Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 August 2006, 03:16   #1

Town: Toronto
Make: Zodiac MK II GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 30 Outboard
What do you use for scuba tanks?

I am new to this board so please be patient if I am asking a redundant question, as I couldn't find anything in the search engine. I wanted to know what you are using to secure scuba cylinders on you RIB. I just took delivery of my Bombard 470 Explorer and have yet to figure out whether or not to go with a cage type system or otherwise. Pics would be appreciated.
Old 18 August 2006, 06:13   #2

Town: South East
Make: Valiant DR520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 75
Only if I was running a school or doing multiple dives on the same day would I bother with a bottle rack. It takes up too much room in the back. Get every body to assemble their kit and leave it bottle side down wrapped up opposite where they are going to sit. Loose tanks are the only reason I would consider putting a rack in for but 95% of the time our group are doing single dives.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:31   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Agreed, on a boat your size it would hinder more than help. On our 5.5m its debatable how effective it is. I had toyed with the idea of designing a fold flat assembly that lies in a recess along the line of the keel.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2006, 14:55   #4

Town: Toronto
Make: Zodiac MK II GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 30 Outboard
Thanks folks, I appreciate the feedback. The only reason I thought of doing so was it is a handy place to store them when travelling to and from the boat ramps as well. The unit I was looking at was completely portable that allowed me to ratchet strap it down to the forward section when in use, and remove it when I wanted the RIB for play time.

Nick
smokeeater341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2006, 16:51   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Used to have a 14' Achilles. No rack, as I hated all the wasted space (four or six round pegs that fit in square holes means a lot of extra corners.)

To and from the ramp was about the same (except that my buddies usually transported their own gear.) The only caveat is that if I stopped for a meal or something, or stayed in a hotel, all loose stuff got locked up in the truck.

Now, with the 18' RIB (quite a bit wider than the Achilles), I still leave the dive rigs on the deck, but have plans for a couple of racks whenever I get the time to get my buddy to build them.

jky
Old 18 August 2006, 17:36   #6

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
My Rib is a bit bigger then yours but I think it would still work nicely in a smaller rib. I had a frame welded up that sets just in front of the anchor looker that I use a ratchet start and strap all of my tanks to it. That rack has two legs going to the deck with a strut heading forward over the front of the boat with a third leg holding it up just in front of the front hatch. The strut heading over the front also doubles as an anchor roller and keeps my anchor line off of the tube. It takes up very little space when not in use. It also provides a place to hold on too when up front and a plat form to set your tank as you shrug into it. I will attach some PDF’s of the drawing and will take pics. tomorrow morning and post if you would like to see it. Right now it’s just made out of steel to keep it cheap and workable until I find a design I like then will fab out of alum. Or stainless. I’ve had up too 12 tanks on board with room left over.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRONT RACK.pdf (4.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: pdf FRONT RACK 1.pdf (5.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: pdf FRONT RACK 2.pdf (6.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: pdf FRONT RACK 3.pdf (3.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: pdf FRONT RACK 4.pdf (5.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 18 August 2006, 18:07   #7

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
We made one that looks like an H from above, its 2m long and 60cm wide, 60cm high with 2 bars going from back to forward, first bar 25cm from deck and second one on top.
Bad pic but maybe it says a little.
Attached Images