Originally Posted by Alfaracer33
I'm new to RIB's and no doubt the question of which one to buy has been discussed many times on this forum! Nevertheless, any views/experiences would be much appreciated.
I'm keen on a Ribeye (secondhand) - 5 to 6m ish. Is the Ribeye range a good bet, or should I look at other manufacturers?
There's not necessarily anything wrong with Ribeye but if you search the forums you'll find plenty of people asking similar questions and often being steered towards other boats which might be more suitable or offer better value for money.
Everyone's needs are different (and they change with time) so can I suggest you answer these question to get more helpful advice from the forum:
(1) Where will you be using it? [the ideal boat for the Solent may be different from the ideal boat on the west of Ireland]
(2) What weather will you be using it in? [mostly brilliant sunshine and little wind, or all year round, or are you constrained by work/family so will be going out next weekend unless its horrendous because you won't get a chance again for 3 weeks]
(3) How many people will you be carrying? [think normally, rather than - it would be nice to squeeze 10 people on to hop a mile across a bay]
(4) How far do you intend to go? [hours/miles in a day and distance off the shore]
(5) What do you want to do with it? [fishing / skiing / diving / cruising]
(6) How important is top speed? [if so what sounds fast to you?]
(7) How important is the "look"? [this applies both to looking "cool" and looking "industrial" or "military"]
(8) Where are you going to keep it? [do you have size restriction for launching / towing / storing]
(9) What's your budget like? [if you want to a RIB can easily cost £2000-200,000!]