Old 20 October 2010, 20:34   #1

Town: newcastle upo tyne
Boat name: vyper1
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard, petrol, 75
Best 4.8-5m Rib

Hi,

anybody got any views on what they consider to be the best model of 5m rib to buy to accomodate a bit of ribbing and diving for no more that 4 divers. Its mainly to be used as a weekend fun boat, but I'd like something I can also consider using on occassion to dive from. I've seen some canny 5.4m seariders, but these look quite big in size; where the one i've come across in particular has a 6 year old 60hp 2 stroke on it. Not sure whether this would be a bit under-powered for the size of this boat. The other boat on offer is a 10 year old 4.8m ribcarft c/w 75 mercury. I've been watching the usual sites for a gem of a humber ocean pro or 4.7m searider but just can't seem to find anything, let alone something to match my budget of around £6k. Anyone offering advice of what, where, and when to buy such a boat/set-up would be most appreciated, as this is only my second rib (the first being a 4m searider).

cheers,
Old 21 October 2010, 14:59   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by physdemon View Post
Hi,

anybody got any views on what they consider to be the best model of 5m rib to buy to accomodate a bit of ribbing and diving for no more that 4 divers. Its mainly to be used as a weekend fun boat, but I'd like something I can also consider using on occassion to dive from. I've seen some canny 5.4m seariders, but these look quite big in size; where the one i've come across in particular has a 6 year old 60hp 2 stroke on it. Not sure whether this would be a bit under-powered for the size of this boat. The other boat on offer is a 10 year old 4.8m ribcarft c/w 75 mercury. I've been watching the usual sites for a gem of a humber ocean pro or 4.7m searider but just can't seem to find anything, let alone something to match my budget of around £6k. Anyone offering advice of what, where, and when to buy such a boat/set-up would be most appreciated, as this is only my second rib (the first being a 4m searider).

cheers,
Same predicament I was in. I sold my Zodiac Pro and moved to a new RIBcraft 4.8m, 2010 build. I'm adding the electrics, rigging engine, myself, etc. Ideally I'd have bought a new engine too, however budget was tight, so sourced a second-hand 60hp Twatsoo. Already need a trim motor - and she's not even in the water!

Back to your original question, definitely worth considering RIBcraft 4.8m. Few on Boats and Outboards just now. Seariders (4.7m) have a cult following on here, so good examples are like rocking horse poo. I'd also consider Humber Ocean Pro (2.0m beam).

Is there anything stopping you going a little bigger? If storage isn't an issue, there are probably more examples out there at a price you can afford. Tornado's are excellent for diving. This is local to me - just needs an engine.
http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=27974
Old 21 October 2010, 22:53   #3

Town: newcastle upo tyne
Boat name: vyper1
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: outboard, petrol, 75
thanks for the reply.

I know there are lots of great boats, but where are they??

I've spied a 10 year old 4.8 ribcraft that's got potential with a 10 year 75 mercury 2 stroke on it, and heard that ribcraft are excellent rough water boats, so i'm interested. I'm a little unsure of whether to go for it or hold back for a 4.8 with a four stroke in order to get the better performance/residual value. Just out of interest what would you expect to pay for such a rib?

I'd really like a 4.7m searider if anybody has one for the type of money i'm talking about, but seems unlikely given there scarcity.

The ocean pro @ 5m looks good, also, but haven't spyed one yet.

anyways thans for the reply. anybody ealse out there with some thoughts please chip in!
Old 22 October 2010, 08:20   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by physdemon View Post
thanks for the reply.

I know there are lots of great boats, but where are they??

I've spied a 10 year old 4.8 ribcraft that's got potential with a 10 year 75 mercury 2 stroke on it, and heard that ribcraft are excellent rough water boats, so i'm interested. I'm a little unsure of whether to go for it or hold back for a 4.8 with a four stroke in order to get the better performance/residual value. Just out of interest what would you expect to pay for such a rib?

I'd really like a 4.7m searider if anybody has one for the type of money i'm talking about, but seems unlikely given there scarcity.

The ocean pro @ 5m looks good, also, but haven't spyed one yet.

anyways thans for the reply. anybody ealse out there with some thoughts please chip in!
Pricing boats is a difficult one. Prices are better at this time of year as the season to most of us is finished. Come the spring and it all goes a little mad. Normally, take the new price of a new boat and engine and knock off 20% in the first year and then 10% every year there-after. Forget ancillaries, electronics and such-like. Yes it all adds value, but the bare bones of the boat, engine and trailer is what determines price.

Regards the 10 year old RIBcraft. I'd price it around £6k, even with an older engine. If you were seriously interested, go in with a lower price with a view to replacing the engine with a 4-stroke. However mid-range 4-strokes in the 50-75hp range are few and far between, as inevitably they stay with the boat. The only reason they come on the market is if the owner has re-engined the boat for more or less power. As a guide, there's a Suzuki DF70 with only 100 hours at Bosun's Locker. That's a sweet engine, but you'll need to find £4,500. http://www.bosuns.co.uk/boats/partnu...77&pnid=326495
Old 22 October 2010, 09:04   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
As a guide, there's a Suzuki DF70 with only 100 hours at Bosun's Locker. That's a sweet engine, but you'll need to find £4,500. http://www.bosuns.co.uk/boats/partnu...77&pnid=326495
2002 DF70 ended this am on ebay. Failed to get its start bid of £2850.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT