Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 April 2013, 17:39   #81
Member
 
Portnahaven's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The crossing from Cushendall to Port Askaig is approx 47Nm, the last bit well sheltered. I would expect a trip duration of around 2.5 hours or less. Can anyone tell us what's happening tidewise in the North Channel that afternoon - maybe we can pick a good time to leave at? On that note - how flexible is everyone on the Friday? Maybe all post your earliest possible departure time and we'll work up a plan.

As previously stated, there is Petrol and Automotive Diesel on pump in Port Askaig. You will need cans to transfer.

Feel free to PM me to discuss your arrangements/requirements.
Port Askaig it is then.
Any time suits me on Friday.
Low Water in channel is 13.30 - H.W. 19.55 (3.2m)
__________________

__________________
Portnahaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 18:03   #82
Member
 
jumpinjack's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 409
Port Askaig fine with me. I'll follow the crowd!

Had planned on camping - as it seems all my funds will be going in the fuel tank

Departure time, would say it would be 1500-1530 by the time I get to cushendahl? [i working until 1230]

At the moment it's me +1 crew
__________________

__________________
jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 19:18   #83
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Can anyone tell us what's happening tidewise in the North Channel that afternoon
Ask and you shall receive oh Masterful one.

This tidal atlas diagram shows the flow @ approx 1630 on Fri 2th May and as it is neaps - the rate will be 1.2 knots approx SE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tidal Atlas.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	78880

Also
@ 1530 1.3 knots approx SE
@ 1730 0.8 knots approx SE

All of which is nay bother which leaves our departure time to suit the flotilla.

Well done on the spade work on the accomodation

I would be happy to go for the single room in Port Askaig if it was available

If all goes according to plan I hope to be up in Cushendall early morning so flexible on ETD.
__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 11:32   #84
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Accommodation

My contact at the hotel is not available today - so hold fire on trying to make bookings until I get her organised.

Thanks for the tidal data guys - looks nice and flexible.
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 13:53   #85
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
My contact at the hotel is not available today - so hold fire on trying to make bookings until I get her organised.

Thanks for the tidal data guys - looks nice and flexible.
Your usual charm offensive didn't work she's done a runner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 15:42   #86
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Problem in Port Askaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Your usual charm offensive didn't work she's done a runner!!
Worse actually. She managed to get the date mixed up, she thought that I wanted the Saturday. When I emailed her the confirmation this morning, she told me that she had NO ROOMS on Friday 3. I'm very disappointed and can only apologise to you all. So far as I can see, there isn't a stock of accommodation in either port sufficient for our needs.

Having calmed down a touch, I can now only suggest two plans:

Plan 1. We depart Cushendall in good time on Friday (under way 1200-1300 latest) and do what we did the last two years - cruise to Easdale with a break for food and fuel in Craighouse, Jura. First leg is 46Nm, second 30Nm. Arrival in Easdale in time to get squared away and dine - I'd suggest the Oyster Bar, saving the Puffer for the gathering on Saturday. One advantage is that we are with the main group from the start on Saturday and if their plans change, we're included.

Plan 2. We leave at 0900 on Saturday and cruise directly to Loch Tarbert on the west coast of Jura to meet the main group. I'm not keen on this plan - it's a very long day and the best bits are at the end when one would be done in.

TBH, I'm fairly scunnered at this point, but a wee drachm will solve that.
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 16:03   #87
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Worse actually. She managed to get the date mixed up, she thought that I wanted the Saturday. When I emailed her the confirmation this morning, she told me that she had NO ROOMS on Friday 3. I'm very disappointed and can only apologise to you all. So far as I can see, there isn't a stock of accommodation in either port sufficient for our needs.

Having calmed down a touch, I can now only suggest two plans:

Plan 1. We depart Cushendall in good time on Friday (under way 1200-1300 latest) and do what we did the last two years - cruise to Easdale with a break for food and fuel in Craighouse, Jura. First leg is 46Nm, second 30Nm. Arrival in Easdale in time to get squared away and dine - I'd suggest the Oyster Bar, saving the Puffer for the gathering on Saturday. One advantage is that we are with the main group from the start on Saturday and if their plans change, we're included.

Plan 2. We leave at 0900 on Saturday and cruise directly to Loch Tarbert on the west coast of Jura to meet the main group. I'm not keen on this plan - it's a very long day and the best bits are at the end when one would be done in.

TBH, I'm fairly scunnered at this point, but a wee drachm will solve that.
Willk. Let me know numbers and ill do the food booking I agree Ouster Fri and Puffer Sat with the whole group for the craic. We will wait in Tay for your shout but wx really good might pop over to Craighouse for lunch. Keeper posted. By my way there's only one plan Easdale Fri.
B

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 16:06   #88
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Anyway - moving on

Whatever happens, I'll like to gather some information from the skippers to add to my general passage plan. If you wouldn't mind I'd like the following (by PM):

1. Callsign
2. MMSI
3. Skipper's mobile number (some I have)
4. Boat make, colour (tubes/hull) and length

I intend to pull something together and share it between boats I'll confirm overall PAX on the day and place a group TR with Belfast CG. Be aware that mobile comms are patchy on the west coast and depending on your network, non-existent in Easdale. There is no cash machine or fuel in Easdale. Campers should bring EXTRA comfy groundmats or inflatable beds. And a lump hammer.
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 16:46   #89
Member
 
Ribliam's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: No name
Make: Redbay 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 89
RIBase
RE: Moving On

Slight change of plans at my end as well,I won't be leaving Cork until approx 6 pm on Thursday night plan to travel at least as far as Dublin maybe further depending on progress,
whatever I will aim to be in Cushendall to suit a lunchtime Friday departure.

Plan to travel to Easdale on the Fri. looks good to me as Willk has said if their is a change of plans at that end on the Sat. we will be included.


Liam
__________________
Ribliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 16:48   #90
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Anyway - moving on

Whatever happens, I'll like to gather some information from the skippers to add to my general passage plan. If you wouldn't mind I'd like the following:

1. Callsign
2. MMSI
3. Skipper's mobile number (some I have)
4. Boat make, colour (tubes/hull) and length

I intend to pull something together and share it between boats I'll confirm overall PAX on the day and place a group TR with Belfast CG. Be aware that mobile comms are patchy on the west coast and depending on your network, non-existent in Easdale. There is no cash machine or fuel in Easdale. Campers should bring EXTRA comfy groundmats or inflatable beds. And a lump hammer.
Keep me in the loop re your working channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.