Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 07 October 2007, 17:03   #1

Length: 4m +
Transom Setback on soft bottom inflatable- bad idea?

I'm wondering if setback is a bad idea on a softbottom inflatable as I see the rearward tube length digs in importantly during turns. Moving the motor back might make the steering more quirky?
I'm asking because I have this little minnkota hydraulic power trim unit (rated for clamp on motors up to 40HP)... was thinking of trying it on my 4.3m inflatable with it's 30HP Yamaha but it would set the motor back 7 inches
I now have 36" of tube (to the end of the plastic cap) out behind the transom ...prolly 30" or so in the water when turning.
Old 07 October 2007, 21:05   #2

Town: Ilford
Boat name: El Rekko
Make: DUX
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp OB
Transom set back

What I have to say on this topic could well be absolute fiction, however fwiw I believe that the tube overhang is there to balance the weight of the O/B. Moving engine weight backward could well unbalance the craft completely.
Old 08 October 2007, 03:40   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
What Derrick said. I can't see any benefit whatsoever in doing this on a 14' SIB, just negatives, such as;

More total weight. Not only the extra weight of the unit but also of a battery that would probably not be needed otherwise.

That additional weight would be concentrated at the stern in addition to the sternward relocation of the motor itself. The planing and handling charactersics of the boat (both with oncoming and following seas) would be awful.

A huge hassle if ever wish to fold the SIB.

I'd simply do some trials to see what fixed trim setting is most efficient for that boat with the motor on the transom as it should be, and stay with that. Simply be sure that when you load cargo you pay attention to weight distribution.
Old 10 October 2007, 01:30   #4

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 30
The leverage of the jackplate puts a lot more stress on the transom. I would think a jackplate would shorten the life of the transom on a sib significantly. Just m 2 cents.