Old 27 March 2011, 16:50   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
What's sensible to leave on board?

I was just thinking of the items I don't clear off the boat when putting her way and whether other have views- (well they're sure to!) - on this. I carefully didn't ask "what do you leave on board" for the obvious reason

I suppose the one position is "everything that can be" but then that mean spending more time packing away / putting back aboard every time you go out - and taking up space in the car.

I clear most things, flare jar, lifebouy & danlight, any electronics not built in, spare life jacket, tool kit spare fuel, kill cords etc... but tend to leave anchor & line, fenders & mooring lines, bailer, bucket etc on board for the season.

Although some may think it sensible, I'm ruling out nearest & dearest & dependents as options to be left!

LT
Old 27 March 2011, 17:20   #2

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
If our boat's left on the water overnight we clear everything that's not bolted down apart from the anchor/chain/rope which we can't be arsed to lug. Everyone we've ever spoken to who's spent time in Marinas suggests that if can be lifted by an opportunist, it probably will be

Not sure what you mean by "...putting her away..." though. Your precise definition of that will influence the answer.
Old 27 March 2011, 17:25   #3
max

Town: Triest
Make: 7 m
Length: 7m +
Engine: 175 e-tec
Things on Board

Hi,

Im for sure not the best example for this but i also leave the gps and cds on the rib for the hole summer, i just take my cell phone and cigarettses with me.
but as i said im not the best example.

for my opinion the fun on boats is to enter them and go somewhere and not deal with it as i would go for 2 weeks skiing holidays to the alps, and also the fact that all the staff you leave on the boat is mostly sold with the boat i think so why to keep it in the best condition when the boat is also used.
i also had never a problem that things where stolen .

kind regards

Max
Old 27 March 2011, 18:31   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It surely depends where you leave it. I used to keep my boat outside, in an unlocked compound just off a minor road on the west coast of scotland. Nothing ever went awol, although i took anything of real value, but left my tool kit, anchor, fenders, fire ext and even a spare 5 L fuel can etc. It not lives indoors in a shared shed and I leave slightly more on-board (e.g. spare l/jackets) but obviously the h/held VHF and GPS would be just too tempting.
Old 27 March 2011, 21:38   #5

Town: London
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Yesterday when we finished a long day on the rib, and tired of carrying stuff back, I was thinking of leaving a few things...such as VHF, and GPS/Radar.

I have a lockable hatch but again, these stuff were not included in my insurance policy so I thought I better take them with me as overall it costed me around £2k.

Another thing to consider is the effect of a damp area you may leave you stuff.

Last summer a friend of mine had a humidity meter. We tested inside the hatch behind the console and it was well above the levels suggested by the electronics' manufacturers despite the area looked100% dry!!
Old 27 March 2011, 22:17   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Sorry guys for any confusion.
My boat is left on trailer,ashore in a "secure" marina compound, by which I mean access controlled by barrier/swipe card, staffed during the working day, with full cctv cover.

Obvious boat security in place hitch lock / wheel locks / engine locks, cover etc....

My question was for those who leave boats in such compounds - or even afloat - what sort of kit is generally not taken away when you leave her though reasonable to leave aboard.

For example is it worth taking the lifebuoy/danlight of the fitting everytime or not.

If I tie up at pontoon overnight I'm more likely to l leave more on (e.g. spare fuel. lifebuoy etc) than when she's ashore for a couple of weeks - and I've neveer had a problem. How do others gauge risk & hassle factors, bearing in mind if they're going to take your boat,they'll take your boat?

LT
Old 28 March 2011, 06:15   #7

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
My boat is left on trailer,ashore in a "secure" marina compound, by which I mean access controlled by barrier/swipe card, staffed during the working day, with full cctv cover.
There's occasional stories on here about 150kg+ outboards (with locks) being taken from boats in 'secure' compounds. I wouldn't leave anything of any significant value if I was leaving the boat for days at a time. If I leave it at the marina overnight, I'll only leave items of low value that wouldn't stop me using the boat the following day if they were lifted.
Old 28 March 2011, 09:02   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Mine gets brought home with me , and the only reason the GPS is removed is because I also use it on the hills (it's a Garmin handheld) Likewise the spare handheld VHF is removed, left switched on for 24 hrs to flatten the battery & recharged & replaced the day before I go out again.

If I'm helping at an event and leaving overnight in a marina then as above, the handheld & the GPS come off, the fixed VHF is well bolted in. tools etc live under the (locked) seat. When I finally get round to a plotter, it too will be firmly attatched.