Old 26 October 2011, 18:10   #1

Length: no boat
Ullman or Scotseats

Been looking into both of these manufacturers lately. There doesn't seem much difference in quality but I thought I would get the general consensus from anyone who has got or has had either of them. Also wondering at price of them because im not brave enought to ask the company themselves for fear of my card refusing to ever come out of my wallet again!!
Old 26 October 2011, 18:18   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Dont forget CoastalPro Ltd who also do similar seats
Old 26 October 2011, 18:20   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I've not been very far on either of them, but have experianced both.

They feel very different, which I think is down to the way each moves, and if you had the choice it would probably come down to which movement felt more comfortable to you.

I believe you're looking at @ £2K each, unless somebody knows better.

Nasher.
Old 26 October 2011, 19:28   #4

Town: Scheveningen
Length: 4m +
Another brand: X-Craft luxurious high performance ribs - models.

Flipper
Old 26 October 2011, 21:16   #5

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Scots with their sideways movement feels veeeery good. Better feeling than the Ulman....
Old 27 October 2011, 09:44   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson View Post
Scots with their sideways movement feels veeeery good. Better feeling than the Ulman....
Haveing tried both I would have to disagree,but thats what Forums are for!
''Ulman's'' have been ''Developed'' over a long(and expensive) period,and tested hard in alot of Poffessional and Military applications,and have a great rep. You might say..The test of a seat is the 'Rough',the test of a 'Brand' is time!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2011, 10:42   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Haveing tried both I would have to disagree,but thats what Forums are for!
''Ulman's'' have been ''Developed'' over a long(and expensive) period,and tested hard in alot of Poffessional and Military applications,and have a great rep. You might say..The test of a seat is the 'Rough',the test of a 'Brand' is time!
Maximus,

This implies that Scotseat don't know what they are doing, are new to this game, didn't do any expensive development, haven't tested their kit hard, and have a poor reputation.

I think that is a little unfair on probably every count. Scotseat have been making suspension seating for a long time and know what they are doing. They've probably actually been supplying suspension seats to boats for longer than Ulman - albeit their "jockey" style seats were not first to market. The fact they have developed a different approach from Ulman rather than just simply copy them, and intentionally included the lateral movement suggests to me that they are more than a couple of guys jumping on the bandwagon.

I've never sat on an Ulman and have nothing against them. I've also not sat in a Scotseat for long enough to draw any real conclusion. So much of ride quality is related to the conditions on the day, the driver and the hull I'm not sure I could try all of them on different boats and definitively conclude one was better (although I'm willing to try!).
Old 27 October 2011, 10:45   #8

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Ullman might be considered to be the mutts, but I rigged a rib a year or so ago that had some of their carbon bucket seat types, and the quality and finish was absolutely shocking!

It does make we wonder how they manage to sell them for such an enormous amount of money.
Old 27 October 2011, 11:02   #9

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Having tried both, I don't think there's much between them other than personal choice. I think you'll be happy with whichever you choose. Personally I like the skeletal look of the Scotseats - just keep your fingers out of the mechanism!!!
Old 27 October 2011, 11:05   #10

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
- just keep your fingers out of the mechanism!!!
Oh yes!!!!!
Old 27 October 2011, 13:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Maximus,

This implies that Scotseat don't know what they are doing, are new to this game, didn't do any expensive development, haven't tested their kit hard, and have a poor reputation.

I think that is a little unfair on probably every count. Scotseat have been making suspension seating for a long time and know what they are doing. They've probably actually been supplying suspension seats to boats for longer than Ulman - albeit their "jockey" style seats were not first to market. The fact they have developed a different approach from Ulman rather than just simply copy them, and intentionally included the lateral movement suggests to me that they are more than a couple of guys jumping on the bandwagon.

I've never sat on an Ulman and have nothing against them. I've also not sat in a Scotseat for long enough to draw any real conclusion. So much of ride quality is related to the conditions on the day, the driver and the hull I'm not sure I could try all of them on different boats and definitively conclude one was better (although I'm willing to try!).
Not Implieing anthing,and GOOD LUCK to anyone who inovates AND competes in the Free Market place,God knows this country needs them! As usual, Only stateing a few facts, and MY opinion....As someone who HAS tried BOTH! And will hopefully up-grade sometime to... Ulmans.

Old 27 October 2011, 15:00   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
and MY opinion....As someone who HAS tried BOTH!
you tried them both on identical boats with the same driver, in the same conditions, in weather where suspension seating was essential? Otherwise its not an educated decision.
Quote:
And will hopefully up-grade sometime to... Ulmans.
IMHO the vast majority of leisure users would be better spending their x*£2000+ on specific training / coaching, better/bigger hulls, and more fuel gaining the experience if they really want to go out in nasty conditions. Still I suppose if you've got money to spend Ullmans certainly gain you some 'macho points' sipping G&T at the marina bar.
Old 27 October 2011, 15:52   #13

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Proof of the pudding

I must admit I have enjoyed reading the various replies to this thread and decided to add my tuppence worth

First of all - Rib Magazine carried out a Shock Mitigation Seating test article in their December 2010 issue where they tested Ullman, Scots Seats, X-Craft, Humber and Coastal Pro seats.

In my case I put my money where my mouth was and got Redbay to retrofit two Scot Seats jockey seats in my RIB exactly a year ago. This was before the above article but that would not have changed my decision in the slightest . Before I made my decision and handed over my hard earned folding green stuff I sea-trialed both Ullman and Scots Seats and read a lot of literature on these and other shock migation seat manufacturers before deciding that the Scot Seats were much more superior.

The cost per seat is more than 2K when you factor in VAT, wingbacks, pedestals, handles etc

I must have done over 1,200 sea miles by now and have found the seats fantastic both in the rough stuff but also during the smoother passages as they reduce driver and passenger fatigue.

As Polwart stated Sots Seat have a lot of experience in shock mitigation as they have been supplying suspension seats to Redbay and other manufacturer for a long time.

In my opinion it is the “Shuffle System” feature of Scot Seats that really sets them apart from other makes. As Joakimhansson stated this allows for sideways movement which makes a big big difference to the loading on your body especially when you come off a bad wave wide ways.

Scots seats or Ullmans? - to me simples – Scot Seats (but only in my humble opinion).

Pic of actual seats borrowed from Gavins portfolio on Flickr.com of the recent Ardbeg trip - thanks Gavin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6111226773_251c3e5d55_o[1].jpg
Views:	430
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	63553  
Old 27 October 2011, 16:05   #14

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Not Implieing anthing,and GOOD LUCK to anyone who inovates AND competes in the Free Market place,God knows this country needs them! As usual, Only stateing a few facts, and MY opinion....As someone who HAS tried BOTH! And will hopefully up-grade sometime to... Ulmans.
Do you mean you had a short ride/demo or was it a long distance cruise. This makes a difference.

I have tried both - the Ullman only on short distances and this was off the Isle of Lewis (the other side and the weather was rough). those seats did not have side support wings which I now believe are available from Ullman. The ride for sure made a difference from one on standard pods

I had the Scotseats on my last demo rib Black Magic and here I covered many Nm including a run in F5 on the Baltic and a F3 from Dover to Southampton. I prefer the Scotseat as it has a better back support when standing but not the very best as on both brands the width of seats do ristrict full back support.

a seat is however designed for sitting and the sitting is just great

Both manufactures should slightly reduce the width of the pod so you can stand without a bow in your legs and then you have a perfect seat
Old 27 October 2011, 16:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
you tried them both on identical boats with the same driver, in the same conditions, in weather where suspension seating was essential? Otherwise its not an educated decision. IMHO the vast majority of leisure users would be better spending their x*£2000+ on specific training / coaching, better/bigger hulls, and more fuel gaining the experience if they really want to go out in nasty conditions. Still I suppose if you've got money to spend Ullmans certainly gain you some 'macho points' sipping G&T at the marina bar.
Never wanting to be assosiated with that Horrid lot ''The Vast Majority'' I suppose,as ususal it all comes down to your point of view. The thread title sets the agenda,( You may want to remind yourself of it!) we merely relate our EXPERIANCE,(Which on this occasion as you freely admit that ...YOU HAVE NONE) with the hope (maybe vane) it could be of some value to other Forum users.
As to being educated or not,that must be up to (With of course the Absolutely Indespencible,Omnipitant, help and Assistance of our all knowing Moderators)... The user.
Now I'm Bored.

Old 27 October 2011, 16:45   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
just keep your fingers out of the mechanism!!!

This concerns me as an operator. I have looked at fitting shock reduction seats and no one can help me on the issue of fingers/hands close to the movements. Once a boat is loaded with people we helm according to the sea conditions and manage shock though speed reduction to meet this legislation.

I am sure a lawyer would tell me the shock reduction methods do not meet the legislation , but what would they say if we injured a client with moving seat parts?

Always looking for improvements and compliance. Sorry slightly off post direction
Old 27 October 2011, 17:49   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Never wanting to be assosiated with that Horrid lot ''The Vast Majority''
don't worry I'm sure your special!

Quote:
we merely relate our EXPERIANCE,(Which on this occasion as you freely admit that ...YOU HAVE NONE)
I see your reading skills are as good as your typing... ...I've had a spell on a Scotseat (as well as some of their "indoor type seating") but it wasn't in long enough or rough enough conditions to know if it was that much better that a jockey.

Quote:
The thread title sets the agenda... with the hope (maybe vane) it could be of some value to other Forum users.
I assume, perhaps wrongly that the OP is actually looking for serious shock mitigation / comfort and not just vanity seating. I'm just challenging your claim that Ullman are better without any credible explanation. So perhaps since you have tried both you'd like to tell him the conditions you used them in, the boats they were on etc - and WHY you felt the Ullmans were better - where they more comfortable? more secure? better built? easier to adjust? Obviously its like hulls and some people will prefer one more than the other. I've no problem with that if there is something more than hype or a five minute trial at a boat show to base that on - if people are going to advise others of their views.
Old 27 October 2011, 18:38   #18

Like I said, Boreing....If you can you do...if you can'nt you Moderate eh Poley

Old 31 October 2011, 22:13   #19

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
For 2k a pop they can all keep their fecking seats. This is Ribnet after all where has the DIY spirit gone?

I recommend a large cushion gaffa taped to an upturned bucket. Best thing is the bucket also doubles up as the onboard comode.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 22:22   #20

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
For 2k a pop they can all keep their fecking seats. This is Ribnet after all where has the DIY spirit gone?

I recommend a large cushion gaffa taped to an upturned bucket. Best thing is the bucket also doubles up as the onboard comode.
I agree