Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 October 2015, 00:13   #1

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Where can I get a GRP layer built for my console?

Sort of a winter project, I have added a couple of new screens, and electronics to the existing console and some are mounted with their mounting holder.

I really want the new screens to fit into the console but the console needs cutting and I think it's better if I can get a new layer designed and built on top of existing console and then mount everything on that?

Who in Poole/Hampshire does GRP console construction etc.?
Old 24 October 2015, 06:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm not sure I quite follow but I think you are looking to remove all the instruments from the existing console and then fill all the holes so you have a fresh flat surface to play with?

that is possible, but it's quite a bit of effort to get it back to pristine, with a good colour match (white is not just white!) and put in a Base Layer that is strong enough for the new gauges but easy enough to drill to install stuff. I'd be surprised if you are any less than a couple of days of someone's time, and then having got a perfect console you are going to take your power tools to it!

Depending on the style of console/boat it might be easier to look at having a flat sheet of stainless / brushed aluminium / carbon fibre / etc laser or water jet cut to the shape you need with all the gauges cut out and then you cut one big whole and bolt this on top. Done right that looks good, isn't hugely expensive and gan give you easy access to the back of the electronics for wiring etc.
Old 24 October 2015, 09:20   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post
Sort of a winter project, I have added a couple of new screens, and electronics to the existing console and some are mounted with their mounting holder.

I really want the new screens to fit into the console but the console needs cutting and I think it's better if I can get a new layer designed and built on top of existing console and then mount everything on that?

Who in Poole/Hampshire does GRP console construction etc.?
East coast fibreglass do GRP sheets & composite I think they will post they also do work for customers too worth a ring helped me no end with my project

Cheers