Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 August 2023, 13:39   #1

Town: Herrliberg
Newbie searching for a fishing RIB

Hey all,

I am an avid fisherman, and have been renting solid hull boats on the lakes around me to go fishing. Unfortunatelly the locations around are absolutely packed and getting a slot for a bot takes many years...
With that in mind, I'd like to buy a RIB for fishing(I do a lot of freshwater fishing using sonar), and my main constraint is that it should be able to be folded and put in the car. Car's trunk's pretty big(volkswagen T6) so ~1.5m wide by 1.5m tall by 1m deep would be the likely primary dimensions.
I'd like to have a hard floor(aluminium or wood is fine) and enough space for 3 people semi-comfortably. Engine will be a separate topic but I'll be staying on small electric motors to start.

From my initial research the Zodiac Cadet Alu 350 looks like a good match, but I can't find any information on how big it is folded... And maybe there are better alternatives?

I henceforth come seeking collective knowledge, and would love to hear what recommendations there are

Oh and budget is ~3-4k, maybe 5k pushing it.

Thank you,

- pk
Old 28 August 2023, 17:29   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Zodiac Cadet 350 Alu:-

Packed Dimensions:

Length of bag 1.24
Width of bag 0.60
Height of bag 0.3

I assume you are talking Swiss Francs? Is 3-4k including the electric outboard?
Old 28 August 2023, 17:41   #3

Thank you for the details

Without, I have a possible free one from a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Zodiac Cadet 350 Alu:-

Packed Dimensions:

Length of bag 1.24
Width of bag 0.60
Height of bag 0.3

I assume you are talking Swiss Francs? Is 3-4k including the electric outboard?
Old 28 August 2023, 18:13   #4

That's a lot of money for a sib. Cadet 350 cost in the UK is approx 2000 CHF.
Heavy sib with three people for an electric outboard.
Old 29 August 2023, 08:42   #5

Absolutely, and that was a maximum budget. I'm a little afraid the 350 is a bit on the smaller side for two fishermen with 4 rods and sonar equipment. Is there any other companies providing hard floors and yet foldable in a decently small package?
Old 29 August 2023, 09:23   #6

I don't know what companies retail in Switzerland. I would do a lot of Internet research, come up with a list of possibilities and then ask forum members their opinions.
Does it need to be an aluminium floor?
Old 29 August 2023, 09:35   #7

Understood, I'll check on that, makes sense and no, floor can be wood, or even plastic, just something sturdy to walk on(not inflatable)
Old 29 August 2023, 09:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuspk View Post
Understood, I'll check on that, makes sense and no, floor can be wood, or even plastic, just something sturdy to walk on(not inflatable)
Why not an inflatable airdeck? Lots of members who fish have airdeck. I have an sirdeck and have never had a problem, stable, firm, light and there is no problem standing on it.
Old 29 August 2023, 09:57   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Is a SIB the best boat for your purposes? As previously mentioned 3pax + gear in a 3.5m SIB is going to be cosy. Notwithstanding the storage/transport issues, I think there are better boats for your needs out there. If you could stretch to a small trailered boat, a lot more options will be available.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 15:07   #10

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuspk View Post
Hey all,

I am an avid fisherman, and have been renting solid hull boats on the lakes around me to go fishing. Unfortunatelly the locations around are absolutely packed and getting a slot for a bot takes many years...
With that in mind, I'd like to buy a RIB for fishing(I do a lot of freshwater fishing using sonar), and my main constraint is that it should be able to be folded and put in the car. Car's trunk's pretty big(volkswagen T6) so ~1.5m wide by 1.5m tall by 1m deep would be the likely primary dimensions.
I'd like to have a hard floor(aluminium or wood is fine) and enough space for 3 people semi-comfortably. Engine will be a separate topic but I'll be staying on small electric motors to start.

From my initial research the Zodiac Cadet Alu 350 looks like a good match, but I can't find any information on how big it is folded... And maybe there are better alternatives?

I henceforth come seeking collective knowledge, and would love to hear what recommendations there are

Oh and budget is ~3-4k, maybe 5k pushing it.

Thank you,

- pk
I have pretty similar user-case to yours. I mostly fish freshwater lakes but I do some coastal fishing also.
I mainly use a Yamaha 380S and at 3.8 metres it's comfortable to fish with 3 onboard, though It would be nice to have a little more room (keep in mind you need casting space, not just seating room). The aluminium floor is a must, imo. Compared with a couple of other SIBs I have with ply floor, its so much lighter and you also have the option of mounting a quick-detach swivel seat base if you wanted. You'll probably want to carry a fair bit of equipment when heading out too, so the reduction in floor weight is a plus (3 or 4 ply sections are heavier than you might think).

With a little practice, I can have the whole thing disassembled and ready for packing in 5 mins. It's around 90cm x 70cm and 40cm thick (rough guesstimate) once folded and goes easily into the boot of most cars without issue, so you'll have acres of space in a T6. It weighs about 60 or 70kg though, so I try to keep the carrying to a minimum.

There are plenty of brands/models worth looking into also, but whatever you do choose, I'd aim for at least around 3.8M if you need to carry 3 + gear. A small electric motor might struggle though. My 15hp is up to the job, but isn't exactly fast when loaded up.
Old 29 August 2023, 18:21   #11

I don't really fish so this is a genuine question.

Why is an aluminium floor "a must" as opposed to an airfloor?
Old 29 August 2023, 19:32   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Probably thinking of sharp and/or pointy things?

Hooks, knives for cutting bait, some fish have sharp gill plates and spines.
Sea bass have both the latter in spades & you need to be careful how you handle a live one as they will thrash about & can do you a fair bit of damage. Perch are similarly armed but not to the same extent.
Not sure whether either could cause a puncture though.
Old 29 August 2023, 20:06   #13

I'd imagine that lghtweight interlocking eva mats would protect the floor from such punctures and make for an overall lighter package.
When I was paranoid about the dogs claws puncturing my airdeck I used eva mats. The paranoia has gone, so have the mats, and so far no punctures.
Old 30 August 2023, 05:37   #14

Town: Colchester
If the Honwave range iPod sibs are available where you live they are very good. Many people in the U.K. fish seawater from them very effectively. The T38 ie 3 is very light but has an air floor or the T35AE 3 has a alu floor. 2 people can fish from either of these easily. If you wanted 3 people regularly the T40 AE 3 would be excellent and if you had 3 people you would have the manpower to lift it

Tags
rib