Old 09 June 2008, 19:48   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: N/A
Make: EPS Pacific
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Which size LJ?

Well, when I say LJ I mean buoancy aid, I much prefer them. I'm looking to buy a new one, however I'm stuck on which size to get.

I'm 6ft4 and quite slender yet broad shouldered. I was thinking maybe a medium which should sit snug. However, to be on the safe side I could go for a large which then may be too big around the chest.

Med - 96-106cm (38-42ins) chest.
Large - 106-116cm (42-46ins) chest.

I'm and 18 yr old male, so no, I do not know how to measure my chest size and the missus is out

Anyone of a similar sounding build that could help?

All welcome, Laurence.

(Maybe it's best I get myself down to aladins cave and try a couple on, save all this internet shopping lark)
Old 09 June 2008, 20:23   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Don't mess around with bouyancy aids, buy a gas inflation lifejacket. If you get chucked out of the boat at speed you'll need it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 22:16   #3

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
lj's

I'm with Nos on this one,

I use both buoyancy, or lifejacket, depending on what i'm doing, when its sailing tuition/ beginners sailing safety cover, in a nice little sheltered area, then its the BA,

when i'm powerboating, then its a auto inflate gas LJ, and I know folk take up strong sides each side of the fence on auto or manual, all I'd ask, is when you hit the water unconscious, who's going to pull the manual toggle for you - so for me its auto every time - no doubt there will be 10 different opinions here in a short while!
Old 09 June 2008, 22:18   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Go to a kayak shop such as Kayaksandpaddles.com you will get a really good choice of top quality bouyancy aids and advice on the fit and amount of bouyancy and features you need . Be prepared to spend £70 -100 though .
For some reason the average chandler doesn't seem to have much choice and the offerings are nasty bulky bouyancy aids .
May have something to do with what Nos4 said , auto lifejackets are more popular , but i think there is good argument for both
Old 09 June 2008, 22:26   #5

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
ba/ lj

have a look at what the inshore lifeboat crews are wearing now, - and what their needs are, and where they have been to reach this stage,

and also think about what it is you want from any 'flotation device', - kind of back to the roots, what is it that you are getting it for in the first place, is it offshore cruising, or something else, are you planning on being in and out of the water etc etc.
Old 09 June 2008, 23:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Don't mess around with bouyancy aids, buy a gas inflation lifejacket. If you get chucked out of the boat at speed you'll need it.
I was going to buy one a while ago. However, they inflate on contact with water, no? What would happen if I hit a wave?

I think there are a type of gas inflating jackets that inflate under certain water pressure levels. Any info on these?

Laurence
Old 09 June 2008, 23:28   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4RRY View Post
I was going to buy one a while ago. However, they inflate on contact with water, no? What would happen if I hit a wave?
They aren't usually that sensitive unless you stuff really badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4RRY View Post

I think there are a type of gas inflating jackets that inflate under certain water pressure levels. Any info on these?

Laurence
Look for 'Hammar' in the name-they have to be submerged to (Ithink) 10cm before they trigger.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 23:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They aren't usually that sensitive unless you stuff really badly.

Look for 'Hammar' in the name-they have to be submerged to (Ithink) 10cm before they trigger.
Will do, thanks alot!

Laurence
Old 10 June 2008, 07:25   #9

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Laurence,
There is loads of info on this website about different types of firing and inflation mechanisms:

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejac...on_Devices.htm

I bought my lifejacket from them and have had no problems. For the sake of the discussion, I do wear a bouyancy aid when I'm staying inshore, in and out of the water or doing safety boat work.

Tim
Old 10 June 2008, 08:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
Laurence,
There is loads of info on this website about different types of firing and inflation mechanisms:

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejac...on_Devices.htm

I bought my lifejacket from them and have had no problems. For the sake of the discussion, I do wear a bouyancy aid when I'm staying inshore, in and out of the water or doing safety boat work.

Tim
Yeah, I think i've always used buoancy aids because i've never had the need to wear anything else! If I have they've always been supplied (courses, friends boats etc). Maybe I should just try something different, if anything it'll just be handy to have my own!

I'll check that link out though, thanks alot!

Laurence.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:11   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Getting away from the LJ vs BA discussion for a mo (the self righting properties of a good LJ should never be overlooked though).

I am similar build to you and find that the fit of a BA depends entirely on what other gear I am wearing at the time, with just a t-shirt then a medium is good but with a jumper and waterproofs on I need an XL.

You could look at one of these:
http://shop.malthouse-marine.com/ind...d=62&parent=31

Which are genuinely one-size-fits-all in the same way as an inflatable lifejacket, ie if you adjust it properly.

NB Most of the lifejeckets/buoyancy aid models we stock have been tested in the water by me, partly because I do not naturally float so they are a very welcome bit of boaty kit!
Old 10 June 2008, 09:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Getting away from the LJ vs BA discussion for a mo (the self righting properties of a good LJ should never be overlooked though).

I am similar build to you and find that the fit of a BA depends entirely on what other gear I am wearing at the time, with just a t-shirt then a medium is good but with a jumper and waterproofs on I need an XL.

You could look at one of these:
http://shop.malthouse-marine.com/ind...d=62&parent=31

Which are genuinely one-size-fits-all in the same way as an inflatable lifejacket, ie if you adjust it properly.

NB Most of the lifejeckets/buoyancy aid models we stock have been tested in the water by me, partly because I do not naturally float so they are a very welcome bit of boaty kit!

That's interesting, I didn't know they made them. Think I may have to get myself one of those!

I could also stretch the budget a bit later on and get myself an automatic LJ aswell. Just incase any offshore opportunities arise!

Thanks for your help!

Laurence