have no problems parking. if you have a "big" trailer, its a narrow slip onto relatively soft sand, so may not be ideal; there are conflicting reports about how much of the tide it is useful for. I expect it is fine till 0900.

(iii) The marina slipway (Largs Yacht Haven) is usable at all states of tide, but of course comes with a fee.

As far as I know the Calmac slip is not permitted.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2016, 14:32   #140
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 813
I'm afraid I'm going go have to bail out on this trip.
I've been nursing a neck injury for some weeks.
It hasn't got any better so I'm not willing to risk making things worse by getting battered around in my Sib.
If it was guaranteed to be mirror calm and glorious sunshine I would stock up on the pain killers and tag along.
Anyhow i hope everyonr enjoys their weekend.
I look forward to seeing the pics and reading Gurnard's interpretation.
__________________

__________________
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.