Old 20 August 2023, 14:38   #1

Town: Orono
Zodiac vs Highfield

Greetings!
I run a sailing program in the Caribbean and am looking to upgrade our fleet of RIBS. We have an aging fleet of AB Oceanus 15's that we use for watersports and short range transportation. We are debating between buying the Zodiac pro 500 or the Highfield Patrol 4.6. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on ride quality, price, quality, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Arter
Old 20 August 2023, 19:57   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
What Island you on ?
I used to live in Grand Cayman back in the 90's, so I know each Island is dependent on cargo from the states. So which maker of rib is best supported on your Island? and what are the importers like to deal with?
I don't think there is much between the two brands though.
Old 21 August 2023, 11:09   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by arterak View Post
Greetings!
I run a sailing program in the Caribbean and am looking to upgrade our fleet of RIBS. We have an aging fleet of AB Oceanus 15's that we use for watersports and short range transportation. We are debating between buying the Zodiac pro 500 or the Highfield Patrol 4.6. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on ride quality, price, quality, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Arter
Hi Arter

I used to run the Zodiac Pro 9 man and now run a Highfield Patrol 600.

I know its a bigger boat but I find the hull shape on the Patrol so much better for cutting through waves, gripping the water in turns and holding waves when playing. The Zodiac is very much suited to flatter waters when compared to the Patrol.

The large high bow, along with the double spray rails gives a much dryer ride too, when combined with the larger console the helm stays dry in most conditions.

Storage wise the Patrol wins too, plenty of space in the locker and seat pod design. The smaller tubes on the Zodiac made for getting back in from the water easier, but a ladder or strop soon solves that.

Deck space there;s not a massive amount between them, the hull on teh zodiac has the inner upstand, I found this took up some useable space, but not enough tow orry about, that said the inner beam on the Highfields does feel a lot larger, even with the bigger tubes, and I'm sure thsi si down to the visual image this step brings.

I enjoyed my Zodiac, but having played with both, wouldn't go for one again over the Highfield.

You do need to think of supplier as it'll makes a difference in the support available. So long as each boat supplies what you need then local supplier is key.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 18:00   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arterak View Post
Greetings!

Thanks in advance,
Arter
Zodiac can be retubed in about an hour. Both PVC or CSM/CR "Orca" material are available. It's also handy for repairs, because the tubeset can be removed and taken indoors & repaired in a climate controlled room to maximize the efficacy of the repairs.

The Pro 500 has no integral fuel tank, so there isn't a lot of maintenance outside of the tubeset itself.

I think it's a no brainer...
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 12:06   #5

Town: Orono
I am based out of Tortola in the BVI.

Tags
zodiac