Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 April 2010, 23:10   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Water always on the deck, solution needed

Our Wahoo RIBs have a bit of an issue; they have bench seats at the very back of the boat, and no bilge wells. Basically there is a gap between the bottom of the seat base and the tube where water can flow back, and a bilge pump right up against the transom (in a most awkward place to get to!!) as well as an elephant trunk on both sides. The trouble is because there is no sort of well, the bilge pump sits flat on the same level as the rest of the deck. Because of the way bilge pumps are made there is always a few cm of water sitting at the back of the boat. Not only does this mean that people's feet tend to get wet unless the boat is moving (in which case all the water moves back, but then washed forward again when the boat stops) it also means the tek teak goes green after a while.

I've been trying to think of a solution to this problem. A reasonably simple fix would be to make to make two holes in the deck at the very back of the boat so the water drains into the bilge, and then mount a pump down there to pump it out. The only trouble with that is the bilge no longer becomes a sealed compartment.

The other solution i was toying with was creating a little flap that I could mount at the beginning of the little tunnel created by the seat and the tube which would allow water to flow over it with the movement of the boat, but would stop it washing back again.

Any other ideas?

PS. Red dot marks the location of the bilge pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	50479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	50480  
Old 20 April 2010, 23:17   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
what about a sump? Cut a hole in the deck and sink a small grp box into it? Then that last bit of water should find its way in there and stay there. If you mount the pump in there too you can get of it easily as it starts to fill

edit: just looked at pics, teak deck and not sure where you could fit it!
Old 20 April 2010, 23:23   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
That's a good idea. The big trouble with this problem is the inaccessibility of that area; the only way to get a hand in there is to lie on the floor and put your arm down the gap. I had to change the bilge pump for the first time recently, and guess the pumps must originally have been installed before the tubes were put on as it took a lot of swearing and a saw to get the old one out. I'm hoping a simple solution will work, as a more complicated solution is going to involve surgery on the internals behind the seat.

Edit: another solution I've just thought of could be to drill a couple of holes (one in each "tunnel") and connect a pipe down down which connects to a sealed box containing a pump in the middle under the deck, under the seat. Any deck water would drain down the pipes into the box and then be pumped out.
Old 20 April 2010, 23:30   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Never ceases to amaze me the lack of foresight by some manufacturers, they couldn't care less about their product once it leaves the factory, why make something so difficult access?
Old 21 April 2010, 05:36   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Never ceases to amaze me the lack of foresight by some manufacturers, they couldn't care less about their product once it leaves the factory, why make something so difficult access?
You're not wrong, replaced one on a RIB not long ago that was in the bilge under the rear moulding, behind the rear bench seat. The builder had put a 4" hatch above it but unless your arms were 5 foot long you had no hope! I had to go home and get my 8 year old so she sould crawl in the space and pull the pump up using the cables then I could reach it from the top! Bloody nightmare.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2010, 07:35   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
you could put the pump on a removable mount, fix the mount where you can get at it then you can take the whole lot out, both the other poster's are right, the sump is the answer and builder's dont think of maintaining them, probaly why i'm always busy
Old 21 April 2010, 10:33   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
You're not wrong, replaced one on a RIB not long ago that was in the bilge under the rear moulding, behind the rear bench seat. The builder had put a 4" hatch above it but unless your arms were 5 foot long you had no hope! I had to go home and get my 8 year old so she sould crawl in the space and pull the pump up using the cables then I could reach it from the top! Bloody nightmare.
That's because it was probably made in China where they have 10 year olds the size of 5 year olds!

Seriously - The fact of the matter is that there are many areas where to keep the price down boats are made and rigged in the easiest way possible, and generally speaking the only way to get something that is carefully thought out, easy to maintain and long lasting is to pay more money - but who wants to do that when you can get it for £5,000 cheaper and it looks just as good at first glance.

There are some makes of boat that I believe are better and similar money to the cheaper brands, but they are the exception.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2010, 11:31   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I know your problem Tim as I get water either side of the transom knees on my boat, but with me a quick rock of the boat & it runs down to the under deck well.

But is it simpler to just stick sponges between the tubes & the seat ? They will soak up the water, can be simply rung out & stuffed back in every so often(out of site) and should act in the same way as the ramp set up you show in your picture.

Suppose it depend on how much water you are talking about.

And they are always handy for wiping the boat down at the end of the day ?
Old 21 April 2010, 15:39   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Short term, how about thick rubber mats? Like the ones they use behind bars? May not keep feet completely dry, but will get you a few cm of clearance above the standing water.

jky
Old 21 April 2010, 15:59   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
That's because it was probably made in China where they have 10 year olds the size of 5 year olds!
I get your point but it was british built, locally....

Nothing wrong with the build but a lack of fore-thought me thinks...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote