Town: Warrington
Boat name: Rogue One
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30hp
MMSI: 232014871
Tow rope for pulling trailer out

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any knowledge of what type and length of rope would be good for pulling a rib out of the water from the beach, and would a pneumatic jockey wheel help in the sand? The approximate weight of rib and trailer would be 350kg.

Many thanks.
Matt
Old 20 April 2018, 21:22   #2

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
We launch & recover from the beach and use a 50metre webbing to attach to the trailer and tow ball, rope never worked for us

Similar to this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161224385504
Old 20 April 2018, 21:58   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
We regularly recover with rope. We use 60' of nylon rope, probably ⌀ 15mm. This stuff was straight off a deep sea trawler salvaged on a Hebrides beach a few years ago. Tie one end off on the trailer around the winch post lower down and the other end use a loop knot and drop over the hitch on the car.

The secret is to tow with the least amount of rope deployed, and not to tow too far. The other person should be at the jockey wheel just to provide it doesn't plough into the sand and to stop the boat rolling back once you've hauled it clear of the water. Take up the strain until the rope goes taut, then steady torque for a few meters. Shorten the rope as necessary until the boat is clear of the water or the car is on hard standing. As soon as you can get the trailer on the hitch, then hook up.

The rope loop on the towball will be tight after use. Use a little WD40 and prize apart with a screwdriver. Job done.

I'm sure a fatter jockey wheel would help if this is a regular recovery method.
Old 21 April 2018, 08:47   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
12mm polypropylene rope is cheap as chips and has a breaking strain around 2 tonne should be fine for your 350kg boat
The wider the jockey wheel the less it will dig in and attaching the rope to a low point on the trailer will help avoid digging in too
Old 21 April 2018, 13:22   #5

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have used an old climbing rope, perfect as i find with its streatch it avoids the snap you can get with a strap, have used it for many years on beaches where I leave a touch of slack in it and get the truck rolling before the rope goes tight and acts like a giant spring to pull it off the soft sand. Once clear of the water, drop the rope off and back the vehicle up and away you go.

If you know where to ask old climbing ropes are about? They for one age and the other thing if they get fallen on then they get binned, at least for climbing. Scouts might be a place to ask. A small donation always useful.

A mate who climbed gave he an old one.

Dave
Old 21 April 2018, 14:13   #6

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I beach launch in Mexico. A lot of times the beach has cobbles or rocks and I need to pull with a tow strap from farther up the beach to have enough traction with the truck. Really easy to snap off a regular tongue lift if it catches on the rough beach material. I use a good sized galvanized swivel mounted rubber tire. Works great. I remove it after pulling the boat and stow it oriented up on the tongue. A little hassle to move it, but I need the clearance on dirt trails.

Always tie off to the trailer when launching! Rolled my trailer down into an estuary to pick up my boat and it kept going. Had to free dive down and attach the anchor line to get it back. Only took once
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	124337  
Old 21 April 2018, 16:00   #7

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I have just got back from fishing I'm with Dave climbing rope I got from a out door center works a treat I have two wheels at the front (5inch), I like the idea of kelson could you post some more pic's please.
Old 21 April 2018, 17:49   #8

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
I have used an old climbing rope, perfect as i find with its streatch it avoids the snap you can get with a strap, have used it for many years on beaches where I leave a touch of slack in it and get the truck rolling before the rope goes tight and acts like a giant spring to pull it off the soft sand. Once clear of the water, drop the rope off and back the vehicle up and away you go.

If you know where to ask old climbing ropes are about? They for one age and the other thing if they get fallen on then they get binned, at least for climbing. Scouts might be a place to ask. A small donation always useful.

A mate who climbed gave he an old one.

Dave
Be very sure with a stretchy rope that all the attachment points on vehicle & trailer plus any metalwork such as shackles used are of top quality & undamaged.
For all intents & purposes you are using a KERR & if something breaks it will be propelled at high speed as the rope recovers with vehicle or trailer in the firing line.
Old 21 April 2018, 19:22   #9

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Sorry slate1234. I looked and it doesn't seem that I have any photos of the launch wheel in use. I guess because I'm usually busy. I'll attach another photo of the wheel positioned on the trailer. It just un bolts and flips under the tongue. Really rough beaches at some of the estuaries. Sometimes we are rolling over shelves of rock. The swivel tire works great to keep the coupler/tongue clear and adjusts its angle when hitting obstacles or with a less than perfect driving line causes the pull to be uneven. Kind of overkill for most launches. But I broke off my trailer jack and damaged my coupler 500 miles from San Diego going over a steep slope of cobble stones outside of Abreojos Mexico. Two buddies tried to keep the jack rolling without hanging up. Not a good experience.

The shock cord is just there to keep the wheel from swiveling around while it's being towed.

And, yes, I wouldn't use climbing rope if your boat is heavy, you are using a long line or are facing obstacles. I have a 75ft tow strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	launch wheel.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	124341  
Old 21 April 2018, 20:07   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
350kg combined boat and trailer? Or boat only? Still very light wide sand wheels for trailer 20.5x8-10 and pneumatic jockey wheel will help as will lift the no pose of trailer slightly when setting off.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:48   #11

Tanks for the reply I'm only pulling a 3.2m ribe and 18hp tohatsu 2 stroke so not a heavy load for the rope, I could do with a front wheel that will last more than a season really or wheels, just can't think of quick swing down wheel design if anyone has any ideas they would be welcome.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:54   #12

Could use something like this https://www.tridentuk.com/gb/product...SABEgLJgvD_BwE
Old 22 April 2018, 08:57   #13

I’ve used this type twin wheel jockey
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F152047923802
Old 22 April 2018, 08:58   #14

Proabably over kill for your rig

https://goo.gl/images/83dfYG
Old 22 April 2018, 10:36   #15

Thanks all for the ideas
Old 22 April 2018, 10:56   #16

Where are you launching from ?
Old 22 April 2018, 11:01   #17

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
I've seen a nice setup where someone had their spare trailer wheel fitted to a hub on a vertical boom on the draw bar that swivelled through 180 degrees and doubled as a sand jockey wheel. That looked smart.....
Old 22 April 2018, 11:07   #18

Pensarn I either fish of llandullas or the wind farm, any pics please tango,
Paul