Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 January 2016, 18:39   #21
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

RIB...SIB...JETSKI....KYAK..or TARDIS..
Surly it's a matter of conduct and (to a lesser extent) numbers that maters....???
Or are you in danger of becoming ...."SIBist"???

Hi Maximus..no..I genuinely donít mind who comes..however I am very careful about wild camping and know our access laws inside out.

Sometimes..landowners try to pull the wool over my eyes ..so I always carry a copy with me.

Here is a quote

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner's permission. Leave no trace by:

From

Camping | Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Sadly..we have already lost the access rights to wild camp around Loch Lomond..yup. due not only to boat campers..but also fishermen..and folks just looking for somewhere to have a party. ..making noise and leaving a mess.

Camping crackdown approved by Loch Lomond park board - BBC News

I do not wish to be involved in a party that will cause local residents grief and may eventually cause others to loose our hard fought access laws...whether that is Sibs Ribs ..or whatever ... I hope all can appreciate that as Im a regular wild camper in the area...as are some of my friends. Im certain Poly wont want us in bother with an angry landowner either ..
__________________

__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 19:43   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 873
I've found that when wild camping around Scotland touring on my motorbike groups of up to 6 are generally acceptable.
When going with guys from work and there is more than 6 we tend to split in to smaller groups - even when going to campsites.
A large gathering of guys and noisy engines tend to strike fear into the heart of the locals.
No doubt wild camping won't be up everybody's street so probably manage a larger group out on the water with some preferring to return to mainland for a more lavish form of accommodation.
__________________

__________________
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 20:07   #23
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I've found that when wild camping around Scotland touring on my motorbike groups of up to 6 are generally acceptable.
When going with guys from work and there is more than 6 we tend to split in to smaller groups - even when going to campsites.
A large gathering of guys and noisy engines tend to strike fear into the heart of the locals.
No doubt wild camping won't be up everybody's street so probably manage a larger group out on the water with some preferring to return to mainland for a more lavish form of accommodation.
Agree Kaman..problem is..the Law is not clear what a small lightweight group is. Folk that are not keen on their land being used..will argue even six is too much..others dont bother..as long as you are not noisy or making a mess.

I do know the people of Millport will "stone you to death" if even a small party of two or three try to camp there..so its a no no for me at any time.

Bute folks..are very proud of their island..and rightly so.. I cant say for sure..but I think a group of nine or ten boats would annoy them..any you will be noticed ... as mentioned..its quite a well populated island.

I know other places where its less likely to cause agro..but Im not prepared to mention them on line..for hopefully ... obvious reasons.

Also ..a big group of fast boats going through the narrow Kyles ..it might be frowned upon too ? .. I believe it is a no wake zone for quite a distance..but hey..anyone who knows the area will know that..and may well know it better and say from experience ..its ok for twenty boats to go through there in convoy at 15knots ? I dont have that experience as I just go through it alone.

Its one of the problems with the popular Clyde..compared to more remote Easdale area..but Im looking forward to it..and only highlighting issues that may or may not be correct. Its not my shout either..Im just offering my thoughts. I honestly love big parties
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 20:30   #24
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
larger group out on the water with some preferring to return to mainland for a more lavish form of accommodation.
Yup..but that has its problems too..but not for me as I will be wild camping.

What problems you may ask ?

Ok..you have booked into a B&B in Tighnabruaich..Its a busy spot..so pre booked .. we set off from Largs..blows up..so we turn back..its a long drive to your accommodation. Hey..we might even have to cancel because of weather.. thats why SIBs and camping go well together.. you can be very flexible with the weather and conditions.

I guess have little more to add to my defence M'Lud ..so will leave the thread for the moment
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 20:39   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
If I don't go for the whole sib it is the weekend they hold the Round Bute sailing race. It shouldn't get in your way too much,
Ah! Missed that one on my search, I checked various other events. However I think it is quite nice to watch the wafi's in the kyle narrows. Do you have a link to the sailing instructions etc, its probably better for their blood pressure if we avoid being at a key mark at the critical time.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 20:48   #26
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,537
We will be aiming to avoid upsetting anyone and probably camping out of sight of others. If we get too many boats we will split up...

There's nothing to stop a group of ribs organising their own trip any time, or even at the same time. They'll be more flexible on route and weather etc.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 21:05   #27
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I thought it was so you could show off what a hard boat could do and convince all these guys with there overgrown innertubes with an engine strapped to the back to switch to poly-boats? This year has been the first year I've seen them discussed in ernest since your marketing trip...
You've misunderstood what sib gathering is like. Nobody is promoting anything or bothered what craft you turn up in - so long as you have the same ethos.

Personally I've no great interest in promoting RBBs over other vessels as each have their pros and cons but will add thoughts if asked.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 11:03   #28
Member
 
Paul_S's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ah! Missed that one on my search, I checked various other events. However I think it is quite nice to watch the wafi's in the kyle narrows. Do you have a link to the sailing instructions etc, its probably better for their blood pressure if we avoid being at a key mark at the critical time.
Easily missed as they haven't released the date yet. Will post up when the flyer is done. Won't know too much till the day of the race as they don't even decide which way round they are going till race day.
__________________
Quicksilver Activ 705
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 11:15   #29
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
Easily missed as they haven't released the date yet.
In that case, the SIB gathering has dibs. WAFIs be warned!
__________________
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 17:21   #30
Member
 
Paul_S's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Personally I've no great interest in promoting RBBs over other vessels as each have their pros and cons but will add thoughts if asked.
I have just bought a Pioner 12 rigid boat as I need a different tender to get from my boathouse out to my mooring. I do have a sib, but it is so rocky with some pretty sharp rocks that I always feel I am going to ruin the sib, so wanted something that was a bit more resilient. Just wondered how it will go with a 5hp on it.
__________________
Quicksilver Activ 705
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 19:36   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
I have just bought a Pioner 12 rigid boat as I need a different tender to get from my boathouse out to my mooring. I do have a sib, but it is so rocky with some pretty sharp rocks that I always feel I am going to ruin the sib, so wanted something that was a bit more resilient. Just wondered how it will go with a 5hp on it.
Slowly?
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 20:14   #32
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Slowly?


Hi Paul..Im not sure of the Pioner12 ..but max HP is 5HP ..no mention if it planes on the web site.

Pioner 10..is a displacement boat it states that on the website ..max HP is 5 too

Pioner 13 is planing hull and Max HP is 15. It states ..easily planes

Vids on utube show Pioner 12 at displacement speeds
Vids on Utube show Pioner 13 planing

Based on that I suspect its a displacement boat and my 12ft displacement boat has a 4hp.. and goes 4-5 knots. Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..so suspect it will have similar properties to my Highlander Family Fisherman 12ft. If I put a 6hp on my displacement.. all that happens is the sea gets churned up more at the wake..and its bow rises higher..but speed stays the same.

Of course..if it planes..it a different kettle of fish..but I can find no reference to that boat planing ? Did you ask if it planes when you got it ?
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 21:03   #33
Member
 
Paul_S's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post


Hi Paul..Im not sure of the Pioner12 ..but max HP is 5HP ..no mention if it planes on the web site.

Pioner 10..is a displacement boat it states that on the website ..max HP is 5 too

Pioner 13 is planing hull and Max HP is 15. It states ..easily planes

Vids on utube show Pioner 12 at displacement speeds
Vids on Utube show Pioner 13 planing

Based on that I suspect its a displacement boat and my 12ft displacement boat has a 4hp.. and goes 4-5 knots. Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..so suspect it will have similar properties to my Highlander Family Fisherman 12ft. If I put a 6hp on my displacement.. all that happens is the sea gets churned up more at the wake..and its bow rises higher..but speed stays the same.

Of course..if it planes..it a different kettle of fish..but I can find no reference to that boat planing ? Did you ask if it planes when you got it ?
Not sure, I just bought it off the sailing club. They were donated it by someone. I wanted a tender with a wheel on the bottom that could take a bit of a licking from the pretty sharp rocks. I do have transom wheels on the sib, but it is a bit iffy getting it through the small channel then into the little boathouse.

__________________
Quicksilver Activ 705
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 22:33   #34
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Hey ..I have passed that spot a few times Paul.. promise we wont wild camp near you.. and hope to meet you at the outing
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 09:50   #35
Member
 
Paul_S's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hey ..I have passed that spot a few times Paul.. promise we wont wild camp near you.. and hope to meet you at the outing
Haha, you can camp near me I don't mind....we had a few camp in front of my house last year. If you guys have any problems or need anything you are welcome to use the boathouse and/or moorings and I can run you into town for petrol etc.

Next time you are boating past Donnie, please do stop and say hi. Happy to share a single malt or 3 with you.
__________________
Quicksilver Activ 705
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:50   #36
Member
 
Last Tango's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
:


Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..
max disp speed (knots) = 1.4 X square root of the waterline length (in feet).
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 14:08   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,245
RIBase
bit early for me to comitt but at what size party will be the the limit for future refrence i hear all the concerns voiced and agree, not done the area so have no real input but fancy having a look, been to portavardie on a site visit some time ago senery stunning on the way up sea like a mirror.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 15:52   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
bit early for me to comitt but at what size party will be the the limit for future refrence i hear all the concerns voiced and agree, not done the area so have no real input but fancy having a look, been to portavardie on a site visit some time ago senery stunning on the way up sea like a mirror.
Jeff - don't worry commit when you can (I'll count that as a maybe at the moment). We had about half a dozens folk last year. If we double that we might want to talk about splitting our selves into a couple of "packs" but that will probably happen naturally anyway based on engine/boat size or preferred accommodation etc.

You might find portavadie has changed a bit since you were last there - last time I went it looked like a former Soviet Ghost town (there's some interesting modern history there which no doubt Gurnard will transform into an enthrawling installment in the trip report!). Either someone is very good with photoshop or the marina is a case study in wasteland transformation!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 16:00   #39
Member
 
Paul_S's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Jeff - don't worry commit when you can (I'll count that as a maybe at the moment). We had about half a dozens folk last year. If we double that we might want to talk about splitting our selves into a couple of "packs" but that will probably happen naturally anyway based on engine/boat size or preferred accommodation etc.

You might find portavadie has changed a bit since you were last there - last time I went it looked like a former Soviet Ghost town (there's some interesting modern history there which no doubt Gurnard will transform into an enthrawling installment in the trip report!). Either someone is very good with photoshop or the marina is a case study in wasteland transformation!
Marina is really nice now, here is a pic from the summer.

__________________
Quicksilver Activ 705
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 17:22   #40
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,600
Hey.. I hope you can come Jeff ..would be great to meet you..and I will happily share a yarn or three about the place.

What I donít know.. I can assure you..I will soon make up.

There are some really interesting places to see along the route .. and a must see for me is the old Lighthouse on Little Cumbrae..it stands on top of the sea cliffs. Like Belnahua .. It is from a time gone by .. and sadly .. a forgotten relic falling into decay. I want to get some photo of it for my own records.



You can see more photos of it here on my brothers blog..where I borrowed the attached photo from.

Sea kayaking with seakayakphoto.com: The further decay of the Little Cumbrae lighthouse, nobody cares.

That is only one of many interesting sites to see..there are quite a few others..so if that kind of thing interests you..get your name down guys ..

SIBS and small boats first.. (we are the women and children after all) .. then the men and large boats ... once numbers are sorted.
__________________

__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.