Old 06 June 2024, 21:25   #1

Town: dundalk
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30 2T
Positioning SIB on trailer

I have recently kitted out a trailer with 2 HDPE runners for a sib.

However, due to a screwup, I can't widen the runner boards wide enough to sit the tubes central on...

The current setup is one tube on a runner, and the aluminium floor beading on the other runner...

Will this suffice?
Its a honwave 3.5 alu floor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1717708776209.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	145154   Click image for larger version

Name:	1717708776226.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	145155   Click image for larger version

Name:	1717708776247.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	145156  
Old 06 June 2024, 21:30   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
It isn't ideal. However, looking at your pictures, why can't you unbolt where I've marked and make the span wider?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	share_2355603622217783454.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	145157  
Old 06 June 2024, 21:49   #3

problem is the front ones are at their max...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1717710415483.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	145163   Click image for larger version

Name:	1717710415502.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	145164  
Old 07 June 2024, 04:32   #4

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Turn the brackets 180 and.you will get another inch or.2.
Old 07 June 2024, 06:23   #5

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
If anything you need to reduce the width. Best to position both bunks under floor and tight up to the tubes, just like in your first pic. Also ensure bunks extend under transom for support if you intend to tow with motor mounted.
Old 07 June 2024, 10:23   #6

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
It looks like it'll sit nicely on the floor seam if centred. It doesn't need to be centred on the tube itself.
Old 07 June 2024, 11:32   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
If anything you need to reduce the width. Best to position both bunks under floor and tight up to the tubes, just like in your first pic. Also ensure bunks extend under transom for support if you intend to tow with motor mounted.
Agree!

They should stick out past the transom to fully support it. If towing with an outboard attached I like to have a "transom saver" to put a large portion of the outboard weight onto the trailer directly. Even use one on my current RIB.

The bunks should have nice rounded corners too. Sanding or my preference using a router to soften the edges. Totally disputable, but I like carpet on soft bottom inflatable to give a little cushion to the fabric.

Are you sure that is HDPE? Looks like some form of plastic decking material with the tongue and grove.

This setup worked for my previous boat.
Old 07 June 2024, 11:50   #8

thanks all.
Floor it is then.
It is HDPE, but yes a tongue and groove version.
I'll route a curve to the edge and go again .
The bunks down go back to transon, but I dont carry an outboard on it anyway.
Old 07 June 2024, 12:42   #9

Another query regards floor support..
Floor inflated or not?
The honwave has a central sausage that inflated to create the V...
Old 07 June 2024, 12:58   #10

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
I’d recommend sausage keel deflated whilst on the trailer. Floor is stretched drum tight when inflated and long term storage on the bunks will stretch it. The last thing you want is a soggy bottom!

Would also recommend keeping tubes inflated at 50 to 75% pressure to keep firm and allowing for any solar gain/ temperature fluctuations.
Old 07 June 2024, 18:47   #11

I always deflate my boats to a basically zero pressure, to the point they start to loose shape in the cold and take form during hot weather. Same with the keel and speed tubes when I had a Zodiac. *shrugs* Also loosen straps to zero pressure, especially anything that is glued to the boat tubes as the glue can come loose over time from heat.

One thing that may be required moving the bunks inboard to the bend where the floor meets the tubes is the bunks may need to have a little angle to match the transom. This may or may not be possible as is. If not currently possible it could be accomplished by grinding a longer slot where the U-bolts go thru at the mount. I would use an air power die grinder, but an old skool rat tail hand file will get the job done.
Old 07 June 2024, 18:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I always deflate my boats to a basically zero pressure, to the point they start to loose shape in the cold and take form during hot weather. Same with the keel and speed tubes when I had a Zodiac. *shrugs* Also loosen straps to zero pressure, especially anything that is glued to the boat tubes as the glue can come loose over time from heat.
One day you'll have to visit the UK Peter - "hot weather" & "heat" are words that are slowly disappearing from the English vocabulary.
Old 07 June 2024, 20:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
One day you'll have to visit the UK Peter - "hot weather" & "heat" are words that are slowly disappearing from the English vocabulary.
Well we did pass thru the UK on our way to Berlin a couple weeks ago, but never stepped outside the airport. Normandie was windy and cold, but now we are in the Southwest of France where it is hot. I'll be digging two ditches tomorrow so I can eat more of my favorite cheese. Hiked around the hills for 17km yesterday after eating too much.

Had a great time in Arromanches with new friends from the UK and a Dutch guy that joined our group. We talked about everything under the sun. I got asked a lot of questions about politics, and was quite surprised by the discussion. Fortunately we all seemed to have some great boating stories to laugh at each other.

At some point I would like to visit the UK. Though if they are from Aberdeen I might keep asking "Could you please repeat that I can't understand you with your accent", as I said to the guy next to me on the airplane multiple times.

To Allies
Old 08 June 2024, 09:48   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Well we did pass thru the UK on our way to Berlin a couple weeks ago, but never stepped outside the airport. Normandie was windy and cold, but now we are in the Southwest of France where it is hot. I'll be digging two ditches tomorrow so I can eat more of my favorite cheese. Hiked around the hills for 17km yesterday after eating too much.

Had a great time in Arromanches with new friends from the UK and a Dutch guy that joined our group. We talked about everything under the sun. I got asked a lot of questions about politics, and was quite surprised by the discussion. Fortunately we all seemed to have some great boating stories to laugh at each other.

At some point I would like to visit the UK. Though if they are from Aberdeen I might keep asking "Could you please repeat that I can't understand you with your accent", as I said to the guy next to me on the airplane multiple times.

To Allies
Enjoy your trip. Did you visit the 360 Cinema in Arromanches?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2024, 21:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Enjoy your trip. Did you visit the 360 Cinema in Arromanches?
Thanks! Got only one ditch dug in the hard rock infested dirt today for the sister in-laws house to move water away from it. Did break a pick handle and being in France is nothing like the USA where hardware stores like Home Depot are open from 6:00am-10:00pm most every day. Good exercise, but I wished I had my mini excavator the whole time.

We have an infant that had his 1st birthday today, and we didn't think the 360 movie was appropriate, especially since we have a zero screen time policy (Which doesn't work very well on an airplane). I was bummed to miss the movie, and yet we stayed in a nice ladies house right at the bottom of the hill. She offered to babysit, but timing didn't line up.
Old 09 June 2024, 01:02   #16

Sorry Peter, I'm on a shitty stag do in Blackpool (don't ask) and I can't even comprehend what planet your on! bur it sounds much more interesting than Blackpool!
Old 09 June 2024, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Sorry Peter, I'm on a shitty stag do in Blackpool (don't ask) and I can't even comprehend what planet your on! bur it sounds much more interesting than Blackpool!
Sorry Steve, I don't speak "English" I speak "American"?? Had to look up what you meant. Reddit was not kind to Blackpool, and it has a reputation of a place I wouldn't even want to visit

I am biased, but France has lovely ladies and with hot weather there is a lot to admire. My wife, sister, and friends were out until 2:00am dancing last night I on the other hand was on daddy duty, and missed out, so you could say the boy and I were stag last night.

The wife wants to buy a house here in France, but I think I have her convinced it is easier to stay with her parents or sister. I like to visit, but want to live in California, where there are oceans to scuba dive in and lots of boating adventures to go on. Plus it would be best to invest in a rental property nearby to our home for performing repairs and dealing with tenants. Although I did say she could buy her aunts very old stone house on a nice piece of property. It needs a lot of work though.

Here are some of the folks that were visiting Arromanches from the UK. I'd never seen so many American WWII vehicles at once. The little tank thingy in the background is British though.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4191.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	145175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4189.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	145176  
Old 09 June 2024, 14:19   #18

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:

Here are some of the folks that were visiting Arromanches from the UK. I'd never seen so many American WWII vehicles at once. The little tank thingy in the background is British though.
https://www.rib.net/forum/attachment...1&d=1717931298
https://www.rib.net/forum/attachment...1&d=1717931230
Looks like a British Daimler Dingo. A sort of cute little armoured car rather than a tank. Love the Willies Jeep though. Such an iconic shape.
Old 09 June 2024, 21:03   #19

Tour France most summers on my motorcycle, and love it.
Will probably buy somewhere there before retirement, but the property tax can be insane pending on address.

Tags
sib, trailer