Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2002, 19:32   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Tube management, deflate in winter?

Can anyone tell me whether you should partly or fully deflate your tubes if the boat is standing during the Winter months. I would also be interested in the same for Summer.

And do dark coloured tubes need any different maintenance to light coloured tubes (do they get hotter in the sun and explode)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I might be buying a RIB on Saturday and when I saw it last week the tubes were part deflated. I was told this was something to do with the hot weather. Maybe it was just a lot of 'hot air', they are Henshaw black tubes.

Pete
Old 18 September 2002, 19:51   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Flanker

Quicksilver (second smallest boat on Ribnet) is left inflated all year round in my garage in Scotland. It is in the dry and air can circulate around it so it does not get mildew on it. It has white/grey PVC tubes and I understand that these are no so prone to fading as black or red hypalon tubes.

Before I leave it, it gets thoroughly washed with fresh water then dried out. I inflate it fully to check everything is okay, then I let a little air out of the tubes. This takes the strain of everything (remember it is a sib) and also takes into account any extra tube pressure caused by temperature rises.

When I brought it down to Birminggham for the SoC sendoff it lived in the garage here for 3 months folded up. I did ask the manufacturers about storage and they told me if it was left inflated to take a little air out of the tubes so that the air inside did not expand and cause overinflation. They also said it was designed to be stored folded as well.

Keith (still serious about Orkney) Hart
Old 18 September 2002, 20:41   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Keith,

As i said before, i'm quite serious about a few days in scotland and becoming an honary SIBster for a trip out. Having spoken to Pete (AKA Flanker) earlier he is thinking about getting a SIB for his RIB so if we rope him in thats three of us...

Daniel (look - brackets like keith) Hawkes
Old 18 September 2002, 21:21   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
our humber has black tubes and we spec'd it up with pressure relief valves-best thing we ever did. We can run with the tubes as hard as we want but don't have to worry while we're in the pub and the boats out on its trailer in the sun. (many years ago they split the tubes on an inshore lifeboat up here leaving it out on a PR job in the sun!)
Old 18 September 2002, 21:29   #5

It an auto-releaf valve something that just screws into the exsisting valve reciprocal and replaces a standard valve or a whole seperate assembly?
Old 18 September 2002, 21:45   #6
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Valid question Flanker as I believe Humber recommend relief valves with black tubes because of the extra heat absorption over lighter colours but these come at extra cost. I noticed in your pics that the tubes seemed a bit soft so its something to check on. My fellow searat Jonjo is prone to wind and I always wonder if the noise is similar to a tube letting go. Daniel, the ones Ive seen are a separate assembly from the blow up bit.
Old 18 September 2002, 23:10   #7

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
My new Humber, (dark blue tubes), has relief valves. These are EXTRA plastic bits placed in the tubes near the ordinary valves. My last boat didn't have them and it was a worry, especially when I towed it over the Alps to Italy. (The road tunnels get to 100 degrees F in the middle). I had to remember to let some air out. With valves on you just forget it.
Bear in mind that the temperature change on dark tubes makes a very big difference as to how 'hard' they are. During the last bit of hot weather mine were 'bouncy' in the sun but very deflated looking in the cool of the morning. If the boat you looked at was pumped fairly hard in the heat of last month, they could well be a bit soggy by now if no more has been pumped in, so it may be nothing to worry about. Mind you, if I were selling a boat, I would probably put a bit of puff in before someone came to see it!

MC
Old 19 September 2002, 08:10   #8

Mike,

The boat is being sold by the Tohatsu main importers in Lymington. They must know what they are doing (I hope). The boat had it's tubes slightly let down on purpose as it has been stored in the open. When I first saw it I asked about that as it didn't look right (not fully inflated) I asked why it was like that, they explained about the heat e.t.c. but I didn't fully take it in. I guess it makes sense that a darker colour will get a lot hotter than a lighter one, just like the difference between walking on tarmac or the white line! I seem to remember them saying that you have to be careful if you fully inflate it when it is hot as when it cools there may then be too much air in it. I think the valves will be on my shopping list if you can let me know where to get them. Again I guess if the valve let's the air out you need a pump to put it back in when the weather changes. Being new to all this stuff, what kind of pump do you use for a RIB ?

I did also ask Tohatsu a question about the glue, I don't know if that sounded stupid, but I didn't want the glue to melt if the tubes got hot. The reply was that RIB glue needs to be hot to go off, any views on that. I once had a handheld GPS (Garmin e-map) fixed to my dash with velcro, I was in the south of France and with the heat the glue melted and the GPS slid down the dash (what a mess of glue), anyway I have now paid my £22 and got the windscreen sucker GPS holder, I have no problems with that now.

This Forum is great for sensible discussion, thanks!!!

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 08:18   #9

Morning pete!

Er, from what i gather adding releaf-valves is not a quick home job. I had a look on henshaw's site - http://www.henshaw.co.uk - and they do list a releaf valve, but it is not clear if it replaces the exsisting valve or is an additional fitment.

From what people have said they are additional valves, and as such would require a professional fit, although they are only £14 each - one per compartment.

Beleive it or not, i use a conventional 'bellows' type pump - intended for a SIB i beleive - but i'm interested to see if anyone uses one of the upright 'efficient' kind i have seen advertised?
Old 19 September 2002, 08:21   #10

Morning Daniel, not long now!

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 08:22   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Another point to consider is that dark tubes will abrade and fade in sunlight faster than light tubes. But both will do so to a degree. An all-over cover for when you are not using the boat is an essential IMHO to reduce UV damage to the tubes. It also keeps the leaves and sh*t out!

I had a boat with yellow tubes and no pressure relief valves and was never really worried about exploding tubes. Did let a bit of puff out when it was really hot. Current boat has blue tubes and again I don't feel that its a huge issue.

Your tubes shouldn't be too full of air in any event. (normal pressure is 2-3 psi) as a bit of "give" is desireable to absorb wave impact!

Alan
Old 19 September 2002, 08:26   #12

My turn to sound stupid...

Alan - What does IMHO stand for?

Sure its obvious though!

Old 19 September 2002, 08:57   #13

Town: Newfoundland
IMHO

IMHO = In my humble opinion

Thought it was a relatively well known bulletin board term like ROFLMAO?!

Alan
Old 19 September 2002, 09:02   #14

Alan,

I didn't know that either, any chance of a small list of common ones with the meaning aswell of course!

Pete
Old 19 September 2002, 09:02   #15

Very funny , i won't take the bait just yet thanks.

Bulletin board - aern't they things that went into the home for antiques along with dial-up modems? Think i'm too young to remember.
Old 19 September 2002, 09:10   #16

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi

I can confirm that tube glue goes off quicker in the heat (see SoC sendoff threads).

Keith () my brackets got stuck togeter Hart
Old 20 September 2002, 17:05   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Pete

There are loads of these acronyms, some more common than others -- have a look here for some more.

Top tip, if you ever want to find out about anything the first step should be to search for it on www.google.com!

John