Old 01 July 2011, 10:24   #1

Town: newcastle upo tyne
Boat name: vyper1
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard, petrol, 75
To Repower or Not to Repower

Hi,

fairly new to boat owning so I'm putting this question out there to those in the know.

Just bought a 2000 4.8 ribcraft; very canny. It's fitted with what I can only say is a very clean looking 75hp 2001 mercury 2 stroke. On taking it out over the past few weekends, it goes really well: 35mph no less; or as the speedometer reads anyway. Though having considered the amount I'm putting in the fuel tank I seem to be getting around 0.85litres to the mile, when running it around the 30000-35000rpm mark; doing in the order of 20mph. Because I'm liking the boat so much I'm keen to go out more and more, and in turn wondering if I might not get better fuel economy/performance from a newer engine. If then I was to re-power, I say then because plenty have told me to hang on to the current engine, what would others recommend: e-tec 60, 75hp, suzuki 60, 75hp FS, or mercury OPTI 60, 75hp. Are these newer engines any faster or more fuel efficient that what I have already. After all I'm using it for 3 weeks of holiday and as many summer weekends as I can.

Anybody got some advise on what to do??

Dale
Old 01 July 2011, 10:44   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Tricky one this.

On the one hand your two-stroke has good power to weight, has simple technology, nice and "pokey" when you put the power on.

On the other hand a four-stroke is going to be quieter, more fuel efficient but heavier.

If you are using less than a liter per mile and getting good speeds, I would be inclined to stick with what you have. But then I would also keep an eye out for a really clean 4s, just in case a real bargain came up!
Old 01 July 2011, 11:25   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
keep what you have
Old 01 July 2011, 19:07   #4

Town: newcastle upo tyne
Boat name: vyper1
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: outboard, petrol, 75
Any reason why you say this; I see you have an e-tec 60hp; aren't they the beez kneez then? would you not recommend one?

dale
Old 02 July 2011, 03:31   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by physdemon View Post
Any reason why you say this; I see you have an e-tec 60hp; aren't they the beez kneez then? would you not recommend one?

dale
Savings are not going to be that massive so if you have the money and fancy a new engine go for it or spend an exra £10 per or so a weekend on fuel and save your money.
If your really into it you may want something a little bigger boat wise in the not to distant future
Old 03 July 2011, 07:24   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Stick with what you've got. The only reason I would change the engine would be if it was underpowered or mechanically on the way out. The 4-stroke Yamaha F60 or Suzuki DF60 weigh in at 110kg, so that would be my choice if you had the cash and could source the engine second-hand.

Decent 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines are difficult to find at a price people are willing to pay. To illustrate - this Optimax 75hp has been for sale for over a year. Now dropped a grand and a half to £4,500. http://www.caleyboats.co.uk/315/Powe...P-Optimax-2008