Old 02 March 2009, 21:32   #1

Boat name: Ocean Escapes
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 150Yamaha&300Verado
D-Class lifeboat crew!

Hi guys, I'm looking for the correct starting procedures for an RNLI 40hp Mariner, so anyone with experience with a D-Class should have in idea, I have always wanted to know what (step by step) the RNLI say to do for an engine restart!

So I guess what I'm looking for is the training manuals or something, if you can help thanks!!

Here's a Video, Cant hear what they are saying....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D%20Class%20Capsize%20Training%20-%20Underwater.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	40888  
Old 02 March 2009, 22:21   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think they call it Post Immersion Restart - but I thought they removed their engine mod before reselling the engines?

Edit - you might find this interesting - especially later in the thread when turbodiesel joins in:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...post+immersion
Old 02 March 2009, 22:30   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
from what i remember back in the early eighties after capsize it was ,drain carb using the modified drain screw -tap with lever ,remove both spark plugs and pull engine over 40 times ,replace then start as normal after priming ect ,i have some old training videos and some paper manuals somewhere that cover the d class and the atlantics though apart from changing the prop and boat handling they tell you very little about the mechanical side of things .think that the pull over 40 times was that early engines still had points and condensers and it was to try dry the electrics out ,does your engine still have the modifications on or have they been removed ie non return valve in the carb and exhaust leg and the drain lever on the carb ,most sold off to the public had them removed ,one reason is that joe public wouldent keep up the maintainence and it would look bad on the rnli if someone needed rescuing because of it ,another reason why all the old oakley class lifeboats were scrapped or sold for out of water display only ,they had a galvanised ballast tank with varous valves and pipes for self righting down one side of the hull and to inspect it required a near total replank of the hull every 5 years ,not many people would be up to that .regards mart
Old 02 March 2009, 22:31   #4
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think they call it Post Immersion Restart - but I thought they removed their engine mod before reselling the engines?
Yup they remove the water drains on the carbs.

We've just bought an ex RNLI engine in very good nick.

It also has a extension on the short shaft leg. Its not quite a long shaft more an in-between-shaft and an extra splash plate above the cavitation plate.

Chris