Old 26 July 2001, 13:49   #1

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
What do I buy?

I have approx £12,000 to spend. I want a rib of a minimum of 6 metres. I will do a lot of boating in the Solent with a few Channel Crossings.
What do you think is best?
I am considering Tohatsu 6.1 one design, Ring Legend 6.5 and Avon Adventure 6.2 with honda 130hp. Any other suggestions?
All input greatly appreciated.

Martin
Old 26 July 2001, 18:16   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Martin
Some people will call me biased, but I honestly believe that the Hysucat 6.5m RIB is the best in its class (size)for your specific needs. Funnily enough, there is one for sale in the classifieds of this fine organ - I am sure Robin Hamilton will give you a good deal with the sort of budget you have! Contact him and go for a blast - you will not regret it.
Old 27 July 2001, 07:55   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Martin,

The Tohatsu 6m is a good hull. Performs pretty well but perhaps a little lightly built. The Avon 6.2m is built like a brick outhouse but, and heres where I run the risk of upsetting a mate of mine who is selling one with a Honda 130, I believe the 130 Honda is too heavy for that length boat. I have driven one in pretty rough conditions and found it to be very tail heavy.

That being said the 130 honda is a wonderfully quiet and fuel efficient engine.

No experience of the ring 6.5m. For 12k you should be able to pick up a fairly decent second hand rig. My top tip, learned from bitter experience is to go for a rig with the newest and best engine you can afford. Boats are relativelye easy to improve, repair and renovate. Engines are not! (In our case we bought a new BWM DS21 with an old Johnson 150 o/b. Great boat but VERY thirsty engine which eventually expired on us this year. We then ended up spending a lot of money on a new Merc Optimax.)

Other 6mish RIBS to consider would be the Ribcraft and Ribtec 585 and 6500 models, Humbers (bit basic but well built) and the Coastline 6.5m.

HTH,

Alan
Old 27 July 2001, 13:31   #4

Town: GB
Martin, I would have thought that you could pick up a new engine with considerable discount on list price at this time of year. With a 12k budget, you should be able to rig yourself out with a bit og haggling to get a basic spec hull with a good quality engine and still get afloat. I agree that boats are easy to upgrade and add to as time goes by and money become avaiable, but start with a good hull and tiptop engine. If you want to cruise longer distances, most are currently fitting 4 strokes and there are many models coming onto the market. That said, the new generation 2 strokes are streets ahead of what you could get event a couple of years ago. If your prepared to wait a while for the hull to be built, so that you hit the quite season, you should do pretty well.

A good deep V hull will be needed for open crossings. Think about fuel and kit storage, crew numbers, whether you want a work boat or a gin palace, etc. Go for a manufacturer that has a reputation in the type of boat you want, rather than one that predominatly does something different.

A word to the wise - my experience is that you quickly outgrow your intial expectations and can end up with a boat, that was good to start with but a bit lacking when your experience and confidence grows.

Oh, yes and you need to think about the colour!!

Good luck.

------------------
Vernon
Old 27 July 2001, 13:38   #5

Town: GB
Oh yes....

I found the Hysucat great fun , but a real handful in a head sea and strong winds - you also need to consider that you will need to run a twin engine set up on that.

when I was looking for engines last year, I came across people who had experienced alot of corrosion problems with the Hondas, so go speak to a few that have been using them a while I guess.

Mercury are upgrading their four stroke range pretty soon with direct injection and the optimax smart guages etc.

the best advice has got to be don't rush - get to drive as many different boats as you can. A good way to do this is to come on one of the BIBOA cruises and skip round the boats, there will be loads going on over the next few weeks.
Old 28 July 2001, 00:17   #6

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Also check out the Lencraft Ally Cat www.lencraft.com built here in Ireland and also Gemmini both of which offer very good value to £Sterling buyers at the Moment.

Best wishes ,

Stuart www.powerboat.org

------------------
www.powerboat.org
Old 28 July 2001, 17:15   #7

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Thanks for all of your advice I am considering a Humber 6 metre with a 90hp Yamaha. Any views?

Martin
Old 29 July 2001, 09:24   #8

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Yamaha good choice - I have a 50hp 4 Stroke on a 5M, great on fuel, reliable and quiet.