Old 19 December 2010, 16:16   #1

Town: dublin
Boat name: Charlie Fox
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
tube repair

Looking for some advise please. New to boating. Bought a 2007 Zodiac Pro Open 5.5 with 110hrs in early October and have keep it in a dublin Marina since then. Put in indoor storage on Sun. 12 th Dec. Today (Sun. 19th Dec.) tubes are completely deflated. Pumped up all 5 compartments to find two air leaks at the end of each tube from the seams where the tube joins the cone shaped ending. Can anyone explain how this might happen especialy in the same places at the same time. It was in the marina for 2 very cold weeks previous. Also, I brought it for a half hour run before putting it in storage and there was a noticeable flapping/clicking noise from the tubes at the back of the boat that I had not heard before. Although the air leaks are to the stern tube compartments how come all 5 compartments deflated ? is this easy to repair ? Many Thanks.
Old 19 December 2010, 16:58   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
It sounds like the bulkheads are leaking, if you over pressure one chamber to the next you might be able to hear it leaking through if you put your ear to the bulkhead, you should be able to see it through the tube.
Are the coe ends plastic? If they get cold they can go brittle and start leaking as a result, is there any sign of any damage?
Old 19 December 2010, 17:07   #3

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Most branded boats carry a 5 year tube warrenty. check with a zodiac supplier.That is if it has zodiac tubes and not an after market set thats been done by a retuber thats unreliable(its posible as they i think they slide off)
Old 19 December 2010, 17:23   #4

Town: Dartmouth
As mentioned, check with Zodiac too, i believe these are Slide on/off and will more than likely be replaced by them if there is a manufacturing fault.
If you have no joy with the warranty speak to Paul Tilley he can do good deals from Zodiac.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:20   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I umderstand you have leaks in the rear compartments but it might be worth cjecking the valvees in the other three, as well
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2010, 08:24   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
One thing to bear in mind is the current air temperature. It was -19 last night (Aberdeenshire), so it's not unusual for tubes to go soft relatively quickly.

The Zodiac Pro tubes are made using Strongan Duotex material (PVC). They're also available in hypalon, but more than likely it's PVC.

I don't think the Pro 550 came with pressure release valves, however they may be inter-communicating valves? One thing would be to check the rubber diaphram in the valves. They deteriorate over time and air loss will occur, although the cap should provide airtight seal. A zodiac dealer can order replacement diaphrams. Details here: http://www.westportmarina.com/zodiac/ZodValveParts.html

The tubes are covered by 5-year warranty, so if the seam has separated then it should be covered. A repair can be carried out, but this should be a last resort. Check with main dealer first. You'll need the yellow warranty paperwork in order to claim.
Old 24 December 2010, 07:53   #7

Town: dublin
Boat name: Charlie Fox
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
Many thanks for all your good advise. Have a great Christmas and 2011.