Old 14 March 2009, 14:11   #1

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
Travel plans to be tracked

I wonder if we will get caught up in this.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090314/...d-dba1618.html
Old 14 March 2009, 21:53   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
YES - the e borders system will be a ngihtmare. Quite why Tony B Liar and Gordon Clown want to stop illegal immigrants is beyond me - it's the legal ones they have let in are the REAL problem!!!

This is totally unworkable. What happens if you name your port of arrival in advance as required and then have to divert last minute because of bad weather - stuck lock gates etc etc?

And what's the point when they don't even bother with customs most of the time at major airports???

Control freak Labour again!!!
Old 14 March 2009, 22:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
YES - the e borders system will be a ngihtmare.
a slight exaggeration there - most people on here will very rarely make a trip that will be affected (presumably within the UK Common Travel Area (Eire, IoM, CIs) will not be included as passports are not required and the system is built around logging passport info?). So for most people it will be a very occassional inconvenience on top of other paperwork they already require for cross channel trips.
Quote:
Quite why Tony B Liar and Gordon Clown want to stop illegal immigrants is beyond me - it's the legal ones they have let in are the REAL problem!!!
What makes you think they want to stop it? they just want to appear to be doing something because the Daily Mail/Express headlines and over emotional responses from folk like yourself.
Quote:
This is totally unworkable. What happens if you name your port of arrival in advance as required and then have to divert last minute because of bad weather - stuck lock gates etc etc?
presumably the same as when an airline lands in an alternative airport because of fog/mechanical difficulty, or a ferry goes to a different port because of weather/strikes etc...

Unworkable no, unnecessary - probably.
Quote:
And what's the point when they don't even bother with customs most of the time at major airports
Are you mixing up HMRC and the UK Borders Agency? e-Borders is about people movements, not duties and taxes. My experience is that UK Borders Agency do have an active (but not very efficient) presence at UK airports.
Old 15 March 2009, 08:52   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
YES - the e borders system will be a ngihtmare. Quite why Tony B Liar and Gordon Clown want to stop illegal immigrants is beyond me - it's the legal ones they have let in are the REAL problem!!!

And what's the point when they don't even bother with customs most of the time at major airports???

Control freak Labour again!!!
Control is the only thing they seem interested in!as for imigration...Great timeing!![not like Mr B-Liar eh!!!
Old 15 March 2009, 21:24   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
a slight exaggeration there - most people on here will very rarely make a trip that will be affected (presumably within the UK Common Travel Area (Eire, IoM, CIs) will not be included as passports are not required and the system is built around logging passport info?). So for most people it will be a very occassional inconvenience on top of other paperwork they already require for cross channel trips.
What makes you think they want to stop it? they just want to appear to be doing something because the Daily Mail/Express headlines and over emotional responses from folk like yourself.
presumably the same as when an airline lands in an alternative airport because of fog/mechanical difficulty, or a ferry goes to a different port because of weather/strikes etc...

Unworkable no, unnecessary - probably.
Are you mixing up HMRC and the UK Borders Agency? e-Borders is about people movements, not duties and taxes. My experience is that UK Borders Agency do have an active (but not very efficient) presence at UK airports.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/17...-by-Government

That's the whole point - when this is implemented you WILL need a passport to go to Eire, IoM, CIs.

it will have a major impact on everyone. You have to tell them where you are going in advance - no chance of just nipping across to Ireland or the CIs on a whim if you happen to be closer than you thought or if the weather changes.

Looks like it will even break some EU laws.
Old 15 March 2009, 22:23   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/17...-by-Government

That's the whole point - when this is implemented you WILL need a passport to go to Eire, IoM, CIs.

it will have a major impact on everyone. You have to tell them where you are going in advance - no chance of just nipping across to Ireland or the CIs on a whim if you happen to be closer than you thought or if the weather changes.

Looks like it will even break some EU laws.
Suggest you might want to read the Bill as currently before parliament then... http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...migration.html

But I think you are missing the point - even if it did have require that - very few people (and certainly not everyone) will actually be significantly inconvenienced - (1) the majority of UK boat owners never leave UK waters. (2) of those that do, most have put significant planning and prepartation into the trip and so filling in a form is not going to be the end of the world. (3) they haven't defined how it will apply to leisure boats yet and are still discussing the practicalities with the RYA.

Which countries have you visited in your RIB in the last 12 months which would have required registration with e-borders?

Just to be clear - I actually think its a pretty pointless waste of tax payers (and airline/ferry passengers) money, and if one wanted to illegally migrate here or travel for terrorism a form or two is hardly going to prevent it. However I am fairly pro-european. I am surprised to see YOU arguing the case in terms of "European Law".